Hi, i need to record me on guitar, but i need something that will record in layers, as i will be playing lead, rhythm and bass. i wanted to know if there is any way of doing this while avoiding having to buy a 4 or 8 track as they are very expensive. i would greatly appreciate and advice.
Are you looking for software or something else?

If software, GarageBand does it, as well as Audacity, which is free to download (I think.).
i think that software might be the best option, but i have a pc and not a mac
i use audacity, definately not the best program but it is free.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
thanks for the help, can i record the various layers on there though?
Quote by mrmen
i think that software might be the best option, but i have a pc and not a mac

Then download Audacity, it's pretty self explanatory. Make sure you have all the right connections and stuff, are you planning to record direct or mic?
theres kristal soft ware...also a free 1...there was another free 1 my friend had but i 4 got the name soz.
i was gonna go direct from my amp, as i think that the quality will be better
Quote by mrmen
i was gonna go direct from my amp, as i think that the quality will be better

Audacity will do fine then
I'm working with Abelton Live right now and it's not too difficult to use, and you can record different layers
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I have adobe audition and I think you can record different layers and junk. I've never actually used it, it just came with my studio pack or whatever. I believe the standalone program is pretty pricey though.