ive been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years now and my guitar teacher thinks that im progressing each week. However last year i bought a kustom 'high voltage' 65 watt hybrid. The problem is that i sound good when un amplified but when i plug it into my amp i cant seem to get a sound i like! do u think i should change amp or is it too soon?
Quote by nimble
ive been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years now and my guitar teacher thinks that im progressing each week. However last year i bought a kustom 'high voltage' 65 watt hybrid. The problem is that i sound good when un amplified but when i plug it into my amp i cant seem to get a sound i like! do u think i should change amp or is it too soon?

Playing without an amp kind of defeats the purpose. I think you need to work with the gear you have now, and find a sound that you like. This isn't directed towards you in any way, but this is something Gus G said, and I believe its very true. "You can have a great amp and great gear, but if your a sh*tty guitar player, your a shi**y guitar player. There is no covering that up. The tone is in your hands". So just work with what you got, and try to make the best of it.
Be cool.
I think u should sell ur amp and get a tube amp. Depending on your budget, id go with either a crate Palomino or a Fender of some sort.
If you can afford a new amp, you should get one. I haven't tried the Kustom, but in general hybrid amps may be decent, but they don't offer great tone. What kind of music do play? How much would you be able to spend? Do (plan to) play with a band?
Quote by thedude051
Playing without an amp kind of defeats the purpose. I think you need to work with the gear you have now, and find a sound that you like. This isn't directed towards you in any way, but this is something Gus G said, and I believe its very true. "You can have a great amp and great gear, but if your a sh*tty guitar player, your a shi**y guitar player. There is no covering that up. The tone is in your hands". So just work with what you got, and try to make the best of it.

Though that quote is true, the reverse is also true; if u have a sh*tty amp, u'll sound like sh*t. U might should at least try out some new amps just to check out dif sounds.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
---------------------------
i play pink floyd, led zepplin, guns and roses, muse, red hot chilli peppers and metallica that kinda stuff. if i sell the amp ive got i could spend about £400. and i do eventually hope to play in a band.
What exactly don't you like? The tone of your guitar? Is that amp too noisy, or is that possibly your playing and you're not noticing that when you're unplugged?

I would recommend to get to where you sound as good as you possibly can on your current amp. I'm always one to say that the amp is a huge part of your tone - but that's for expert musicians. If you're still playing as a hobby in your room, you should work on sounding better on your current amp. Otherwise, you can spend thousands and not notice a huge difference.
You're right. You don't have to be a pro to appreciate the tone, but you do have to be relatively skilled to make it notice the difference when YOU play.