Unfortunately, I'm torn between these two amps . And to make matters worse, theres no where to try them out.

I'm going to try something different and not say what tone I'm looking for and I'm going to ask you what each of these amps are good at and how versatile they are. Considering the prices of the Roadking is quite a bit more then the Dual recto.

Thanks

Edit; Always had the question, whats the difference between the RK1 and RK2?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
the roadking will give you far more versatility than just the dual recto, infact you can get the dual recto sound out of the roadking, and i know on the roadking 2 you can choose between multiple tube combinations and multiple tones for all 4 of the channels, its crazy
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
Thats awesome, I also heard you can "Warm up with a sultry 30W, Jam with 60W, play a sold out show with 90, and melt your face off with 120W" With the RK2, read that somewhere hah.

So expensive, saw one on Ebay few days ago go for $1400. Theres one on there now for $2200 :@..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

The RK is basically a Solo head with tons more stuff. If you can get a RK, do it. They are a way better amp.
As far as versatility goes, the Roadking definitely has that; unfortunately though, thats one of its big downfalls . Yes, you can get a similar sound to a dual rec through the RK but it isn't quite the same. There are so many combinations and choices with the RK you end up with a whole lot of **** tones and a couple of good ones. With all of the tube combinations and everything else unless what that RK has to offer is really what you want, or you have the time to really tweak it, your gonna end up with some relatively lame tone for a mesa. As far as the difference between the RK1 and RK2 a lot has to do with the factory defaults that a lot of the RK1s have, apparently most have been worked out in the RK2. A friend of mine had a RK1 and wanted to get it modified by Voodoo, and they told him they won't work on RK1's anymore because so many of them have messed up from factory defects and Voodoo has been blamed for it. If you really like the way a Dual Rec sounds getting a 2 channel would be my best suggestion. Or if you want a somewhat versatile Mesa that actually sounds good, a Mark IV.
I don't quite understand, I've been hearing a lot of people say "unless you know how to tweek it" lately. I mean I've never known how to EQ (Never had to:O). On my Peavey Valveking I just throw on 5-6 Bass 8 Treb, 4 Mids and play ;\.

Last edited by tr3nt at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by tr3nt
I don't quite understand, I've been hearing a lot of people say "unless you know how to tweek it" lately. I mean I've never known how to EQ. On my Peavey Valveking I just throw on 5-6 Bass 8 Treb, 4 Mids and play ;\.

Well on your Peavey there is a lot less stuff to mess with, the RK has a lot more to change. I dunno, it all really comes down to personal preference. My friend bought the RK because he thought, hey I'm gonna be able to get a hundred different badass sounds with this amp. What ended up happening was his amp sounded decent for a few months, while he continuously tried to find the tones he wanted. Then about the time he went to record he realized how ****ty that amp really sounded. Then after another month or two it started having defects and he took it back to GC and got a refund. I've played a RK2 and personally i think its a really weak amp for a mesa, its great on paper, but compared to a Mark IV or a Dual Rec, its really not that great of an amp, and definitely not worth what it costs. I see it like this, i would rather have an amp thats cheaper that i can get 2 or 3 really good sounds out of then an amp that has the capability for 200 really lame tones and in there somewhere 5 or 6 good ones that costs more. Of course, its tone, so its all a matter of personal opinion and a lot of it is fairly minute differences, its all about what you like. Just try not to get caught up in the hype of the "versatility" thing. Also, out of Mesa's huge roster of artists, how many use the RK, even Petrucci dropped it to go back to the Mark IV/ Mark II C+ combo. If it was as great as everyone on here says, wouldn't more professional musicians use it?
Last edited by theamish at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by theamish
Well on your Peavey there is a lot less stuff to mess with, the RK has a lot more to change. I dunno, it all really comes down to personal preference. My friend bought the RK because he thought, hey I'm gonna be able to get a hundred different badass sounds with this amp. What ended up happening was his amp sounded decent for a few months, while he continuously tried to find the tones he wanted. Then about the time he went to record he realized how ****ty that amp really sounded. Then after another month or two it started having defects and he took it back to GC and got a refund. I've played a RK2 and personally i think its a really weak amp for a mesa, its great on paper, but compared to a Mark IV or a Dual Rec, its really not that great of an amp, and definitely not worth what it costs. I see it like this, i would rather have an amp thats cheaper that i can get 2 or 3 really good sounds out of then an amp that has the capability for 200 really lame tones and in there somewhere 5 or 6 good ones that costs more. Of course, its tone, so its all a matter of personal opinion and a lot of it is fairly minute differences, its all about what you like. Just try not to get caught up in the hype of the "versatility" thing. Also, out of Mesa's huge roster of artists, how many use the RK, even Petrucci dropped it to go back to the Mark IV/ Mark II C+ combo. If it was as great as everyone on here says, wouldn't more professional musicians use it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=deGgCuS7tJ4

I love this though .

Quote by tr3nt
I don't quite understand, I've been hearing a lot of people say "unless you know how to tweek it" lately. I mean I've never known how to EQ (Never had to:O). On my Peavey Valveking I just throw on 5-6 Bass 8 Treb, 4 Mids and play ;\.

oh man you'd be in for a treat. most mesa's are not the plug-and-play type, so be prepared to spend collective hours of listening, playing, and tweaking to find what you like.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
oh man you'd be in for a treat. most mesa's are not the plug-and-play type, so be prepared to spend collective hours of listening, playing, and tweaking to find what you like.

Sucks because I don't exactly have an ear for a good tone, only thing I've ever played is my VK and I don't like the tone, thats all I know.

mm, well that's a toughie. there's two ways to look at it then:

get a decent amp cheaper than the mesa (or even go used) that you can work with and further develop your ear

or you could save up for a more expensive, versatile amp that you could learn on. and after a while you'd learn to appreciate and pick apart what you want exactly. it's gonna take some time though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Eh, i dunno, i'm not big on the tone, definitely not for that much money, of course, the sound your hearing is a poorly mic'd youtube video. It does sound better in real life then that video clip. I just don't really think it sounds all that great.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
mm, well that's a toughie. there's two ways to look at it then:

get a decent amp cheaper than the mesa (or even go used) that you can work with and further develop your ear

or you could save up for a more expensive, versatile amp that you could learn on. and after a while you'd learn to appreciate and pick apart what you want exactly. it's gonna take some time though.

I'd rather spend a huge chunk of change on something that I'll absolutely love, and can keep forever then doing this, and my parents will also say something like you just bought an amp. No!! heh.

And Amish, could you find a clip of an amp you like? I'm just curious now.

Oh, the roadking 2 is an orgasm all round.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by tr3nt
I'd rather spend a huge chunk of change on something that I'll absolutely love, and can keep forever then doing this, and my parents will also say something like you just bought an amp. No!! heh.

And Amish, could you find a clip of an amp you like? I'm just curious now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_X1ipipG_A
Mesa Mark IV Lamb of Gods guitarists use one, John Petrucci uses one, I should have one by february next year, theres tones of other clips for different sounds, not as many options as a RK but still very versatile.

Or Peavey 5150 if you like that squishy sorta sound most Peavey amps have plus you can find one for like 500 dollars. I couldn't find a good clip to do the amp justice, but with it, you need a non Peavey cab, and should mod the bias. Clean tone kinda sucks, but good distorted tone, and pretty decent range from rockish stuff to straight metal, look at Van Halen to Machine Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g9LXMX_AUs&feature=related
ENGL E670 Special Edition dunno who really plays them but a friend of mine has one and its great, the micing on this video kinda sucks, but his vids are a decent testimony to the amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joX1tc-HHO8&feature=related
VHT deliverance, also i believe Brian Kahanek used one for that song he played on guitar hero 2.
The VHT and Mark IV were cool, what he played on the Mark wasn't my style at all though.

Quote by tr3nt
The VHT and Mark IV were cool, what he played on the Mark wasn't my style at all though.

Of course you can't go off youtube videos for what you want, what i would do if i were you, is start researching, find as many amp companies you can, and then start going to guitar stores and trying them out. Thats really the only way to know if an amp is what you want. A good way to start is go off bands you've heard that have tone you like. Find out what amps they use then go play them for yourself.
A TON of my favorite bands use the Mesa Rectifier Series. ;\ sorta why I started leaning twords them in the first place.

Quote by tr3nt
A TON of my favorite bands use the Mesa Rectifier Series. ;\ sorta why I started leaning twords them in the first place.

Well just play a bunch, my suggestion would be to go for a 2 channel dual rec. The triple rec and three channel dual both sound sorta lame, also for heavy rhythm stuff, krank revolutions sound great, and are fairly affordable.
^ Just go with the RK. You can get the same exact sounds out of it that you can with a Solo head.
Damn expensive, Im gonna wait til one shows up on ebay, I knew I should have put a bid on that $1300 one few days ago ... The one on there now is $2200 and I'm gonna pass that one up .

Quote by theamish
As far as versatility goes, the Roadking definitely has that; unfortunately though, thats one of its big downfalls . Yes, you can get a similar sound to a dual rec through the RK but it isn't quite the same. There are so many combinations and choices with the RK you end up with a whole lot of **** tones and a couple of good ones. With all of the tube combinations and everything else unless what that RK has to offer is really what you want, or you have the time to really tweak it, your gonna end up with some relatively lame tone for a mesa. As far as the difference between the RK1 and RK2 a lot has to do with the factory defaults that a lot of the RK1s have, apparently most have been worked out in the RK2. A friend of mine had a RK1 and wanted to get it modified by Voodoo, and they told him they won't work on RK1's anymore because so many of them have messed up from factory defects and Voodoo has been blamed for it. If you really like the way a Dual Rec sounds getting a 2 channel would be my best suggestion. Or if you want a somewhat versatile Mesa that actually sounds good, a Mark IV.

No offense but it really seems as though you're talking by what you've heard other people say.

The first hour that I had my roadking I did have a bit of trouble finding a tone I liked. Partly because the tubes in it were old, hissing, and needed replacement ASAP. After all of them were replaced I looked up petrucci's settings to get a feel for how he has the amp setup. I nailed every Dream Theater tone within an hour of that, went on to Metallica. I got the tones from St. Anger which come from the mighty $4600 VH4, then went on to Adam Jones from TOOL. This required some boost due to his insanely distorted dry tone. Within 5 minutes of adjusting my Korg toneworks (NOT THE ROADKING) I nailed his tone as well. All of this on Channel 3 set to modern with 4 6L6.

Also keep in mind I was using a B-52 LG series cab, which I opened up recently to find that B-52 loads them with bass speakers.

As for reliability, this amp was used on tour for 3 years, kept in storage for 2, my only problem has been tubes, which are now new (JJs). You can crank this amps volume to 50% and have the gain at max and not have any hum (I don't even own a noise suppressor!)

The series 1 clean tone is excellent, not a lonestar or F series, but excellent. Very full, very clean, and pretty versatile with tweed, clean and fat and the whole tube selection deal.

I could go on and on about how I think you're talking out of your ass...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
No offense but it really seems as though you're talking by what you've heard other people say.

The first hour that I had my roadking I did have a bit of trouble finding a tone I liked. Partly because the tubes in it were old, hissing, and needed replacement ASAP. After all of them were replaced I looked up petrucci's settings to get a feel for how he has the amp setup. I nailed every Dream Theater tone within an hour of that, went on to Metallica. I got the tones from St. Anger which come from the mighty $4600 VH4, then went on to Adam Jones from TOOL. This required some boost due to his insanely distorted dry tone. Within 5 minutes of adjusting my Korg toneworks (NOT THE ROADKING) I nailed his tone as well. All of this on Channel 3 set to modern with 4 6L6.

Also keep in mind I was using a B-52 LG series cab, which I opened up recently to find that B-52 loads them with bass speakers.

As for reliability, this amp was used on tour for 3 years, kept in storage for 2, my only problem has been tubes, which are now new (JJs). You can crank this amps volume to 50% and have the gain at max and not have any hum (I don't even own a noise suppressor!)

The series 1 clean tone is excellent, not a lonestar or F series, but excellent. Very full, very clean, and pretty versatile with tweed, clean and fat and the whole tube selection deal.

I could go on and on about how I think you're talking out of your ass...

Well man, I'm not really going off what i've heard other people say as far as the way it sounds, i mean i sat there and jammed with the dude who owned one for hours a day, day after day. It wasn's my amp. i didnt personally own one. However, i did hear it, i know how much effort he put into trying to get it to sound good. I dont feel like im talking out my ass but whatever man, its your opinion and this is mine. I think its a really overrated amp, if you like it cool for you man, im glad you have one. This dude asked for opinions, i gave him mine, and its great that you gave him some good insight incase he buys one, but dude your a prick.
Quote by theamish
Well man, I'm not really going off what i've heard other people say as far as the way it sounds, i mean i sat there and jammed with the dude who owned one for hours a day, day after day. It wasn's my amp. i didnt personally own one. However, i did hear it, i know how much effort he put into trying to get it to sound good. I dont feel like im talking out my ass but whatever man, its your opinion and this is mine. I think its a really overrated amp, if you like it cool for you man, im glad you have one. This dude asked for opinions, i gave him mine, and its great that you gave him some good insight incase he buys one, but dude your a prick.

Everything you've said could be pulled from the Carvin V3 amp comparison, or one disgruntled boogie owner, or a marshall owner who is good at BSing.

I don't see how anyone could have trouble finding a good tone, right out of the box, with crap tubes I was getting decent tones. After I got the new tubes onboard this thing was slaying. So warm, thick, aggressive, not fizzly.

I know it's possible to have two different opinions but I don't see how the reliability would be a concern at all.

What didn't you like about the tone anyway?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Basically... anything mesa puts out, like that other guy said, you have to play around with settings and see what you like, you may even have to put in different tubes to get the exact tone you are looking for, dependent on what you want
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
Quote by zparticus
Basically... anything mesa puts out, like that other guy said, you have to play around with settings and see what you like, you may even have to put in different tubes to get the exact tone you are looking for, dependent on what you want

Not necessarily true. On both my F-100 and Roadking I've went very extreme with settings and still been pleased. Most Mark owners tend to have it scooped, which is still full of mids. Their picky amps would have to be the Dual and Triple recto solo heads; everything else is fairly self explanatory IMO.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Everything you've said could be pulled from the Carvin V3 amp comparison, or one disgruntled boogie owner, or a marshall owner who is good at BSing.

I don't see how anyone could have trouble finding a good tone, right out of the box, with crap tubes I was getting decent tones. After I got the new tubes onboard this thing was slaying. So warm, thick, aggressive, not fizzly.

I know it's possible to have two different opinions but I don't see how the reliability would be a concern at all.

What didn't you like about the tone anyway?

Well, a lot of what i didn't like about the amp, on a heavy setting, had to do with pick attack. When i played it was as if i had to beat the **** out of the strings to really get a solid sound through it, a very similar problem with the Stiletto he had before the RK. And for me that made it feel sorta limited with dynamic. Also with picking, theres this sound on the gain settings that came along with the pick noise that i dont really know how to describe other then i didnt like it. And i dunno, with lower gain stuff, like medium to low gain rythm tones, it just sounded sort of dry. Those were a few of the things that made me really not like it, it was little stuff. I will say in its defense, it responded better with my Gmajor then any other amp ive used it with and exept a lonestar, probably my favorite clean tone from any mesa ive played. Like i said before though, thats just me. Everyone likes different sounds, but with Petrucci, you say in an hour you got every dream theater tone, well that seems sorta weird to me, that with all the amps versatility, if you could get every dream theater tone so quick, why would he switch back to the Marks from his RKs? If it can get every sound he needs why would he need a different amp? I dunno man, I think the Mark series, and for what they do the dual recs sound better. If you dont, thats ok, im not trying to talk you into selling your RK, or him out of buying one, i was just trying to tell him to go try one before he shells out that much money, when theres something he may like more that costs less.
Quote by theamish
Well, a lot of what i didn't like about the amp, on a heavy setting, had to do with pick attack. When i played it was as if i had to beat the **** out of the strings to really get a solid sound through it, a very similar problem with the Stiletto he had before the RK. And for me that made it feel sorta limited with dynamic. Also with picking, theres this sound on the gain settings that came along with the pick noise that i dont really know how to describe other then i didnt like it. And i dunno, with lower gain stuff, like medium to low gain rythm tones, it just sounded sort of dry. Those were a few of the things that made me really not like it, it was little stuff. I will say in its defense, it responded better with my Gmajor then any other amp ive used it with and exept a lonestar, probably my favorite clean tone from any mesa ive played. Like i said before though, thats just me. Everyone likes different sounds, but with Petrucci, you say in an hour you got every dream theater tone, well that seems sorta weird to me, that with all the amps versatility, if you could get every dream theater tone so quick, why would he switch back to the Marks from his RKs? If it can get every sound he needs why would he need a different amp? I dunno man, I think the Mark series, and for what they do the dual recs sound better. If you dont, thats ok, im not trying to talk you into selling your RK, or him out of buying one, i was just trying to tell him to go try one before he shells out that much money, when theres something he may like more that costs less.

It's not like he officially switched back to the Marks, if you watch Systematic Chaos DVD you can see the roadking being used in a few songs, along with a triple recto and Mark series.

If you want to lighten the pick attack burn all the tubes, 4 6L6's on modern is your basic recto tone. Add the 2 EL34s to add more mids and bass, then cut back on the presence. For more pick attack, crank the mids way up, treble to about 70%, and the bass to about 60%, presence at 50% with 2 EL34s and 2 6L6s. If you're really concerned cut it on Bold or put JJ tubes in it.

Even then, 99% of pros that use boogies also run a ton of pedals in front of them, and this usually includes a boost/OD of some sort which would give you the expanded versatility on top of what this amp already offers.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's not like he officially switched back to the Marks, if you watch Systematic Chaos DVD you can see the roadking being used in a few songs, along with a triple recto and Mark series.

If you want to lighten the pick attack burn all the tubes, 4 6L6's on modern is your basic recto tone. Add the 2 EL34s to add more mids and bass, then cut back on the presence. For more pick attack, crank the mids way up, treble to about 70%, and the bass to about 60%, presence at 50% with 2 EL34s and 2 6L6s. If you're really concerned cut it on Bold or put JJ tubes in it.

Even then, 99% of pros that use boogies also run a ton of pedals in front of them, and this usually includes a boost/OD of some sort which would give you the expanded versatility on top of what this amp already offers.

What i was trying to get at with the whole Petrucci thing was, I'm not saying he scrapped his RK, i just meant, if the RK could get the same sound, there would be no reason to use the other amp. It's a different amp, yes you can get a lot of different sounds, but they aren't the same. But i dunno, I dont hate the amp, i just think thats a whole lot of money for something that to me is impractical and doesn't sound, to me, as good as a lot of other amps. I like simplicity, i can take a Mark IV, mess with it for a few minutes and get it so i can get the sounds i want and would use in the context of most songs i play with just switching on the footswitch. I couldn't get as many tones, but i could get what i want, and its faster and simpler, and thats good enough for me. Especially since its hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Quote by theamish
What i was trying to get at with the whole Petrucci thing was, I'm not saying he scrapped his RK, i just meant, if the RK could get the same sound, there would be no reason to use the other amp. It's a different amp, yes you can get a lot of different sounds, but they aren't the same. But i dunno, I dont hate the amp, i just think thats a whole lot of money for something that to me is impractical and doesn't sound, to me, as good as a lot of other amps. I like simplicity, i can take a Mark IV, mess with it for a few minutes and get it so i can get the sounds i want and would use in the context of most songs i play with just switching on the footswitch. I couldn't get as many tones, but i could get what i want, and its faster and simpler, and thats good enough for me. Especially since its hundreds of dollars cheaper.

You should also know that Petrucci is a bit mental when it comes to gear. Even his guitar tech has said that it's hard to convince him to go the easier route when it comes to achieving tones. He had to build a "volume box" because Petrucci just flat out refused to turn his guitar down to 9 to get better clean tones, so now there's this little plastic box with a 500K pot set to 9 that gets switched in for clean sections.
I've never played a Roadking, but I now own a Mark IV, and I love it. It's very versatile, and i can get all sorts of tones from it.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by mlkIII
I've never played a Roadking, but I now own a Mark IV, and I love it. It's very versatile, and i can get all sorts of tones from it.

Why would you bump this thread? He's already gotten the Roadster.
get a roadster
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55