ive been looking around the blues and jazz thread and i didnt really find what i was looking for. does anyone know any songs or artists that do smooth fast jazz sorta like youd see in a night club maybe example (skip to 1:40)
it would be very much appreciated if you could help me out
Hi tom
I wouldn't at all consider that example "Smooth Jazz", more like "solo guitar jazz" played very smoothly.

So if you are looking for a solo guitar jazz player, than Joe Pass is always a good place is start. He's one of the masters.

I give that guy props though for being able to shred good and clean, then play a nice solo jazz guitar thing .
Last edited by Sleepn_Giant at Dec 12, 2007,
George Benson has made many ventures into the smoother commercial side of jazz while remaining a seriously ripping player - Wes was his mentor.
Quote by Nick_
I don't consider trane smooth by any means - I find a lot of his music very challenging to listen to (a good thing)

You don't find him smooth? What about Greensleves or My Favorite Things?
The jazz student
Well you can't compare early Coltrane to sheets of sound Coltrane...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Good point there. But he also shouldn't be seclusive. Some of his catalogue is smooth, some isn't. But it should be noted that he has more than 1 smoothly played composition.
The jazz student
I won't deny that he has played some very smooth stuff, and I do really like his ballad playing from time to time -

but sheets of sound coltrane is the coltrane I primarily listen to and is the sound I identify with him.

Plus there are many tenor players that generally use a much smoother style than trane (they're from a different time period too, one with less pyrotechnics) - Lester Young and Stan Getz come to mind.

anyway I'm not saying don't listen to coltrane I'm saying that there are better introductions to jazz.