So I got my bass about a week ago,Fender Deluxe Active P Special. Blizzard pearl/maple fretboard. I love it, I was getting frustrated with my VM Squier because I couldn't get the tones I wanted at times but with this bass I can get the sound ive always wanted plus. I was hesitant about buying it because of the gold pickguard I thought it would be hidious on a silver bass. Turns out its a darker gold than in the pictures and has a bit of a sparkle to it, and its not a silver colored body like it looks in the pictures I shouldve guessed that from its name "blizzard pearl". Its the same white pearl color as newer Cadillacs. It looks great I put several pics of it on my profile. I love the feel of the maple fretboard and jazz neck. Ive been playing it out of the box but I will probably get it set up soon. If anybody has thought about getting this bass you defiantly should. Anyway I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me with.

Ive been using ernie ball strings and ive been wanting to try others so what strings can give me a pop punk/punk sound and a nice warm funky tone?

Is this normal? The pickups being so high and slanted?

My E string doesn't sound quite the way I want it to, anything I can do to give it more of a rounder tone, it sounds sort of flat and bland if that makes sense?
what that set up does is try to give a "piano" sound to the bass. so you can tell when youre running from your E string all the way to the G string. check your G and see if it gives a desired tone. if it does leave taht part of the P pickup alone. as for the E. you want it to be higher or lower in sound?

if higher: get a screw driver and ever so gently start raising that part of the pickup.

if lower: lower it.
I'm fairly certain the pickup is meant to be like that although it does look a little abnormally high but it's probably just the camera angle. It's definitely a nice looking bass.

And for strings, I'd suggest Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. If you're not already using them. A lot of pop-punk bands use them.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
my D and G string sound fine but my E and A sound bland and flat so I guess I should lower that part?

I use EB hybrid slinkies on my Squier I bought some regular slinkies to use on this bass but im not sure If I want to use them or If I should sell them to a friend and try some other strings out
raising gives it more mids. lowering less. that low on the e and a probably means it sounds kinda like a dull thud, right
Yeah, Precision basses do have a kinda "plonky" E string (which explains why there are very few P-Style 5-strings, as the B would be worse). As far as pickup angles go, yours actually isn't that "bad" - I've seen ones where the side of the pickup goes literally under the pick guard. As far as getting rid of the plonk, EQ on your amp economically, and try re-angling the pickup. The boost in output might help.

Might I add that the colour combo is beautiful. Granted I prefer the gold/navy blue scheme (must be due to my Warwick), but I was kicking myself after I realized that Fender made my Jazz bass in Blizzard Pearl a few days after I ordered it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
pickup and intonation setup are my sub specialities in music. i learned how from the luthier in town

ok. now that thats out of the way. plug your bass in and get your phillips head screw driver. pluck the E, then A. hate the sound. turn your screwdriver to the left to losen the tension of the pickups spring, go about a quarter to a half turn and repeat step one until you are satisfied
I always mess with my EQ thats one reason I didn't want a active bass because I knew id always fool around with the settings lol. Ill fool around with it later and try to get a setting on my amp that sounds good on both my basses so I don't have to change it when I switch from one bass to another. Adjusteing my EQ and pickup sounds like it will solve my problem of the dull thud. I will get to that tomorrow and see how it sounds :] Thanks for the help

I almost got the navy blue one but I really wanted a silver colored bass. I was really surprised to see the pearl color it turned out to be but I like it much more than silver. I don't think I will ever get anything with a rosewood fretboard again though, I love the maple.
most welecome. any more questions about it feel free to PM me here.

it is a sleek and sexy bass. i'd get one if i wasnt trying to get a schecter custom 6 and an endorcement from schecter
The pickups come that way - adjust them and get the sound you like best! I'm very jealous - I really want one of these Ps. Nick Oliveri uses them live and he's one of my bass heroes.
I have the same bass and had the same problems with low notes sounding really bland. What I normally do is keep the second nob that controls the pick-up blenidng all the way down, or mostly down, and keep the low end EQ on the bottom of the of the pot-pan no more than halfway up.

Really, I think it's the jazz pick-up that does most of it, it will suck a lot of tone out of your bass if you try to max it out with the precesion.

Unfortunately, you can't mute the P pup and just go solo on the jazz. That would make it a lot better, IMO. You can only add Jazz, not take away precesion.
I keep it the pickup knob at both, I really like the sound. Im going to adjust my pickups later.

Anybody have any suggestions for warm funky sounding strings?
Quote by BlueShox
I have the same bass and had the same problems with low notes sounding really bland. What I normally do is keep the second nob that controls the pick-up blenidng all the way down, or mostly down, and keep the low end EQ on the bottom of the of the pot-pan no more than halfway up.

Really, I think it's the jazz pick-up that does most of it, it will suck a lot of tone out of your bass if you try to max it out with the precesion.

Unfortunately, you can't mute the P pup and just go solo on the jazz. That would make it a lot better, IMO. You can only add Jazz, not take away precesion.

You're mistaken, you can.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Miss G
I keep it the pickup knob at both, I really like the sound. Im going to adjust my pickups later.

Anybody have any suggestions for warm funky sounding strings?

If you're looking for warm, finger-style funk, string that baby up with some flatwounds. Lots of thump, and a nice warm tone. They aren't for everyone though, some describe the sound as "muddy and undefined." If you're looking for slap-style funk, I doubt you'd want a warm tone. I'd suggest a set of DR or Rotosound Stainless Steel strings for that ultra-bright, modern slap tone.

EDIT: By the way, congrats on the sexy new bass! I didn't know that non-MIA Fenders came with maple fretboards. I'll definitely have to check this out now.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
No, dont flaten the pickups. What ever you do, dont do that. They do that for a reason, so that all the strings sounds balanced. Flatting them would make you sound horendous. Also a good string to buy are Conklin Snakeskins. Best strings I've ever used. Bit expencive though.
I have the same bass and my p'ups were set up like that too. I changed them a few months ago so I don't really remember how it sounded before, but my tone is fine now. I just flattened them out and raised them up for a hotter sound. You can really do a lot of tone shaping with your controls on the bass itself, I can get a nice fat, funky sound and a real mean, metal growl by just playing with the pickup selecter and bass and treble boost/cut knobs.

Good choice btw, that's a fine instrument you've got there

Also, I'm super jealous that yours is white, black shows every thing!
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Congrats on the bass, nice one. The one in my profile's a 1990 P-Plus, the distant ancestor of yours. It's strung with DR LH40 Lo-Riders (stainless) if you listen to 'Random Bits And Bobs' in my MP3's that's what you'll hear.
I always keep the part of the upper P near the A-string raised slightly, it avoids the infamous dead spot at the bottom of that string. BTW mine has passive Lace Sensor silvers.
As for use of the J pup, I use mine as backup to the P for when I want some bright. It's a winning combo, I think! Enjoy it...M/N FTW!!

EDIT: P.S., has it got the series/parallel switch for the P pup?
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Dec 11, 2007,
Quote by Forcemaster
You're mistaken, you can.

Explain to me then, please.

4 knobs.

1st - Overall volume, 2nd - blend, 3d - bass/trebble boost, 4th- tone...

The second one might be just for the jazz pick-up, but you can't turn the first one all the way down, because it's like a master volume. You can only add jazz, not take away P.
^A pan pot means that it pans from just jazz pickup on one extreme, and just p pickup on the other extreme. There should a centre detent where the knob kind of clicks. That'll be where you're working with both pickups evenly. Any movement (counter)clockwise and you're changing the ratio. One of the knobs is a master volume, the other is a pan pot.

Quote by bxcarracer
No, dont flaten the pickups. What ever you do, dont do that. They do that for a reason, so that all the strings sounds balanced. Flatting them would make you sound horendous. Also a good string to buy are Conklin Snakeskins. Best strings I've ever used. Bit expencive though.

That's untrue. Not that they do it for even string volume, because that's very true. But, it won't make you sound horrible. Many people do this, and even more to their pickups and like the way they sound. It's just preference.

Quote by Miss G
I always mess with my EQ thats one reason I didn't want a active bass because I knew id always fool around with the settings lol.

I don't think I will ever get anything with a rosewood fretboard again though, I love the maple.

You do know you bought an active bass... right? Or did I miss something here. Also, once you go maple you'll never go... not maple.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^A pan pot means that it pans from just jazz pickup on one extreme, and just p pickup on the other extreme. There should a centre detent where the knob kind of clicks. That'll be where you're working with both pickups evenly. Any movement (counter)clockwise and you're changing the ratio. One of the knobs is a master volume, the other is a pan pot.

That's untrue. Not that they do it for even string volume, because that's very true. But, it won't make you sound horrible. Many people do this, and even more to their pickups and like the way they sound. It's just preference.

You do know you bought an active bass... right? Or did I miss something here. Also, once you go maple you'll never go... not maple.

Oh... I do see now
Jazzy explained what I was going to say. So yeah.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2