Im looking for a cheap as chips MFX pro. Its for live work which the tone isnt so important because ill be in the background. Which is the best portable one which doesnt sound like a toy.
I dig the sound of old zoom units, maybe you can get some cheap on ebay, a 9002 maybe?
Quote by 12.Gauge
Im looking for a cheap as chips MFX pro. Its for live work which the tone isnt so important because ill be in the background. Which is the best portable one which doesnt sound like a toy.

And that's where you will stay if you don't make an effort to get good tone.

If you can, get a Boss GT-8. Expensive but worth it. Otherwise, Boss do cheaper ones too, the guy who recommends an ME-50 is spot on.
Digitech Rp250, or pretty much anything from their 2007 RP range. Great distortion and amp sims as well as nice effects. The RP250 is really great. If you can stretch to the 350, you also get XLR outputs and A/B amps
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by webbtje
And that's where you will stay if you don't make an effort to get good tone.

If you can, get a Boss GT-8. Expensive but worth it. Otherwise, Boss do cheaper ones too, the guy who recommends an ME-50 is spot on.

Youre not understanding me at all. a) its a 7 piece band and the guitar is just for 2-3 songs and b) i need to buy something around the £200 mark which is fairly compact and not too saturated sounding.
Quote by 12.Gauge
Youre not understanding me at all. a) its a 7 piece band and the guitar is just for 2-3 songs and b) i need to buy something around the £200 mark which is fairly compact and not too saturated sounding.

well for that money you have lots of choices

take a look at pod and korg toneworks series. I believe korg toneworks ax 1500 has a very good perfomance-price ratio
The zoom g2 is decent, very portable and affordable and has just about every feature you will need. there is a version that comes with a wah pedal aswell.

I've just sold my g2 but i was pleased with it. i am awaiting a boss me50
Quote by cb951303
well for that money you have lots of choices

take a look at pod and korg toneworks series. I believe korg toneworks ax 1500 has a very good perfomance-price ratio

two brands to stay away from are korg and zoom. Korg processors sound terrible. You know how people diss spiders for their crap quality? Well spiders sound awesome compared to the toneworks. And I'm talking about the 3000, I imagine the 1500 being its little brother will sound worse or similiar.

Zoom are very cheap but again the sound is lacking.

To me, the best sounding MFX are from digitech and line6. Boss ofer a lot but don't sound as good to my ears. Digitech is the middle ground with features and psound and line6 pods have really rich nice sound.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Dec 12, 2007,
Quote by DagMX
two brands to stay away from are korg and zoom. Korg processors sound terrible. You know how people diss spiders for their crap quality? Well spiders sound awesome compared to the toneworks. And I'm talking about the 3000, I imagine the 1500 being its little brother will sound worse or similiar.

Zoom are very cheap but again the sound is lacking.

To me, the best sounding MFX are from digitech and line6. Boss ofer a lot but don't sound as good to my ears. Digitech is the middle ground with features and psound and line6 pods have really rich nice sound.

I heard many people saying the same things for all kinds of digitech MFXs
line6 is good but pricey. for best value I still say korg 1500 (dont know anything about 3000)
General rule, Multi-FX tend to sound like toys.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by cb951303
I heard many people saying the same things for all kinds of digitech MFXs
line6 is good but pricey. for best value I still say korg 1500 (dont know anything about 3000)

eh the old x00 series were pretty crap and the lowest range had horrible construction quality, but the x50 series as most people will agree are pretty good. Can't vouch for the low end double-digit models though since I haven't used them.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I'm really happy with the Boss ME-50. I started with the Boss MT-2 distortion pedal. Then, I realized that the pedal was $80 and the ME-50 was $300. For the $300, I got the MT-2 (as one little setting) plus sevaral other types of overdrive / distortion, modulation, delay, programmable banks, etc. It was easy to see the $300 was a MUCH better deal than the $80 so I returned the MT-2 and got the ME-50.
Quote by 12.Gauge

i got a gt8 for £240 new in a shop in glasgow so it should be cheaper online
If you can find a GNX2 cheap they are a good unit. MultiFX require a lot of tweaking, so I consider it essential that you have the ability to edit them on your computer. Also you want more than 2 digits to describe the preset name. The GNX can be edited with software thru midi and the FX are good. You can do a lot with the amp modeling because it has two engines and you can blend amp models.

The Korg units have some decent sounds but the modulation FX on the AX1500G are limited and I didn't like it that much. The Boss GT-8 amp/distortion models are fizzy, but the time/modulation FX and configuration options are top notch. I sold my GT-8 because I didn't really like the amp models.

I'm guessing that the newer RP series are pretty good because they have the AudioDNA2 engine vs. the older FX. Plus a USB interface. The GNX has the older audio engine but the dual amp models seem to make a big difference over the older RP series. I had an RP300A and the GNX2/3 is far better.

The best distortion/amp sounds I've found are on the Tonelab. The tube modeling of the power stage seems to give some nice tones devoid of the fizziness found in other modeler. I have a Tonelab tabletop version and like it a lot.