Im learn scales like phrygyian or however you spell it and some others but the lesson guide im using says they're good for gaining finger coordination. I tried to look them up but every site just tells you how to play them now what the heck they're for. so what are they for?
scales are for making riffs, licks, and solos.
all of the notes in the scale that you play are there because all those notes are in that scales key.

say you play an A Major scale on the sixth string. The notes you play are A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, and back to A. In that scale. Every note you play, are those notes; higher and lower ones.

EDIT: When i learned scales, my guitar teacher taught me them in relation to pizza. A scales a scale, a pizzas a pizza. Some types have the same ingredients/notes..and some have other ones dissimilar to the others...
Gaslight
you can use the notes in them to write a solo or something.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by fleetingillness
I kind of think of them as colors. Every different mode and scale can have a different emotional "color." Although I use maybe three on a regular basis. Other than that, yeah, finger coordination is actually a good use.

Exactly. It's like paint on an easel. Each scale has a different sound or 'flavor' that can be used individually or interdependantly to give solos, riffs, and even some rythem pieces tone. Carlos Santana uses the Dorian mode a lot for cool rock tones, while the Grateful Dead use the Mixolydian a lot for it's blusey/funk tones. Lots of metal/rock guitarists (IE; Slash) use the pentatonic for it's hard blues/rock tones, etc. Just improvise with them as you learn to get an idea of what kind of sounds they produce. They're like little roadmaps for the fretboard, and you decide which path to take.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by samerika
correct me please.

but everything that sounds good to us is in a scale?

im not sure i understand...

but like say you think the riff to The Hell Song by Sum 41 sounds cool. Yea, all those notes are in a certain type of scale in a certain key...
Gaslight
Quote by samerika

yes, everything comes from some kind of scale. There are many many many scales, and some of them sound very weird, but essentially everything can be found in a scale
Quote by SRK
yes, everything comes from some kind of scale. There are many many many scales, and some of them sound very weird, but essentially everything can be found in a scale

yea.
every single note on a gutiar (every string, every fret) is in a scale.
Gaslight
Quote by samerika
correct me please.

For the most part, yes, but in jazz, blues, metal, almost any kind of music, there are things called passing tones that are actually off-key notes, meaning they're not part of the scale currently being used.

Atonality (Purposely not following a scale) also has its place and uses.

Both of those are just further ways to make your music more interesting.
Quote by blackmajik2021
Oh I didnt realize that when you played strings you could only play in certian scales...I only know about chords so far.

do you take lessons?
if you do ask your teacher to maybe take like 4 lesson with you on basic music theory...
when i did, it helped me sooo much....i had a whole new understanding with the guitar and music...felt more confident...just better.
Gaslight
Quote by alaub1491
to say what are scales for you need to understand key signatures and basic music theory.

Scales ARE basic music theory. It is impossible to learn music theory without knowing about the notes you have to work with. That's why beginners always learn the C scale. It's an easy way to start. Since key signatures only indicate scales, you have to know what scales are before a key signature will mean anything for you, rather than vice versa.
You don't HAVE to play scales to sound good, but most of what sounds good is found in a scale. If that makes any sense. It's like saying that all Gibsons are guitars, but not all guitars are Gibsons.

Edit: Also, as mentioned above, atonality is pretty important when improvising with scales depending on what music style you prefer. Playing a single out of key note in passing, then 'landing' on an on-key note is what's called tension and release. It adds emphisis to the notes in the key by directing the listener's ear to what the key is (if that makes any sense).
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Last edited by Garou1911 at Dec 11, 2007,
Quote by Garou1911
You don't HAVE to play scales to sound good, but most of what sounds good is found in a scale. If that makes any sense. It's like saying that all Gibsons are guitars, but not all guitars are Gibsons.

There is a boat company called Gibson....
Gaslight
i believe that is a mode
phrygyian

but it is a scale it aplies to all major scales

scales are basically a grouping of notes that make up a key the major scale of C for simplicity is

C D E F G A B C

there are formula's for each scale the major scale is W W H W W W H

W being a whole tone
H being a half tone

in this scale skipping all flats and sharps

each note is a half tone apart

Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G

every note is a HALF tone apart from each other including C to D and E to F

if you follow the W W H W W W H patern you will noticeyou will get

C D E F G A B as the major scale for C maj

now with that to determine the chord of c maj the is also a formula

a major chordid derived from the scale

all major open chords follow the formula 1 3 5

you will notice those notes are C E G

if you play the open C on your guitar and count the notes you will notice you are playing C E G

everyhting is related to scales they key you are playing in the progression and the solo's they help you keep the music flowing together

you might watch someone on you tube playing a lesson and they will say it is in the key of C major and with the Cmajor scale you can know right away what chords are in there and what notes are gonna be played and what notes probably aren't
song stuck in my head today

What toen of music are you looking for? Im a metal person so I use the phrygian, aeolian and the locrian scale
Quote by JJW319
There is a boat company called Gibson....

I'll remember that next time I'm on Ultimate-Boat.com
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H