I need a new amp desperately (well by next year anyway), and after looking around i've decided to get a Randall. Problem is, i cant decide which one.

I am trying to decide between the Randall RH150G3 and the RG50TC.
I've heard bad reviews of the RG, while the few reviews i found on the RH were very positive.

I dont want to assume the RG is better simply because it is a tube amp. To me it seems a lot more complicated, more weight, and less versatile.

I expect it has a much better tone than the RH but since this will be my first 'real' amp, i dont really know what i need. As long as it is loud enough for gigging.

The clean channel on the RG isnt supposed to be too good, and i will probably need at least a half decent clean channel.

Oh, and I'm looking to spend between £400 and £600 for the complete set up.

So please, UG, help me decide!
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
The RG50TC is the better of the two. It's a really good high-gain amp and it does have a decent clean channel.

What kind of music do you play, though?
I mostly play metal, the band im hoping to gig with is sort of power metal and i am supposed to be the rhythm player. But i also enjoy playing death metal as well as classical. I suppose i should just get an acoustic for that though.

Hmm thats an idea.

RH150G3+ Cab= £600

RG50TC combo= £400, and i could buy an acoustic with the money i'd save!

the only concerns i have over getting an all tube amp is that they're heavy, i don't exactly know how they work, unreliable(not sure?)
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

RG50TC is better all round, IMO. I only have one niggle about it, the stock speaker seems to flub out at medium/high volumes or when you mix in too much bass. But for £350, it means you could easily afford a high quality speaker, and to get it fixed up, and it'll sound nicer.

It might also be worth looking into replacement tubes early on, I reckon it would benefit from some nice'uns.

Edit : They're not unreliable, unless you kick it around like a jerk and leave the amp on for weeks at a time, and stuff. If you read that anywhere, it'll probably have been some 8 year old with a MG 4x12 thinking his amp is the best thing since sliced bread.
looks like im gonna get the RG50TC then. thanks for your help people.

I suppose the next step is finding a store with one in stock so i can try it out?

the only one i can find on the internet is Anderton's in Guildford, which is a long way from me.

would you discourage ordering an amp without trying it out?
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

On the whole, you should really try it out before you buy it, and if you like it, don't buy it there, it's cheaper on Dolphinmusic by £50, plus you don't have to lug it home in a car or whatnot if you get it delivered
As Don says try some out. Look at other brands as well. I prefer tube for everything except my practice rig (Peavey Backstage Plus.)