I've been trying to get a job on and off for about a whole year now. In my area there is a serious shortage of work in all forms. I've filled out close to 50 applications this year, and not one employer has called me. I do follow up calls and either they've "lost" the application, or they tell me to call back at another time, or other BS. I'd really appreciate it if some of these businesses just gave it to me straight. They want honest, outgoing employees, right? Well maybe they should show those qualities themselves. Very few places have.

Is anyone else in the same position? Does anyone have advice?
We're only strays.
From working menial jobs through my early 20s, I've learned that people who work in HR departments at business that have a lot of turnover or hire younger/non-skilled workers are terrible at dealing with people. Also, a lot of time they just don't want to deal with looking you up or whatever because they know if they don't hire you, there's someone who looks just like you waiting in line for the job.
Hi, I'm Peter
Keep plugging away and use every connection you can - if a shopkeeper/business owner is friendly with your uncle, get your uncle to put in a good word "why haven't you hired my nephew yet?" direct and seems to work in places.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Keep plugging away and use every connection you can - if a shopkeeper/business owner is friendly with your uncle, get your uncle to put in a good word "why haven't you hired my nephew yet?" direct and seems to work in places.

Well I have friends that work places, and we've tried that. So far it doesn't work.
We're only strays.
post your rèsumè here and ill tell you what is wrong with it and fix it so you can get a CEO job.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
When so many employers reject you, the probability of it being a coincidence is quite low. So, best guess would be there's something really, really bad with your applications or something like that.
I'm a communist. Really.
like i said, the ONLY way you are going to get a job is if you post your resume and let us help you. im sure everyone here will agree, right guys?
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
I think you need to consider what you're putting down on these application forms.

Supermarkets will probably be the best place to start.
Also, don't try for a job about. Christmas temps have already been employed so it's best to start looking in the new year, just before the start of summer or in october for a christmas temp job.

Also, can your parents not help you get a job at their workplace? Lucky for me my mum works at a supermarket so she got me the application form as soon as she heard about a vacancy, however the rest was down to me.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Get a really ****ty sales job somewhere that you hate and stick it out for a month.

Having sales experience instantly makes you more desirable to work anywhere, and sales places will generally employ anyone.