i have always been under the impression that active pickups were always better the passive, but i know some people have said that they prefer passive pickups, to active ones.

are theyre benefits to having passive pickups as opposed to active ones?
Where'd you ever get that impression?

I don't like active pickups because I think you lose a lot of responsiveness with them.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Generally actives have more gain, better harmonics, pretty much an all over better metal sound. actives usually lack better clean tones though, while passives are more versitile providing better cleans and crunch, so pretty much actives for great metal, passives for everything else. i have active emgs and they are the best.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
i have the zakk wylde emg set and now i will never put another set of pickups in my guitars ever.
ditto, actives are only good for metal
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I find active pickups to be very sterile and lack dynamics and feeling. Plus, you can get much more variety in passives
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It basically breaks down to this:

If you play exclusively metal go for the actives. If you like to play anything that isn't metal go with a good set of passives.
Very true. If you're playing death metal or gore or any of that stuff, go for active pickups. Otherwise go for passive.
Actually active pickups aren't only for metal. You guys are either jumping on the bandwagon or only played the EMG 81 in the bridge (and even that can be versatile enough).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?