I need a toy that I could buy from the dollar store that I could show 5 characteristics of Physics with. Preferably....

-Velocity
-Acceleration
-Forces
-Newton's Laws
-Momentum
-Circular Motion
-Rotational Motion

(It has to show at least 5 of these 7)
I can't use a toy car, already asked my teacher. I know this isn't hard but I'm busy reviewing for mid-terms

help would be greatly appreciated!
a ball

EDIT: maybe on a string for circular motion lol

DOUBLE EDIT: See when I said a ball with a string it implied yo-yo like everyone else
Last edited by Biehayn at Dec 10, 2007,
ahhh! a yo-yo!
but some more ideas would help. just in case my teacher doesn't approve.
she's being a bitch lately
Two balls.

Velocity - Roll it.

Acceleration - Push it by building up speed from standstill, or rolling it down a slope.

Forces - Leave it standing still

Newton's Laws - All of the above (you can't do Newton's 3rd without taking some measurements)

Momentum - Roll the first ball into the second ball.

Circular Motion - Spin the ball (considering a point on the equator of the ball).

Rotational Motion - Same as the above, just considering a different point (the centre) of the ball.
umm.. you could use a..
mm no ideaii I think a yo-yo
is the best idea.. I had to do that
same thing too, like two weeks ago..
I bought a car..

you could one of those things that look like
a tennis racket, but have like, a flexible string in
the middle and a ball at the end of the string,
I think this kind of explains Newton's third law--
and also Newton's second law, somehow..

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
When I think physics toys, I think of those hard balls that slap against each other.
Quote by Mr Vile
Two balls.

Velocity - Roll it.

Acceleration - Push it by building up speed from standstill, or rolling it down a slope.

Newton's Laws - All of the above (you can't do Newton's 3rd without taking some measurements)

Circular Motion - Spin the ball (considering a point on the equator of the ball).

Rotational Motion - Same as the above, just considering a different point (the centre) of the ball.

you can do newton's third law with bouncing the ball too

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
how bout a hot wheels track with a loop and a ramp
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Mr Vile
Two balls.

Velocity - Roll it.

thanks for writing that out! but I don't think my teacher will let us use two balls. she said we couldn't use 2 cars and crash them into each other
that was my original plan :[
Quote by Brain245
When I think physics toys, I think of those hard balls that slap against each other.

They're called Newton's Cradles......my old Physics teacher had a really big version.
Quote by Brain245
When I think . . . toys, I think of . . . hard balls that slap against each other.

huh?
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
I did a rubber band powered car with a motor and stuff. Meh, with the right equipment it could've been quite cool.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I'd be tempted to go for a trebuchet really. It worked for my A-Level physics practical.
Quote by gen0doom
I'd be tempted to go for a trebuchet really. It worked for my A-Level physics practical.

trebuchet?
what about one of those nerf guns?
shows: Velocity, acceleration, forces, newtons laws, and momentum.
How about a flow cytometer?
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by gen0doom

Yeah, I had to build one in high school A-physics. Except I built mine a couple feet taller than allowed, and used a lot of weight so it would shoot far, but with little control, so rather than doing it the right way, I counteracted with a heavier projectile. It eventually destroyed itself.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Spinning top

Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Yea, I built one that was about a metre and a half tall, and used a tin full of tungsten carbide as the counterweight, it actually fired pretty far.

To contribute a wee bit more, the trebuchet would display circular and rotational motion.
Quote by gen0doom
A medieval siege weapon, kinda like this

whoa, haha
can you get those at dollar stores?

kudos to whoever mentions the nerf gun
alright guys, i'm heading off to bed
I'll be back tomorrow in my Photo class! thank you everyone that helped so far!
I'll check if these ideas are okay with my teacher, if not, I'll need more!
Canned food.

You can throw it down a ramp, drop it, leave it there (I think thats one of Newton's laws), throw it straight up, and when you're done with it, you can eat it.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Do the tennis racket thing with the string and a ball..
or the medieval thing up here

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by Brain245

That's funny, because when I think about hard balls that slap against eachoth-
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by pawm24
Do the tennis racket thing with the string and a ball..
or the medieval thing up here

can someone give me a picture of the "racket thing with the string and ball"
do you guys mean a paddle ball?

EDIT: my teacher said the yo-yo was fine!
Last edited by BNCpinoyboi at Dec 11, 2007,