There have probly been thousands of people who ask this in this forum but ill be the 5,001. Ok when i pick up my guitar and try to write a song, I just can't do anything, all I can do is put together power chords and lame stuff like that. I want to do stuff like metallica, power chords and some notes in between that make the some sound nice and makes it flow well. Like Master of the Puppets. All Kirk does is put together some of those power chords and then the like 1st verse is notes. I can't put notes together and make them sound good. I've tried many times but have never succeeded. Someone please give me some advice because I'm stuck in songwriting.

PLEASE!
Practice...eventually you'll make it happen. It takes a lot of time/effort/energy/work to do something as intricate as Metallica. Start with simple things and build them up though. If something sounds cool but too simple complicate it. Learn barre chords, arpegios, etc.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Yeah but i just can't get notes to sound good together, that's what I'm trying to figure out, why I can't do that.
Well first of all, what are modes, and second, I only know a couple simple scales. Like C major, could you tell me more
"here's a song we writ called 'i believe'"
"writ?"
"yeah, writ"

Lol

But ya, like everyone else has told you, learn some scales. Most importantly the Major Scale.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
"here's a song we writ called 'i believe'"
"writ?"
"yeah, writ"

Lol

But ya, like everyone else has told you, learn some scales. Most importantly the Major Scale.

ok got it
If you're looking for Metallica, learn the Pentatonic scales. Probably the easiest ones to learn, and they use it quite often.