I have been tryng to learn how to properly sweep pick but I just cant seem to be able to do it correctly. I mean I can do the finger positions and everything but it comes out really muddy as there is this extra ringing from the other strings. I've seen a couple of people do it but not matter how hard I try I always get strings ringing as I go up and down the arpeggio. I've tried to mute some with my palm ( I was told to do so) but it just isnt working.. is it possible that Its my guitar/pickups? or am I doing it wrong?
you have to take it slow at first, just practice at a pace where there is no extra noise then gradually speed up
find an old tie or some cloth and tie it loosely around the top fret(so it mutes all the strings).

If the string noise goes away then you need to work on your muting technique. (you mute with your fingers as well, finger rolling and such)

If it's not that, then you can get a noise gate which will reduce the noise or modify your guitar and amp settings to be less sensative(turn your guitars tone knob down a bit, for example).
The way I sweep is by muting the strings with the palm of my right. If you do that properly, you should be able to mute out any strings that are making excess noise.
I had this problem at first. It's a pain. Practice really slowly, and you'll learn to be able to mute the strings with your left hand as your fingers leave the strings. As I said, takes some practice though.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Psychedelico
The way I sweep is by muting the strings with the palm of my right. If you do that properly, you should be able to mute out any strings that are making excess noise.

If you do it properly you should even have to mute it unless youre playing way out of your comfort range.

You have to start out slowly at first, there will still be a little bit of ringing but you'll figure out how to mute it. Its not going to just click, it takes time and patience