Hey,
I recently recieved a two tone sunburst squier 51 from a trade with a friend. I traded him a digitech RP50 and a danelectro fab OD. Score!
Anyways, I have heard that these have been going up in price a bit (wikipedia page says they sell between 150 and 200 bucks now, gaining me a decent profit from my trade). Well, I was wondering if there's any good ways to boost it's value a bit? I already put my blue lace sensor in the neck position, but I was thinking of adding some value by changing the pickguard, tuners, nut, bridge pickup, etc. Would this be worth it in the long run to invest in these things? And is it expected to have the '51 keep going up in price?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
anything that you add at this point you won't likely see a return on, you'll get the money you put into it MAYBE.

plus, don't expect it to get much higher than that. There's better guitars out there as far as value is concerned, so it should hit its price ceiling pretty quick if it hasn't already.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Quote by darkarbiter7
Hey,
I recently recieved a two tone sunburst squier 51 from a trade with a friend. I traded him a digitech RP50 and a danelectro fab OD. Score!
Anyways, I have heard that these have been going up in price a bit (wikipedia page says they sell between 150 and 200 bucks now, gaining me a decent profit from my trade). Well, I was wondering if there's any good ways to boost it's value a bit? I already put my blue lace sensor in the neck position, but I was thinking of adding some value by changing the pickguard, tuners, nut, bridge pickup, etc. Would this be worth it in the long run to invest in these things? And is it expected to have the '51 keep going up in price?

Thanks!

Sorry man but I wouldn't be getting overly excited about some sort of big payout. Putting expensive parts on this + the labour charges to do it would NOT be worth your while if you just want to sell it. Let's say you buy $300 worth of new additions for it and it costs $100 for the guy to install them all.....you think someone will pay you $500 for a used Squier? Anything less and you might as well have not spent the money in the first place
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Go ahead and do the additions, but keep it instead of selling it.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Number one: I install my own stuff.
Number two, I'm not gonna do a whole lot to it (atleast not 300 bucks worth).
i'll just get an upgrade bridge on guitarfetish or something (like 15 bucks), some new pots and caps (i dunno, 7 bucks), maybe a new bridge pickup (I know someone who winds them really cheap, maybe 50 bucks), and a set of new tuners (maybe 30 bucks).
Also, i'm not necessarily going to sell it, I actually plan on playing it for a while. It does have a problem with staying in tune (cheap tuners and nut), and the bridge pickup is very compressed and sharp sounding.
I just wanted to know if the price was expected to go up or what.
If it won't, i'll just keep it then. It's a nice guitar.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Other than the expected price increase, I doubt it will increase in value the way the limited edition and really old but mint Fenders and Gibsons do.

The hardcore collectors in the Fender Forum, Tele Forum, and the Squier 51 forum agree that it will indeed go into the "collectible" status but doubt that the value will increase.

During the last Memorial Day sale at GC, I bought a bunch when they were giving them away for $70 ... very nice gifts for friends. I still have 1 left and initially I was thinking of modding it. I decided to leave it in the box since I have access to friends' Squier 51s ... in case I'm wrong and the value increases insanely.

Here's one I modded: Tokai Limited Edition neck, some SD H in the bridge and DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Solo in the neck.

Here's the mod I was planning for the Black Squier 51 I have left: