I understand Major and Minor and have an ok knowledge of Keys.
So i figured i might as well start learning the modes.

so i read an article that was in Guitar World a few months ago, in the "Alchemical Guitarist" which recommended learning them in order of descending brightness (ionian, mixolydian, dorian, aeolian, etc...) but ive also heard of the other way to learn modes, but dont understand it, to me it seems the order of descending brightness makes the most sense. but all i know about this other method, is that it has to do with starting at diffrent degrees of the major scale.

what is that other way/method, and is it better then the order of descending brightness.
The other method is learning them in order.

1. Ionian
2. Dorian
3. Phrygian
4. Lydian
5. Mixolydian
6. Aeolian
7. Locrian

The ionian Mode is Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half
and the modes rotate around that shape as you go down the list, for instance, Dorian is Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole
and the modes continue like that until you get to locrian, which is Half, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, and then it starts right back up again at Ionian.
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
descending brightness (ionian, mixolydian, dorian, aeolian, etc...)

can you finish that list?

ive been wanting to learn the modes, but havent really gotten to it yet. having it in an order like that would probably give me more incentive
You keep flatting notes.

Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 No flats
Mixo: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 One flat
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 Two Flats
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 Three Flats
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 Four Flats
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 Five Flats

I don't know how Lydian fits in, though, but this is kind of an interesting pattern.
Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 8

Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8

Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 8

Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8

Hooray for Google!!!
Also, if you didn't know already, the Ionian Mode is the major scale, and the Aeolian Mode is the natural minor scale.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You keep flatting notes.

Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 No flats
Mixo: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 One flat
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 Two Flats
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 Three Flats
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 Four Flats
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 Five Flats

I don't know how Lydian fits in, though, but this is kind of an interesting pattern.

the way it was explained in the article, when playing the Lydian mode, you flat the root, and raise the fourth.
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
the way it was explained in the article, when playing the Lydian mode, you flat the root, and raise the fourth.

That doesn't make sense, you cant flat a root.
Quote by Early Cuyler
Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 8

Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8

Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 8

Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8

ive just realised that thats the same as the other method, but the order just has one between it if that makes sense.

so other order would be add - 2 flats to every next mode

ionian - 0 flats
dorian - 2 flats
pryrgian - 4 flats

and then start at -1 (or a sharp if u get what i mean)
lydian - -1 flat/1 sharp
mixolydian - 1 flat
aeolian - 3 flats
lochrian - 5 flats
to use the modes each key has 8 modes which fit inside it take those modes and use them to playy over top of there tonic tone chord
I never understood it until I realized all of the modes are a major scale in a different key, i.e E dorian= all notes of the D major scale(beacuse D is the second note in the E major scale), E pryrgian being C major(since C is the third). Don't know why, but that's what finally made me go, OH **** I GET IT.

Its not good to think of them as major scales though, or you'll find yourself feeling limited
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Dec 12, 2007,
Quote by branny1982
7 modes
Well...

Remember the catholic church I was talking about back in your thread? Old guys who wrote most of our theory? They described a mode that had its tonic on the octave, as an eight mode. They even had another name for it, but I cant remember it. How it sounded any different to the Ionian (or whatever name they had for the ionian mode) I dont know.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.