Page 1 of 3
what songs (either by learning to play, or hearing and changing your perspective on how the guitar should be played) has had the most effect on your guitar playing?

for me - jason becker end of the beginning. songs like this really changed what i thought guitars could do as an instrument, because the song (to me) stopped being notes and started being a lot more than that, the notes all felt like they had a meaning.

so - whats yours?
phunkafied - justin king... such a cool style

didn't change me genera of choice, but gave me some new techniques
End of the beginning is definately my favourite song by JB, although I love all his work.

I'd have to say November Rain was a defining song. It was early in my guitar playing so hearing that blew my mind. Not in terms of like technicality, but musically.

Frank Zappa got me into shred. BUT HOW? Steve Vai, that's how.

Pretty much all musicians I like have changed my guitar playing. Everyone from John Frusciante to Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa to Tony Iommi, so even if I enjoy one song, i'll learn from it.
Well, as a bassist, these two songs really changed my playing:

Not Falling- Mudvayne. Shows how the bass can be used well as a lead instrument in a heavy setting

Disposition- Tool. The main/intro riff is a mixture of harmonics and artificial harmonics done on bass. My solo stuff can be quite AH heavy these days.
radiohead - pyramid song

when i realized i dont always need guitar to make some crazy complex crap
pretty much the whole ascendancy album, but mostly John Petrucci - Damage Control
Cool...thats weird i was gonna say End of The Beginning aswell....i really like his tone on that song, its really unique...the sweeping part sounds like a keyboard...amazing!
Bat country by Avenged sevenfold. Got me into fast tempo things. Basically got me into metal.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

Bat Country - Well, just the solo.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
well when i learned raining blood by slayer it really made me feel like if i was determined i could pull something off. but many songs have changed the way i think of guitar.
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, as a bassist, these two songs really changed my playing:

Not Falling- Mudvayne. Shows how the bass can be used well as a lead instrument in a heavy setting

Disposition- Tool. The main/intro riff is a mixture of harmonics and artificial harmonics done on bass. My solo stuff can be quite AH heavy these days.

i too am a bassist and disposition also changed my playing style.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
alucardmik is actually from the outer rings of jupiter and likes to drink goat milk while rubbing his nipples counterclockwise. so i hear...
like light to the flys - trivium
after i could play that main riff i started being able to wright some badass metal riffs
Cryptopsy I think and their song graves of the fathers. They got me into technical death metal. Later spawn of possessions song lash by lash shoved my how incredibly hard to play and complex a song can be. And necrophagist's solos showed me that death metal and classical music can be blended and still sound good.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Dec 11, 2007,
Well what got me into learning guitar was when my dad bought Van Halen video hits vol. 1 the solos just blew me away, then while i was learning, i discovered Vai and Hendrix, those are still my main influences.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Purple Haze. Before that I was a major/minor full barre chord Oasis style strummer, who could play Smoke on the Water.
Millencolin - Kemp. First solo i learnt
Still got the blues - Gary Moore. come to understand the importance of vibrato, grace notes and TONE!
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the alien. First shred song i learnt from start to finish.
and now, i shred.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Two awesome songs right there. Ryan or whatever his name is now totally brings the sex on bass lol. And I also agree about Disposition, that song as well as Les Claypool's The Awakening bass solo made me add a lot of harmonics to my bass playing.

Master of Puppets probably greatly influenced my guitar playing...just all those palm mutes and what not.
My stuff:

ESP EX-50
SX Telecaster Replica
Jade 75 watt amp
15 Watt Mega-amp, lol.
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP50
I start off playing like Nirvana and Foo Fighters... then I moved on to harder stuff like Godsmack and Metallica (the black album)

later i learned about Neoclassical shred metal... Like Yngwie and Batio... Later I would learn the way of Randy Rhoads

then I got into metalcore and hardcore...

And then while at work playing my acoustic I would teach myself a little finger picking and not just using two fingers but like four.

My final two steps where death metal (mostly melodic) and Power metal (like Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Symphony X, and Holloween...)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
well I have to say the song that really got me was Comfortably numb by Pink Floyd. I really wasn't playing anything too difficult compared to that, and when I had that solo down, I felt like I could do anything. I'm still not that great of a guitarist, but I'm improving. It showed me that speed isn't really too important for the styles that I play
learning to play velvet revolver's she builds uick machines. it shown me that i could start playing quickly.

that and driving south's distraction, for giving me confidence with chords.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
Bat country by Avenged sevenfold. Got me into fast tempo things. Basically got me into metal.

You know A7X is a mixture of punk and metal, which is why they have the catchy stuff, but it's also metal stuff. It's unique, and freakin' awesome.
Quote by fob12
You know A7X is a mixture of punk and metal, which is why they have the catchy stuff, but it's also metal stuff. It's unique, and freakin' awesome.

^ a7x is neither of those........ besides punk is dead. and you better get a flameshield for calling them even partly metal

[/rant]
"To Rid the Disease"- Opeth.
"The Drapery Falls"-Opeth.
"Carpe"- Russian Circles.
"Drought"- Pelican
"Your Hand in Mine"- Explosions in the Sky
"Seabeast"- Mastodon
"Map of the Problamatique"- Muse

And, of course, more. But those are the main ones that I can think of that have dramatically changed tghe way I listen to/play music.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by wizards?
^ a7x is neither of those........ besides punk is dead. and you better get a flameshield for calling them even partly metal

[/rant]
Some of their stuff doesn't sound like metal or anything else, but they are a mixture of punk and metal.
Cemetery Gates - Pantera
Really got me into the sort of Dimebag playing. Those squeals at the end are priceless. A lot of Pantera stuff inspired me whether its the really catchy riffs or the fast chord playing...it all improved my general style of playing.

Gary Moore - Parissienne Walkways
The bends in this are amazing. Its one of the very few songs that i learned that I felt satisfied about conquering.

Eruption - Van Halen

Taught me and inspired my tapping skills.

The Metallica Black Album

All the songs on here really got me into metal as a whole. I thought all the songs on it were extremely well done and again inspired me a lot.
Refused's Hook Line and sinker. Before them I was kind of a narrow minded guy that only liked power chord punk and thought drop d was strictly metal...I was stupid.
Quote by wizards?

[/rant]

I think you need a flameshield considering that no music genre really dies, just get recycled (hence we have post hardcore and metalcore which are bands that have traits of both metal and hardcore punk...)

and since when does a band that has ****ing insane lead guitar with fast, heavy riffs over top not metal?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
"Silent Tomorrow" - Novembers Doom
Their chorus-laden clean tone just makes the song so melancholy.
Unlike their new songs which are just as dark, but are more heavier.

No video of it sadly but here's The Lifeless Silhouette

"Silver" by Jesu

Ambience. Calmness in his voice against a backdrop of pure, low tuned heavy guitar chords.

"Minerva" by Deftones

Puts me in a trance. Slow and heavy. I like most of my songs like that.
Blackbird by Paul McCartney and YYZ by rush got me into weird timing and scales
Les Paul Standard
Highway 11 Tele

Peavey Valve King 1212
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
I think you need a flameshield considering that no music genre really dies, just get recycled (hence we have post hardcore and metalcore which are bands that have traits of both metal and hardcore punk...)

and since when does a band that has ****ing insane lead guitar with fast, heavy riffs over top not metal?

step one: go to the metal forum
step two:look at the fifth thread in the forum
step three:despite your small ammount of beter judgement, you make a thread called, "OMG LIEK A7X IS TEH WINNEST BAND AND SOOOO IZ METALZORZ!!!!1!!!!!" and then get banned

have a nice day
Listen to Race with Devil on Spanish Highway by Al di Meola. After being a devout metal addict and you'll be surprised how amazing something can sound without distortion that is both beautiful and progressive/jazzy, intriguing and technical.
As well, listening to songs like ScuttleButtlin' by SRV makes you appreciate that many people know how to wield the guitar amazingly well without just playing it in crazy distortion and shredding for hours.
The Face of My Innocence made me realize you could use a sweep arpeggio in a rhythm section and still make it sound good.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by wizards?
^:besides punk is dead.[/rant]

I hate when people say that. Maybe people aren't overpopulating clubs to hear local punk bands (or at least not in your region)like they did in the past, but that doesn't mean it's dead. As long as someone somewhere its still playing punk then the genre remains. That's no different is if I were to say "metal's dead", the're both ignorant comments.
Page 1 of 3