I just recently got a MG30DFX Marshall amp( it actually is on lay-by(Christmas!)) and i was wondering what you guys would rate it out of 10 for a player like me, ive only been play for a year and i can play some Metallica songs and stuff.

Marshall MG30DFX

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
0!

Is it returnable?
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
meh.....Meh.

If you just practice, they are as good as any practice amp at low volumes. Maybe not AS good. But close.

If you aren't planning on gigging i'd say maybe a 5

They aren't as bad as people say, but they are not fit for gigging.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
maybe about a 3 or 4. Maybe with a good Distortion pedal u can make it better, but i myself dont like anything less than a DSL401 as far as Marshalls go. The Roland Cube would work much better for u IMO.
mmmm, return it.

sorry. bad buy. theres threads about them, just search marshall MG
I'm going to give it an 8. Now, before everyone starts, listen.

TS, you're a beginner. The Marshall MG is by no means a good amp, but then you're only using it for playing. It can produce sound, therefore it's useful. You'll be able to play through it and keep improving. Eventually, your ear for tone will develop and you'll want to progress, but until that happens, the MG is fine for you. It's okay for a practice amp. There's better stuff out there, but prices in Australia are somewhat silly, so it will suffice.

Anyone care to argue with that?
Quote by Denthúl

TS, you're a beginner. The Marshall MG is by no means a good amp, but then you're only using it for playing. It can produce sound, therefore it's useful. You'll be able to play through it and keep improving. Eventually, your ear for tone will develop and you'll want to progress, but until that happens, the MG is fine for you. It's okay for a practice amp. There's better stuff out there, but prices in Australia are somewhat silly, so it will suffice.

Wise words.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by Denthúl

iv owned one and it took my ears a whole 20 mins to relise how bad the tone was, i had a bblaster starter amp before that and the mg sounded realy good at first, i did like the reverb on it so having that up full helps a bit
Quote by Denthúl

I acutally agree with you now.
I agree with him too.
I think the MG30 is fine, who cares if the practise amp got a good sound? atleast it got Marshall on it :p
An MG100 is a different thing, though.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
If you're planning to use it as a practice as (i.e. use at low volumes) it's not that bad an amp. I'd rate it 6/10. However, if you're planning on gigging with it, 0/10. I should know, i own one.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Everyone is saying it's great for a practice amp, there are other amps (tube) that are a lot better quality, are around the same price as the MG and are perfect for practicing.
Quote by Ht666
Everyone is saying it's great for a practice amp, there are other amps (tube) that are a lot better quality, are around the same price as the MG and are perfect for practicing.

He's in Australia, though. Their prices are ridiculous when compared to the UK or the US. Besides, for a beginner, a one-knob Valve Jr. isn't going to provide much fun
Quote by Denthúl
He's in Australia, though. Their prices are ridiculous when compared to the UK or the US. Besides, for a beginner, a one-knob Valve Jr. isn't going to provide much fun

Oh ok. Didn't see that he was from Australia.
Quote by Ht666
Oh ok. Didn't see that he was from Australia.

And what kind of tube amp can you get for $240?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
And what kind of tube amp can you get for $240?

Epi Valve Jr.

Well, nearly. It's $14 AUD more.

However, if my first ever amp had been a Valve Jr. I would've been bored within minutes. I'd rather have had distortion and effects to play around with. Nowadays, it's different, but back then I just wanted to mess about.
Quote by Denthúl
Epi Valve Jr.

Well, nearly. It's $14 AUD more.

However, if my first ever amp had been a Valve Jr. I would've been bored within minutes. I'd rather have had distortion and effects to play around with. Nowadays, it's different, but back then I just wanted to mess about.

Alright, I saw the MG30 for $239 at musiciansfriend.com so I just thought...
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I agree with what everyones saying about it being a practise amp. I did own the 30DFX then came across my MGhalf stack cheaper than it was, which is why i ended up with it. I agree, its a terible amp, but its great for proactising, granted, some would say the 100 Watt is a bit big for practising but hey, when no-one else is around you can krank it up a bit. And now my ear for tone has developed so i want a new amp so there's a MG half stack going for sale if anyone's interested

But i'd give the 30DFX about a 7 for practising, the distortion isn't too bad on it, is not great, but it'll do
Well guys the amp was $500 AUD but the guys at the store gave it to me for $389 because i shop there alot and i'm a bit strapped for cash, but he showed me the MG100 and the MG15 just because the only MG30 instock was blown and he said imagine something in between it.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
eh thats amps ****.. id give it maybe 3... my friend uses it, once he cranks it, the sound is horrible.. id prolly buy a spider over this.. my friend you got ripped off by the wonderful world of salesman.. also theres a sticky thread last time i checked sayig to stay away from MG's... you new people should read em.
Quote by Flash445
what about a palomino V8 for a $200 tube amp?

They wouldn't be $200 in Australia if they were available - the VJ is more expensive there than in the US.

Quote by kashmirianvoodo
eh thats amps ****.. id give it maybe 3... my friend uses it, once he cranks it, the sound is horrible.. id prolly buy a spider over this.. my friend you got ripped off by the wonderful world of salesman.. also theres a sticky thread last time i checked sayig to stay away from MG's... you new people should read em.

You should read my post. Nobody is denying that the MG isn't a good amp, but when it comes to practice as a beginner, an amp is an amp. End of.
^lol if he didn't say "for me", i would say that:
i'm picky with tone and i rate anything worse than my Blues Jr. lower than a 0. my Blues Jr. is 0, and if it's worse than that, it's not an amp.

but just because he said 'for me', i'd have to agree with u. but i kidna think he should jsut get the cheapest amp that he can get his hands on. if i follow your rule in beginner amps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Depends what the cheapest amp is, though. My Behringer AC108 was cheaper than a Marshall MG. As such, all it had was gain, volume, treble and bass. Pretty boring, huh? So I ended up (foolishly) getting a multi-effects pedal to make it more fun. Most of the cheaper amps don't have DFX or anything like that, so that can make them seem a bit dull to a beginner. Remember that the guitar is about more than just tone, it's about having fun, and when you're still learning and can't play that much, you have to find ways of keeping the hard practice fun.

^yea. that was me two years ago. now, making my practice fun is playing and hearing awesome tone coming out of my amp's speaker blowing my head off.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Exactly. Give the TS six months to a year and he or she will most likely start to get into that kind of thing.

I'm quite a tone Nazi, to be honest. I won't settle for anything less than awesome. Which is a shame, because awesome happens to be very expensive in most cases.

Can't wait until I get that Tweed Deluxe clone
^yes for the 'being a tone nazi' part. first time hearing that u want a 'tweed deluxe clone' though.

but i won't say anything about my gas cuz i'm sure u know already (from 1985798276312 times i've brought it up in this forum), and cuz my brother's snorting behind me.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've mentioned that I wanted a Ceriatone 5E3 kit every time people have been talking about Ceriatones

I thought that getting an avatar would make the things I say stick in peoples' heads more. Guess not, eh?
i think my avatar needs a santa hat.

i see. i don't know about the tweed kits on ceriatone. hmm... i know a place that sells tweed kits but i can't figure out the name. it's real boutique. not cheap, but it's all over thegearpage.net...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ah. Well, I could only really afford the Ceriatone, since it would be the second amp I bought. The VC15 will be my main amp. Also, it's supposed to be the simplest kit on there and it would be my first amp build, so it makes sense to get that. Not to mention the fact that, cranked, it would sound amazing!

Yeah, it does. I was thinking of putting one on the moose, but I'm rubbish at doing graphic stuff
^tweeds sound amazing cranked. treat it with some TungSol 6V6s or if applicable, JJ EL84/EL34s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
its ajust a practice amp. it'll do you fine despite what all the naysayers will say.

while it isn't a very good amp.. neither would the squier/vantage/traynor/kustom amp that usually comes with a start pack. but for just honking out some practice, it doesn't really matter!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
MG30DFX is a great beginner amp, it has enough knobs for you to play around, and good practicing sound quality. It can also be a bit loud, which is good for jamming with drums, etc. The effects on it make it a great all around amp, without having 50 pedals beside the amp.

I'd rate it 8/10 for beginners, but definitely not something you'd bring to a performance.

Although I would like to say that you shoulda got the Vox Valvetronix 30 watts. Great tube-hybrid amp for around that price!
Quote by Denthúl

first thoughtful guy in here.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]