I'm looking to upgrade my amp from my Fender 15G 15W frontman amp(starter amp).
It's just not loud enough for me.

Anyway, enough bitching, I saw a hartke half-stack for approx $300-$400(depending on the strength of the dollar). Now I know hartke is well known-ish for its bass amps, but how are its guitar amps?

The particular model was the Hartke GT60 head attached to what I presume was a GH412(a?) cabinet or the piggyback mini-stack.

What are the opinions on these? I can't find a bloody review anywhere so I assume they are relatively new.

I tried it out and it sounded decent. I usually take a while to find my sound with an amp so I didn't get to try it out fully. TO me, the cleans sounded fine and the distortion sounded a tad muddy on anything but the bridge pickup. A little rough sounding with the gain up which was nice, but I didn't really crank it up out of politeness.

Specs are as follows(for the piggyback):

60 Watt 2-Channel Guitar Amp
4 x 8 Speaker Cabinet with high output Hartke Guitar Drivers
12AX7 Tube Pre-Amp Section with Independent Channel Gain
Bass, Mid (channel 2 only) and Treble Controls for each channel
Variable Spring Reverb and Effects Send/Return Jacks
1/4-inch Stereo TRS CD Input Jack; 1/4-inch Headphone Jack
Jack for channel selection footswitch

I play all kinds of music from beattles, bad company to metallica, megadeth, maiden to children of bodom, dream theatre, korn etc... I want a good clean wiith a sligtly muddy yet defined distortion. I will run the guitar through a Digitech RP350 for the most part and I need it to be audible over a drum set.

I play a karmer 7 string with high output stock pickups(passive) tuned from G standard to B Standard as well as a B.C.RIch warlock with blackouts tuned to C standard to E standard. I sometimes use a bass tuned to drop D to E standard.

Oh also, don't suggest getting a used set of amps. It's practically impossible here and my parents are wary of used stuff.
I also have a maximum budget of about $500, butt he lower the better.

Hope that should be enough information. Now any opinions?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Dec 12, 2007,
please guys? If it's worth it, I'll be getting it as a christmas gift.

Oh also, don't suggest getting a used set of amps. It's practically impossible here and my parents are wary of used stuff.
I also have a maximum budget of about $500, butt he lower the better.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i hate to do this but: bump

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
No.
It'll basically be a loud version of your frontman.
Get a used peavey classic instead.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
No.
It'll basically be a loud version of your frontman.
Get a used peavey classic instead.

Can't get used. One, they are not available here easily and two my parents will no let me

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by cb951303
I would prefer any 12" tube combo to a hartke hybrid

then how about some suggestions? I'm having a hard time finding something in my budget of $500 at the max.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
then how about some suggestions? I'm having a hard time finding something in my budget of $500 at the max.

sure here is your choices:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+10

people seems to like peavey valveking, fender blues junior, palomino v16 and laney among them

edit: I use a homebrew SE tube amp. it cost me around $500 (without the cabinet). If you're into electronics that's a good choice since you can build it fully customized to your liking.
if so, have a look at weber, ceriatone and brown-note kits. they are all good...
Last edited by cb951303 at Dec 12, 2007,
If you can get a Palomino V32, that would be loud enough for gigging. If it's just home use and band-practice, then the V16 version would be sufficient.
Quote by cb951303
sure here is your choices:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+10

people seems to like peavey valveking, fender blues junior, palomino v16 and laney among them

edit: I use a homebrew SE tube amp. it cost me around $500 (without the cabinet). If you're into electronics that's a good choice since you can build it fully customized to your liking.
if so, have a look at weber, ceriatone and brown-note kits. they are all good...

The palominos seem a little underpowered.

Basically the main problem is that my bands practice in rooms. The drummers in both bands play loudly and one of them has a very cramped space so his drums drown out everything. I'm also competing for volume with 2 guitarists in one of the bands(using a 50W AVT and a 50W MG) and in the other band I compete against a 120W Line 6 spider. Not very good amps, but they are loud and my 15W amp just doesnt cut it.

So that said, do you think a 50W Peavey Valveking can overpower the other amps and the drummer? I'm not too worried about live use, since I can send my MFX to the mixer as well as the amps directly to layer the sound.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
The palominos seem a little underpowered.

Basically the main problem is that my bands practice in rooms. The drummers in both bands play loudly and one of them has a very cramped space so his drums drown out everything. I'm also competing for volume with 2 guitarists in one of the bands(using a 50W AVT and a 50W MG) and in the other band I compete against a 120W Line 6 spider. Not very good amps, but they are loud and my 15W amp just doesnt cut it.

So that said, do you think a 50W Peavey Valveking can overpower the other amps and the drummer? I'm not too worried about live use, since I can send my MFX to the mixer as well as the amps directly to layer the sound.

valveking is more than enough for that purpose since your bandmates' amps are all solid state. Tube amps provide more volume in smaller output power. Also note that 10W is only half louder than 100W cause the dB curve increases logarithmically
in short, you wont have a problem with 50W valveking to keep up with your band, you can gig with it too...
well the 50w valveking can overpower the AVT for sure, but im not sure about the line 6. but then he probably wont have it on full, cuz ss amps (at least most) on full is basically ear rape
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by cb951303
valveking is more than enough for that purpose since your bandmates' amps are all solid state. Tube amps provide more volume in smaller output power. Also note that 10W is only half louder than 100W cause the dB curve increases logarithmically
in short, you wont have a problem with 50W valveking to keep up with your band, you can gig with it too...

about the vavleking...It's got a lot of mixed revies and a lot of them say how crap the construction is. Any opinions?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
about the vavleking...It's got a lot of mixed revies and a lot of them say how crap the construction is. Any opinions?

I don't know anything about the build quality but I know it sounds great

also palomino v32 (30W) is more than enough to keep up with 50W solid states. I don't know about lin 6 though
Quote by cb951303
I don't know anything about the build quality but I know it sounds great

also palomino v32 (30W) is more than enough to keep up with 50W solid states. I don't know about lin 6 though

line6 spiders dont sound good with my 7 string. Havent tried te valve but thats out of my budget.

I'll see if I can get the peavey valveking. the palomino may sound good, but the styling is a huge put-off.....yes, im shallow

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I recently bought that top with the GH410( cabinet with 4 10" speakers.) I really like it. but I guess that if you get the piggyback the speakers won't be very good, cause there just some cheap speakers in it and there only 8". the GH410 has celestion speakers in it.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
$50 more and you can get a B-52 AT 1x12 or a Randall RG50tc.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
$50 more and you can get a B-52 AT 1x12 or a Randall RG50tc.

Trying to keep the cost as low as possible. $500 is absolute max. I'm going away to college next year and I don't wna tot stress my parents financially.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Farether
I recently bought that top with the GH410( cabinet with 4 10" speakers.) I really like it. but I guess that if you get the piggyback the speakers won't be very good, cause there just some cheap speakers in it and there only 8". the GH410 has celestion speakers in it.

Cabinet aside, how is the head? Been having a hard time getting an impression based on online reviews.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350