When you guys pick, do you let your side of the thumb touch the strings or anything? I noticed that I do that a lot, and I've been trying to correct it, but before I put a lot of effort into it, is it a bad technique or anything? Is it considered "more" proper to not touch the strings at all except with your palm muting area and the pick? And fretting, of course. :P

Just need some input on this as I'm not really sure if it'd be a waste of time trying to correct it, or if it's normal.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Depends where you're touching with your thumb. Upload a pic if you can. I'd say unless your locking your thumb down in one place, it shouldn't affect anything. A lot of people sweep by using the side of their thumb to mute the low strings. I just use my palm, its a matter of preference.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Well, it doesn't really affect any notes that are ringing or anything, it sounds fine either way I play... I was just wondering if doing this would cause a setback in technique/speed development, or perhaps my accuracy.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

as long as your bass notes ring out, shouldn't be a problem. Also you're halfway to pinch harmonics. My personal technique is using tortex pix, they have ink-like? logos on one side. I put my thumb on the side with the logo, when the logo fades, therefore compromising my grip,I ditch the pick.
leave me alone, please.
well, i at least, dont think it's a bad thing. you could train yourself to press down a string with your thumb, performing a 5-finger chord if you wanted to.