right my RG50TC has been returned but i was just wondering that since am not even sure which end of the standby button had to be pushed in to be in standby mode (excuses coming from the retailer for the state it arrived in and such like so am not atm lol)

When I get the new one ,,, my understanding is that the reason standby is on is to prevent a signal reaching a cold have, would I get the same effect by leaving the guitar unplugged till its warmed up?
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Possibly. But on my JCM900, the standby switch is set to standby when it's in the position that would be 'off' on the power button, so that's probably how it is on your Randall, too, since it would make sense. I've never considered having the guitar unplugged as an alternative form of standby, but I'm not sure it would work.
thanks
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
It wouldn't hurt the amp to just turn it on, find out if the amp is in standby or not, and if it's not set it to standby.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Standby means that the preamp has power, but the power amp doesn't. It should be pretty easy to tell if the amp is in standby or not. If the main power switch is off and the amp has power, then it's in standby - you can also look in the back at the tubes. If the preamp (small) tubes are glowing and the power (large) tubes aren't, then it's in standby. There should be some type of indicator light that says it's in standby as well.

If the amp is plugged in and it's not on - just flip the standby switch to the "on" position (obviously the opposite position of what it's in when the amp is completely off) - then wait at least 30 seconds and turn on the main power switch.

And no - leaving your guitar unplugged is definitely not the same as leaving the amp on standby.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ