Alright, I'm looking to transfer to an art school next year. If I get in, I'll be playing bass in the jazz band. Whether I get in or not is a lottery, so that's not what this is about, but how well and what I play will determine whether I'm in the advanced or the beginning jazz band. Right now I'm thinking that my audition piece will be The Chicken (popularized by Jaco Pastorius). Does this seem like a piece that will impress a jazz teacher enough to let me into the advanced band? Is it even a good idea to audition on it?
I think The Chicken is a more 'intermediate' piece. If you really want to impress them play Donna Lee or Portrait of Tracy (both by Jaco)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Or actually play some jazz pieces that he may know.

I mean, play some Charlie Parker, or Miles Davis. You dont need to play some, crazy, fast song, or whatever your going to do, to impress him.

Hell, the music I play in Jazz Band is easy, but anytime I do a walking bass line (lets say if someone is soloing), then its all about theory.

Or just make up some cool jazz line.
first off: like the avitar and quote under it goober

now. if you go in and play something thats just crazy fast. people are going to think thats all you can do. find somethign with alot of speed and tempo shifts. showing that you are a well versed player
Quote by damienblack333
first off: like the avitar and quote under it goober

now. if you go in and play something thats just crazy fast. people are going to think thats all you can do. find somethign with alot of speed and tempo shifts. showing that you are a well versed player

Just play dream theater: lost of speed, theory and tempo shifts: I would suggest the Dance Of Eternity, it would blow him away!
I'd actually go for a Bach suite on bass, that gives really high chances of getting in schools.
Quote by sidious
Just play dream theater: lost of speed, theory and tempo shifts: I would suggest the Dance Of Eternity, it would blow him away!

The idea of auditioning for a jazz band is to show that you can fit into a jazz setting well. Playing DT will NOT do it for him. It's not what they're looking for.

TS, don't play anything by Jaco, play actual jazz pieces. Play a walking bassline, play a well known, quite good, jazz staple.
Quote by Tallman
+1 on what DB said.

Autumn Leaves for instance.

And I'll concur on Tallman's choice of song. That's a good basic jazz piece you can spin endless variations on. Good walking bass line song. Good song to show bass "chords" (if you are playing electric). Its simple but you can show your ability to adapt within a jazz setting quite well with this piece.

Good luck!
I will suggest you something that I played on most auditions and always passed - Mr P.C. by John Coltrane. That will get you anything.
The jazz student
Jazz Audition
1. show you can improv a walking bassline
2. improv some bebop
3. do what damienblack333 said and find a piece with a lot of speed and tempo shifts
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
Jazz Audition
1. show you can improv a walking bassline
2. improv some bebop
3. do what damienblack333 said and find a piece with a lot of speed and tempo shifts

Alright, can anyone direct me to some sheet music that has opportunities for me to improv and shift tempo? I only get one prepared piece and one sight reading thing, so I need to have one piece that will impress.