Page 1 of 2
Imagine the scenario: you're bored at home on a Friday evening, practising slapped harmonics in front of the Simpsons or Hollyoaks or whatever and you get a phone call.

It's the manager of a band who somehow knew to call you when their bassist got arrested/too drunk/locked in the bathroom before a gig. They've sent a limo to pick you and your bass up and you'll be on stage with them in two hours.

What band would you want this to be and why?
FOB... Why? If I mess up, no one would know. /FOB bash

For real though, asuming I was good enough to play their songs, BTBAM or The Black Dahlia Murder. Why? Listen to them sometime.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Iron Maiden of course.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones - because of the money
John Coltrane (I know he is dead) - for the lulz
The jazz student
The old GNR. Not the new junk with bucket head. or Velvet Revolver.
Quote by Confused4930
Fender? Never heard of them...maybe I should check them out....
Mastodon, for sure. They have incredibly fun to play songs, some awesome basslines I could show off with, and they're one of my favourite bands. Plus, they all seem like cool guys.
Quote by RJayZ
Mastodon, for sure. They have incredibly fun to play songs, some awesome basslines I could show off with, and they're one of my favourite bands. Plus, they all seem like cool guys.

Have you actually met them? I've met both guitarists and they aren't what I'd call friendly...
GnR would be cool, if not only for the chance to play with bumblefoot.

or Steve Vai, that'd be a good gig.

Also, cool thread idea.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by smb
Have you actually met them? I've met both guitarists and they aren't what I'd call friendly...

from what I've seen, Brent is drunk all the time, and the other one is a bit of a sarcastic ass.

Although Troy seems cool. But then again, this is just fom what I've seen, not encountered.
Bayside, not cause of the basslines, cause I bloody love them.

Dream Theater would be a laugh. If eternal shame is a laugh.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
AFI, Silverstein, or Chiodos

I'd hold my own...
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
Quote by smb

Nah, I've not met them, but I've seen interviews with Troy/Brann, who both seem very cool. I've not...heard anything about Brent and Bill though >_> I just assumed they'd be cool because Troy and Brann are.
Hmm. Hard choice but if I had to narrow it down---

Booker T and the MGs
Led Zeppelin
The Stranglers
Any of the 2 Tone ska bands
Fugazi
Tower of Power
And any of Miles Davis' line ups ( and yes, I know I'd have to make a way back trip for that one, and would phail replacing any of his bass players).
Quote by Deliriumbassist
from what I've seen, Brent is drunk all the time, and the other one is a bit of a sarcastic ass. Although Troy seems cool. But then again, this is just fom what I've seen, not encountered.
Be fair to Brent - sometimes he's stoned instead. I've never seen someone drink as much during a gig as Bill did the third time I saw Mastodon though...the guy kept downing bottles of bud between songs!
Quote by RJayZ
Nah, I've not met them, but I've seen interviews with Troy/Brann, who both seem very cool. I've not...heard anything about Brent and Bill though >_> I just assumed they'd be cool because Troy and Brann are.
Troy does always seem a damn cool guy. I'll make it my mission to meet him next time I see Mastodon.
if i wanted to sit on my ass and be a no-talent asshole, id say good charolette, fallout boy, maybe something like that....

but seriously, id say shadows fall.
it would have to be someone I know all the songs to because I dont wanna go on stage not knowing what the hell im doing

keeping that in mind the only people I could say yes to would be,

Stevie Wonder
Meshuggah
Between the Buried and Me
Bloodhound Gang
The Offspring
Pearl Jam
Billy Idol

Bands that are no longer with us that I could say yes to would be...
Morphine (he would of had to sing though b/c my voice sounds like its been shredded with razor blades)
Blink 182
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Tool, cuz just how awesome would that be?

Metallica, for the ungodly amount of time Newstead was there...<.< I would've actually done them some good (but thats just my opinion, RIP cliff burton, blah blah etc)

Um... maybe Eric Clapton.

I'd have to bone up on all their lineups before hand though.

interesting thread.
Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin
Madness
The Specials
Reel Big Fish
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Billy Sheehan! (on tour) lolz.

On a more serious note - Muse.
For an easy paycheck and being able to hang out with an attractive woman, Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. Their songs are easy, and they aren't too bad looking.

For something that would actually be fun, though, I'd say Derek Webb. He's a Christian artist who is more into the folk, single acoustic guitar scene, but he's got some pretty rocking tunes and it's pretty amazing when he has a full band backing him.
Dillinger Escape Plan.

Even though i can only play panasonic youth.
Pink Floyd, if Roger Waters was singing in appropriate bits.

Actually, scratch that, I'd not even try and replace him-I'd give up on playing with them if the original lineup did another concert.

Metallica, The Who, Iron Maiden...so many of my top bands have dead members who aren't the bassist, though, and it'd suck to have them playing without that focal part.
based on my current skill level i'd have to decline to stop myself from emabaressing myself and butchering the song. but if i was good enough then:
Cannibal Corpse
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Napalm Death
Exodus
Atheist (if they were still around)
Mastodon
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
lostprophets because theyre songs are easy but not boring and i would like to play to an arena .
Mastodon
Iron Maiden
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Stratovarius
Black Sabbath
AFI
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Incubus,
Tool,
Jamiroquai.

That would be so awesome...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
bad religion
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If I had just wanted a list of bands I would have asked for that...the important part is the "why" guys!

I think I'd choose Black Sabbath. Geezer's lines are great fun to play and the band as a whole really play off of each other. The atmosphere at their gigs is great and you can tell the band really enjoy what they do. Plus I've learned most of their songs so I wouldn't look a fool!

Queens of the Stone Age would be good too - plenty of jamming in their live shows so it'd be challenging, plus their old stuff has some great bass.
Black Sabbath.
Ohhhhhh, to bust out Geezer's lines at arena volume... *drools*
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
ah the "why"

Well, the fact that I know the back catalogue of the bassists I mentioned helps.

I'd love to play that one gig with Toool because I respect them all so much as musicians, and it's an area of music I haven't really had the chance to do in a live setting before.

Mastodon, because it looks like damn fun, whilst being nice and heavy at the same time

Coheed and Cambria because I just love them. I love the whole grandeur of their live set.
Mastodon should be on my list too really. They are the band I listen to most at the moment but it's not really the style of bass I play. I'd rather sing for them really!

It'd be fun to play Death From Above 1979 but the drummer seems like a knob and it wouldn't be right...ooh I'd love to play in the Mark Lanegan Band though. Mark is a fantastic singer and it's great music. Maybe I should give this more thought already.
Quote by Funkbass796
Mastodon
Iron Maiden
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Stratovarius
Black Sabbath
AFI

Because these are bands that I love musically, and also have rather good bass parts in most of their songs.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Forcemaster
GnR would be cool, if not only for the chance to play with bumblefoot.

or Steve Vai, that'd be a good gig.

Also, cool thread idea.

Gnr, because while Axl is probably a little off his rocker, the stuff he's been working on (and has been leaked) is truly great stuff. And I think he's a real musical visionary. And the band he's assembled are all fantastic musicians that i'd kill to play with.

And Vai for a similar reason he's a true virtuoso in every sense of the world, having seen him twice now he continues to impress me with his musicality.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I'd love to take Pino's place in The Who, and playing with Joe Zawinul is a sign that you're the best of the best.

I'd also love to play bass with the Damn Dirty Grapes but I'd never fill the sexy beast's shoes

/selfpromotion
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^nice, anarkee

I'd say,
Christian McBride Band
Dave Matthews Band
Pat Metheny Group
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Jamiroquai
Red Hot Chili Peppers

all because I love their music and I'd learn so much from playing with any of them.
Got Bass?
Page 1 of 2