I live in Australia but am taking a holiday and goin up to the US next year. Goin to visit some family up there.
I was thinking of buying a guitar while i'm up there and bring it down here to Australia. They're much cheaper up there in the states and places like guitar centre have a really good range of stuff.

Does anyone know any good guitar/music shops around the New York or Los Angeles area?

I was thinking of getting an American Standard Strat which is going for around $970 USD or a Fender Limited Edition John Mayer Signature Strat (with case) which is going for around $1,500 USD on www.guitarcenter.com . Any thoughts on these guitars?

I play mostly blues (John Mayer Trio, SRV, etc) and a bit of AC/DC and Foo Fighters type rock.

Thanks
Last edited by blackdenim at Dec 23, 2007,
I dont know much but my local Music centre just got some kind of strat that only 100 were made and its for sale for $1,500. Owner said he's gonna buy it in a week if no one does. Its kickass looking.
Quote by blackdenim
I live in Australia but am taking a holiday and goin up to the US next year. Goin to visit some family up there.
I was thinking of buying a guitar while i'm up there and bring it down here to Australia. They're much cheaper up there in the states and places like guitar centre have a really good range of stuff.

Does anyone know any good guitar/music shops around the New York or Los Angeles area?

I was thinking of getting an American Standard Strat which is going for around $970 USD or a Fender Limited Edition John Mayer Signature Strat (with case) which is going for around $1,500 USD on www.guitarcentre.com. Any thoughts on these guitars?

I play mostly blues (John Mayer Trio, SRV, etc) and a bit of AC/DC and Foo Fighters type rock.

Thanks

New York:

-Matt Umanov; very friendly staff and good pricing

-The Music Zoo; on Long Island, but still close to the city

-The Guitar Asylum; also on Long Island, but quite far out.

Those three are great, especially Matt Umanov. There are also many other stores, like Sam Ash and Guitar Center of course. And finally there are also Manny's Music and Rudy's Music Stop among some of the guitar shops on 48th street.

I was in New York a few months ago and I'm pretty confident I went to pretty much all music stores there (I spent three days trying to visit as many as I could).

One word of advice though, I forgot the name, but there is one store which advertises as being enormous and as having a very large selection of used instruments. It's not worth it, unless you've always wanted to see a collection of around 150 dusty, badly cleaned, guitars.

As far as LA goes, why not try San Francisco instead, not only is it a much nicer city, they have some cool music shops as well.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Dec 11, 2007,
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Manny's is great, and the Guitar Center in NY is effing enormous.

Hope you have a good time here.

Out of all the guitar stores I went to the Guitar Center was one of the most disappointing;

-not a very unique or interesting collection (although they do have a lot)

-as all guitar centers, quite noisy.

-very pushy staff. The guy almost didn't let me leave before buying a Jackson RR.

The other stores I mentioned, including Sam Ash, have a more interesting collection.

Matt Umanov also has a bunch of Fenders, so they might have the guitar you're looking for.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Out of all the guitar stores I went to the Guitar Center was one of the most disappointing;

-not a very unique or interesting collection (although they do have a lot)

-as all guitar centers, quite noisy.

-very pushy staff. The guy almost didn't let me leave before buying a Jackson RR.

The other stores I mentioned, including Sam Ash, have a more interesting collection.

Matt Umanov also has a bunch of Fenders, so they might have the guitar you're looking for.

I didn't say the store was good, I just said it was huge.

That's typical of GC. Anybody who goes into one expecting an easy transaction has another thing coming.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
I didn't say the store was good, I just said it was huge.

That's typical of GC. Anybody who goes into one expecting an easy transaction has another thing coming.

I wasn't even expecting a transaction...

I was in New York with the objective to visit as many guitar stores as I could and to find the nicest guitar for around 1200$, which was the Ibanez RG550MXX 20th ann. model.

I did the same thing in Brussels ones and I went to all the guitar stores in the city in two days, which is quite an achievement, considering my mother doesn't play guitar/like them enough to spend hours in shops.

Anyway, when in NY I went to the GC and made the mistake of asking someone from the staff to get a Jackson down from the rack.

He insisted that I tried it over two different amps and then kept us waiting for about 15 minutes because he wanted to give us a super deal.

When I told him I really didn't want it, like I had told him a few times before, he gave me the sad puppy look, to no avail.
Hey thanks for all the advice guys. Its good knowing that people half a world away are willing to give up their time to help out. Thanks.

BTW has anyone played a JM strat or an American Standard Strat? Any thoughts on these? and are the prices at Guitar Centre the same as they say they are on their website?

Thanks again.
Last edited by blackdenim at Dec 20, 2007,
i would definatly go with a Gibson SG standard. very nice, and very versatile.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Gibson... really? I never considered that. Thanks for bring it up. Will look into it.

Im after the classic bluesy fenderish tone tho.