Hey everyone... For Christmas I think I am going to ask for a harmonica. I want to be able to make stuff up with it, but I also want to play songs like "The Wizard" by Sabbath and of course, the classic, Piano Man. I Know that harmonicas are in one key, but I don't know which key is best. Which keys are the most common for harmonicas, and would these work with playing the above songs? Thanks in advance.
Get a 'Hohner Marine Band' harmonica. Wonderful instruments and it takes a lot to bend the reed in them.
Ive got a diatonic harp in the key of C. Hohner Bluesharp MS series. Great harmonica. Definatly get one in the key of C to start off. Questions, just pm me.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
id say G.. its just as easy to play, and sounds better.

also try E..

But if youre a beginner ask for a Bb.. bluesy
Quote by Early Cuyler
id say G.. its just as easy to play, and sounds better.

also try E..

But if youre a beginner ask for a Bb.. bluesy

I disagree. Like i said, key of C. And then you can play crossharp/bluesharp (inhaling) on it and it is in the key G. I play blues on mine, and it sounds just fine. Like i said, i reccomend the key of C.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I'm also buying a harp...

The best 2 brands it seems are hohner and lee oskar. Lee Oskar seems to be a bit better than hohner, but is more expensive (but not by much). The good harps by hohner are the marine brand and special 20.

And get a harp in C. C will not sound more or less bluesy than Bb. C is best because C major is the most used key throughout music (easier to jam) and a C harp will contain the notes ABCDEFG and G#, which is simple for begginers.

Anymore harmonica threads should probably be put in the blues and jazz forum, as harmonica is most used for blues and jazz (and country/folk, but there is no country/folk thread)
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.