anyone been following this for best guitarist of all -time vote lately?
I know there have been others, usually by VH1, Rolling Stone, etc but this is one by the fans. So far, Brian May is winning from Queen.
Ok, granted, really good player but best ever?
I have to be honest, I went for a guy like Steve Lukather from Toto.
He is a master and has proven himself over the last 30 years playing not only for Toto but he's is the most sought after studio guitarist around.
Now , they have Hendrix, Clapton on there as well. Hendrix was an innovator but the best? Not sure. Clapton? I'd have to say no. Eddie Van Halen should be in the top 3.
I even had to sidestep Page as he was sloppy at times. Great riffs though.
Well, those are my opinions...any others?
btw, if you want to vote it's here:
vote best guitarist
Last edited by zepfan111 at Dec 11, 2007,
i think all these are going to end up to the voter's own taste and their influences (different strokes for different folks and all that).
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
btw, I was surprised Satriani was left out but not big enough fan base?
The fans nominated and are voting so if you are a great one but not a big name,,,you get lost I think
theguitarplayin is exactly correct, the "Best" guitar player has to be good in every genre, and be able to beat the best guitarist of that genre.
Quote by beetroot10
i went out with a chubby girl once she kept asking me if she could eat my mars bar
1. SRV/Clapton
2. Jimi
3. Frucsiante (spelling?)
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
Well there is obviously no such thing as best guitarist in general. How can one even compare Hendrix, Clapton, & Hammett? There is definately a list of the best, which includes all 3 that I have named... SRV, EVH, Young, Page, and more. All and all, I think this is the most childish question asked by many good guitarists. There are many on the best list, but no best.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I hate all these lists, I don't give a **** who says who is better. I hate your favorite music/guitarists and I love mine, thats the way its always been for me.
Forget living outside the head, retreat within.
Best guitarist ever: Billie Joe Armstrong.

lmao.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Best guitarist, purely by technical ability? Probably Vai.

However, for me it's a tie between Joe Bonamassa, Dave Gilmour, Satch, Jimi H, Jeff Beck and possibly Clapton (60s/70s era, natch).
aw, i hate these threads.

the best guitarist ever is some 90 year old classical guitarist that no ones heard of and no one will appreciate until 40 years after he's dead.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by theguitarplayin
the best guitarist would have to beat each genres best. better than clapton in blues better than page and halen in rick and has be the best in every catergory. the greatest guitarist has yet to exist

You mean Joe Satriani?
Quote by British_Steal
aw, i hate these threads.

the best guitarist ever is some 90 year old classical guitarist that no ones heard of and no one will appreciate until 40 years after he's dead.

Yea... guys like Segovia
Gear:

Ibanez SAS36FM
Ovation Acoustic
Classical Guitar
Amplitube 3 running into a PA
While its all subjective, in terms of raw technical skill and speed, Michael Angelo and Paul Gilbert are near the top.
Quote by Drios
I hate all these lists, I don't give a **** who says who is better. I hate your favorite music/guitarists and I love mine, thats the way its always been for me.

AHMEN ****IN RIGHTS SON!
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!
Hell I love Gilbert, Wylde, Buckethead, Malmsteen! But you can hate em if you want I don't give a ****. You can go **** your rolling stones douchebag daddy ash sniffing crackhead.
i cant believe the moron who put that poll up didnt include pink floyd. i'm sorry but if you have one of the greatest selling albums ever, plus more after it that were/are hugely popular you should be on that list. if bon jovi is and u2 are, come on. i like both those bands but floyd over shadows both by a huge margin.
this is exactly why these polls are a waste of time. like the people said before me. its all subjective and personal opinions just like mine with what i just wrote about floyd. and really who cares. enjoy the music, who cares if your band is the most loved or most hated. isnt that what its all about? music isnt a competition

Edit: and besides, kiss on the list is a joke also. they were sell outs. hardly someone to represent rock 'n roll.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 12, 2007,
The best guitarist shouldn't be measured by technical skill, but rather by their explorations into new genres and spreading their musical talent to change culture. A perfect example is Vai, he's amazing, yes... but he's just playing methodically what he knows will be popular, he's not venturing. Not that that's a bad thing though.

Anyway, in my opinion, influential guitarists should be the "Best" guitarists. And heres the list in MY order, which is not the "correct" order. But in chronological from the beginning of the century.

Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
B.B. King
Chuck Barry
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Which are the most influential because each one influenced and inspired the next in the list.

I.E. Robert Johnson inspired Muddy Waters, and Muddy Waters inspired B.B. King, and B.B. King inspired Chuck Barry, and Chuck Barry inspired Jimi Hendrix...and so on and so forth. If you feel like including EVH, fine... but all he did was spurr in pop, which most of us despise. So I don't like to.

If the list were to continue into the 1990s, you'd get to artists who do not deserve to be accredited with such acclaim as the previous artists, like Kurt Cobain and other guitarists who are known purely for influence, not skill at all, which is sad. It used to be that you NEEDED skill to be influential. Now all you need is money. And past 1997, all #1 songs have been rap.

Damn our world needs a change... =(
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 12, 2007,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
If the list were to continue into the 1990s, you'd get to artists who do not deserve to be accredited with such acclaim as the previous artists, like Kurt Cobain and other guitarists who are known purely for influence, not skill at all, which is sad. It used to be that you NEEDED skill to be influential. Now all you need is money. And past 1997, all #1 songs have been rap.

Damn our world needs a change... =(

A-fucking-men.
It all totally depends on what you judge to be the best. Is someone the best if they can play the fastest? Is someone the best if they have amazing vibrato? Is someone the best if can hybrid pick incredibly?

To me, the best is Hendrix. It's not because of his technique, but just what he did for guitar music and the electric guitar. He's unmatched in that regard. He's closely followed by Clapton too.

Neither of them are my favourite, but I think they're the best/most important guitarists of all time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I get your point, but it's a best rock guitarist vote
therefore, Eddie V, Lukather, Page, Hendrix, etc are on it
Not sure why Brian May is winning other than there are many Queen fans on the site
you can vote here
best guitarist of all time vote
Last edited by zepfan111 at Dec 12, 2007,
do you guys really believe Hendrix was a "great" guitar player? should he really win this as he has won other similar votes by magazine execs, not the fans?
I mean he made a lot of noise and was an innovator but could you put him in the same room as Eddie V or Steve Lukather? Even Stevie Ray or Santana. It would not be close.
JMO...but they really are in different leagues