Page 1 of 3
This guitar was originally going to be for me. On of my clients found out about it, and offered me too much money. Once again i dont get to keep my own guitars Andy's has a seven string baritone already, and a six string baritone on order to be built next year. He's already talking about a fourth guitar

Here is the neck. Indian Rosewood, scarf jointed this time...

and the body blank. Black Limba (quarter sawn of course!)

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Surface planed, then routed for the truss rod.

Fretboard was tapered and glued down (its a 26.2" scale length, with a 45mm nut... Andy is a big guy), then the neck joint was routed. This will be a set neck.

Fits like a glove

Next, are the pickup cavities.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Andy wanted a bunch of different ideas for this guitar, and gave me the final decision. We'll use some of the other ideas in other guitars... maybe.

Used a local CNC place to cut the engraving, although they didnt do it deep enough, so i just ended up doing it by hand as usual.

I forgot to get picture of the inlay after this, but i'll get some next week...

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Oh, incase you cant make it out, the hand is Ace six six six Ace.

Shaping the neck. Rosewood is a little tougher than maple, but the extra effort is worth it.

This wood, gives me a wood

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
All finished, and rough sanded. I fretted it prior to shaping, will get photos later.

Gotta do the standard 'Ormsby Test' for the neck joint. If it isnt tight enough to hold the body WITHOUT glue, then it doesnt meet spec.

Just look at that wood. SEXY.

Time to glue!

Thats all for now folks. More next week.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
That's awesome xD The neck wood looks great. How is it going to be finished?
Satin clear for the body and headstock. No lacquer on the neck. I have an oil mixure i use for natural necks like this, although rosewood really doesnt need anything for the majority of players. Andy sweats a lot on stage, so i'll be oiling this one just to make sure.

Here is Andy's first guitar of mine. I had to start and finish it in ten days to meet a tour deadline (although he thought he was going to get it for their second tour a few months later). Made in time, just, and delivered it straight to the first gig with ten minutes to spare and surprised him. What a buzz. 7 string 27.5" scale. Tuned B-e

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
This is what come to mind when I saw those inlays

The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be,
The Ace of Spades

Seriously, I gotta make a note somewhere to buy a guitar from you when I'm rich.
They've all got some unique awesome feature that really sets them apart.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Damn gorgeous. I'd kill for your ability.

EDIT: is the body just one piece?
Last edited by Justin Credible at Dec 12, 2007,
wow man. that's an awesome guitar.

and when i saw your neck joint test, i just became a happier person
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
wow, i am genuinly in awe.
i can only dream of owning something like that.
what did you use to shape the neck ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
gona be another masterpiece from sir ormsby!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Can you get a picture of the finished inlay? It looks amazing from the little bit I can see.
Hey buddy, hope you don't mind, but I have a question about installing truss rods.

After the cavity for it is routed, is the rod just put into the cavity, and the fretboard put in place over the top?
Quote by snot_foster25
Hey buddy, hope you don't mind, but I have a question about installing truss rods.

After the cavity for it is routed, is the rod just put into the cavity, and the fretboard put in place over the top?

Thats the way i do it, yes. Dual action rods need a straight rout, not curved like a Gibson or Fender, which have single action rods.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Oh, so the rod itself isn't glued in or anything like that? It just sits?

By the way, I love your builds, and just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to have one sent to Melbourne?
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue

I was under the impression when you make a neck thru, you glue 2 pieces of wood on either side of your neck...
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
i think it was a joke, atleast i hope so
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Quote by Cofflecakes
I was under the impression when you make a neck thru, you glue 2 pieces of wood on either side of your neck...

You're right, but this is a set neck, not a neck through

Great work again perry, should be absolutely wonderful when its done!
Quote by t heff

easy, i use magnets

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by snot_foster25
Oh, so the rod itself isn't glued in or anything like that? It just sits?

By the way, I love your builds, and just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to have one sent to Melbourne?

Yup, no glue. I do add a layer of very thin foam, or a couple small drops of silicone gap sealant to stop rattles.

Postage to Melb is about $90-110 depending on the case size. I'll be in Melbourne in two weeks

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Haha, Melbourne is a goooooood place.

I need to order some body wood off you soon. Just sayin'.

I'm always impressed by your builds.
Quote by Dark_Merlin
You're right, but this is a set neck, not a neck through

Great work again perry, should be absolutely wonderful when its done!

If you read my post properly, you'd realize t heff was asking about a neck through. Check and mate :P

I have 1.5k in my new guitar fund, so I've been trying to think of what i'd be after.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
So, including an approximate amount for postage, how much would it cost for one of those 7-string baritones you had on here not long ago?

Oh, and your price includes a case?
Well, its all relative to what you want/need. The most expensive guitar I've ever taken an order for is about $4800, the start price for customs are $2100, and the majority of people spend around $2800-3300. Aussie dollars of course. There will be a small price rise in 2008.

I do have a seven string for sale at the moment. Its the original SS7-R as seen on my website. It was recently traded back in when the guy picked up his new guitar. I havent been telling anyone its available yet, because a couple bands have asked to record with it. You'll have to email for pricing etc. Its a killer guitar, built purely for recording the biggest chunkiest tone. Its in near mint condition, with zero fret wear.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Probably not for a couple weeks, we are shutting down for the xmas break today, and i dont know if we will get any work done over that period. Holidays are supposed to be holidays

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Probably not for a couple weeks, we are shutting down for the xmas break today, and i dont know if we will get any work done over that period. Holidays are supposed to be holidays

I'll give you head for a new guitar!

Seriously, I'm desperate.

Rad build dude.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
never will your work cease to impress me man awsome just awsome
I am me. Live with it.
Page 1 of 3