in my search for a new bass, i looked into the Geddy and MIM, but im kinda discounting them b/c they both have 20 frets, unlike the other two ive narrowed it down to [Tune TWB and Schecter studio-4]

to those with 20 frets, will i really miss the four?
How many frets do you have on your bass now? If its 20, do you feel the need for more? If its 24 frets, do you use them enough?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I never find more range a bad thing, but it's up to you. Out of the ones you chose, I suggest the Schecter for versatility, looks, and (depending on who sets it up) playability. It's just a solid bass all around, not that the Fenders aren't.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Lol i had a 20 fret **** bass, then got a bc rich warlock with 24 frets, and personally speaking ive found the extra couple of frets come in real handy every now and then but i could do without them if i had to
Ideally I would like 21 frets just to get that E octave but I would rarely even use that so only having 20 doesn't bother me too much.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
some stuff ive played, like some weather report, takes more than 20. also, i plan on composing/experiment eventually

as for the final two, its going to come down to the feel b/c, except maybe for the pickups and voltage, they are *nearly* the same exact bass

EDIT: the tune isnt neck-thru
Last edited by InvaderRen at Dec 11, 2007,
I personally like 24 frets, not necessarily because I would miss those 4 frets, but on any bass I need to go up to 18 or even 20. The last fret on any bass is disgustingly difficult to reach, so that's why a 24 is better than 20. You can get higher, easier. If you need 24 frets go for it.
I come pretty damn close to using the last four when I attempt to play "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver." It can also be nice to have the 24th fret if you need a harmonic and you're nowhere near the 5th fret. I guess I just like having the octave though. If you never find yourself needing it, I wouldn't fret over it (sorry for the terrible pun).
Well there would be a differnt fret spacing. Such as I had a rogue once and it had 24 frets and then I played a Fender with 20 and the first 4 frets are so much wider that my Rogue's. That the only main diff. youd feel.
Quote by toshiro umezewa
have you ever used the last four frets while playing bass? if not, then you dont need them.

+1, It depends on how you play, I have 22, and I use them all.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I myself crave for the 21th fret every once in awhile (E octave), but I never really needed it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by bxcarracer
Well there would be a differnt fret spacing. Such as I had a rogue once and it had 24 frets and then I played a Fender with 20 and the first 4 frets are so much wider that my Rogue's. That the only main diff. youd feel.

Completely untrue.

Scale length is what effects fret size, not the number of frets.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well I agree buddy, but think about it... If you have 2 basses with 34' scale as their lenght. And one has 24 frets and the other 20. Something has to change no? Or is the extra 4 fret space occupided by something else? Then it'd be a 32' scale lenght or 30 no?
Quote by bxcarracer
Well I agree buddy, but think about it... If you have 2 basses with 34' scale as their lenght. And one has 24 frets and the other 20. Something has to change no? Or is the extra 4 fret space occupided by something else? Then it'd be a 32' scale lenght or 30 no?

Unfortunately gm jack is correct. Scale length only affects the distance between frets, not the number.

The extra space would be occupied by body. I have 34" inch scale basses with 20, 21 and 26 frets.
if you play in the 17-21 range a lot, dont get a 20 fret bass
if not, who cares
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Unfortunately gm jack is correct. Scale length only affects the distance between frets, not the number.

The extra space would be occupied by body. I have 34" inch scale basses with 20, 21 and 26 frets.

dude thats what i was saying from the beginning.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I personally like 24 frets, not necessarily because I would miss those 4 frets, but on any bass I need to go up to 18 or even 20. The last fret on any bass is disgustingly difficult to reach, so that's why a 24 is better than 20. You can get higher, easier. If you need 24 frets go for it.

This is why I like 24 fret basses. Also, it is relatively common to have songs that use the 21st fret, and even that won't be possible on most Fenders. I would like to have at least 22 frets. And I see no reason why Fender doesn't make more models with 22/24 frets. The only three I can think of are the Jazz Bass 24, MIA deluxe, and Urge. They should make them to go along with their regular MIM/MIA.
On my BEAD tuned Warwick, I use all 24 frets, but I find basses with more than 21 frets to have rather distressing fret access. Like indie mentioned before, Alls I wants is the high E on the G string.

On a BEAD bass, 24 frets puts you 1 note below a normal Fender bass - that 20th fret.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by bxcarracer
dude thats what i was saying from the beginning.

Allow me to make sure of what you're saying. Are you saying that the number of frets affect the distance between the frets?
Quote by bxcarracer
Yea i tend to use the 21'st fret alot 2 for some reason.

Unfortunately I did a quick measurement of my 20, 21 and 26 fret basses. All of them were 4 string 34" inch basses. I took measurements from the centre of the 1st and 2nd frets to nullify differences in fret wire size.

All of them measured 1 13/16 inches.

Scale length determines the distance between two frets, not the number of frets. If you feel a difference, there could be other reasons, like neck radius to even shape of the body.
Quote by bxcarracer
I've never said that the more scale inches you have the more frets you have...At least I dont think so...

We never said that at all.

Frets are positioned a certain proportion from the end of the string, in order to reduce the string length by a certain proportion, therefore raising the frequency by what equates to one semi tone.

Each fret reduces the string lenth by the same proportion as any other fret (reducing it from the fret before). This is what leads to the steady decrease in fret size down the neck. For example, going up an octave (12 frets) always half the length of the string, to double the frequency.

Scale length is the distance from nut to bridge. With a longer scale length, all the frets need to be bigger to reduce the length of the string by the same proportion.

Do you follow?

The number of frets is simply how many people fit in. All frets share the same size ratio with the one before. If you have more frets, you simply have less distance between the bridge and the last fret.

Your measurements before are useless, as if they were different, a ruler could not be sensitive enough. Try measuring from the nut to the 20th fret with the same scale length. It will always be the same distance.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by bxcarracer
I've never said that the more scale inches you have the more frets you have...At least I dont think so...

Am I correct in saying that you said that number of frets affect the spacing between frets?

Quote by bxcarracer
Are your basses all the same brand?

No. Fender (20 frets), Musicman (21) and Warwick (26).
it probably is dude, Im not even gunna look. I'm just going to drop it and all that gud stuff. Im just going to say I was owned. I clearly do no know enough, thanks for the enlighment, also thanks for putting up with me. You seem like you know more than me. So there you go man.
Last edited by bxcarracer at Dec 11, 2007,
Quote by bxcarracer
it probably is dude, Im not even gunna look. I'm just going to drop it and all that gud stuff. Im just going to say I was owned. I clearly do no know enough, thanks for the enlighment

Sorry mate... It was not my intent to own you or anything like that. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was arguing with you. I just wanted to understand what exactly you're saying, and correct you if you are wrong.

I will quickly quote this, as it relates fret distance and scale length. A change in one without a corresponding change in another will cause the intonation to go out, i.e. it will play out of tune. Fret number does not figure into this equation.

The intonation/scale length refers to the distance between your nut and the point of first contact between your string and your bridge. Have you ever found that you tune a guitar perfectly but the higher frets don't play at the pitch they should? That could be caused by incorrect scale length (although it could be just due to a high action). The frets on a neck have been designed to a specific scale length and if this is not set as it should be on a guitar, the frets will not sound the string at the correct pitch (which is more apparent higher up the neck, e.g. the 17th fret).
http://www.igdb.co.uk/pages/guitar_setup/guitar_intonation.htm
Nah, its all gud dudes, I'll even admit I got owned. And also I dont wanna come off as a ****. No hard feelings at all. Thanks for the help, and you were right about what I was tring to state.
Last edited by bxcarracer at Dec 11, 2007,
Quote by bxcarracer
Nah, its all gud dudes, I'll even admit I got owned. And also I dont wanna come off as a ****. No hard feelings at all. Thanks for the help, and you were right about what I was tring to state.

No problem... see you around.