Page 2 of 2
All of these are great covers. The Monte Montgomery piece is masterful, as is the JesseBlues take. Others are very different, but still great. I would rate any one of these higher than Vai's take on the song, which was very lacking in feel and taste and really didn't do justice to the song IMO.

Monte Montgomery

JesseBlues on a National

Carlos Vamos taps on acoustic

Tibor Tatrai does it nice and slow

Steve Lukather - a bit heavy on effects, but still a decent effort

John Mayer
I've never really liked Jimi's version. SRV's version is one of my favorite guitar solos ever. The Vai version is pretty good.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
bahahahaha neil young also did it!

btw jimi hendrix maybe considered by most "amazing" but ive seen the whole woodstock concert when he played and he was terrible he was drug ****ed as all hell and just stumbled around playing terribly sorry
SRV without a doubt.

Keller Williams also did quite an awesome acoustic cover on it. Not crazy soloing, but an awesome song nonetheless.
Quote by bokuho
-
- Far, far behind anyone else's, is SRV's. He raped that song every which way he could in the most horrendous ways imaginable. There is literally not a single thing more he could have done to bugger it all up. After bloodily murdering Little Wing with the addition of his usual obnoxious, pretentious wankery that is present in 75% of his own songs, he seemingly felt the need to then brutally desecrate the song's corpse by tacking on an extra song's worth of abhorrent noise. It doesn't help his cause that his delivery of the song came off with all the feeling and sincerity of a drunk Grim Reaper at a home for the elderly. It's like he wants you to hate him, like every note he plays is a wish for you to turn the song off in disgust. SRV's other work is predominantly boring, with dashes of pointlessly ostentatious and conceited arse-hattery. But his smug, loathsome raping of Little Wing is not just pretentious and boring, it's downright offensive and insulting. Clapton and Allman may have looped the song around for a second time pointlessly, and Skid Row might have added in a redundant second guitar and hair-metal wailing, but SRV actually managed to go so far as to for all intents and purposes, piss on Hendrix's grave. I'm not a religious man by any degree, but part of me does quietly wish that there is an afterlife, so Hendrix can meet up with Vaughan and crack a vintage Fender over his head in return for the murder of Little Wing.

... In my opinion, of course

HAHAHAHAHHAAAHAH

Your sheer hatred is impressive. Congratulations.

I'd long forgotten about that SRV version of Little Wing, but then I read your post and it all came back to me.

I'd deleted it long ago from my library - it made me despise that song at the time.

Hendrix all the way. I kind of like that version he did on the 100 greatest guitar solos CD, even with his screwed up solo at the end.
Originally posted by Capua47:

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
I like both the Jimi version and the SRV version.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Could John Mayer try to clone SRV any more than he already has done in most of his blues music? Yes he can! He can rip off Stevie's Little Wing cover. Jesus, it isn't even funny how blatantly obvious that is.
Well the G3 version is ok... if you turn the volume down whenever Malmsteen is playing. But Satch and Vai do some very good solos on that one, and Vai's singing is surprisingly good.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I prefer the original, followed by SRV, then Derick and the Dominoes. I actually turned off the G3 version in the middle of the song - Vai, Satch and Malmsteen put together don't have half as much soul as Hendrix. All they're good for is technical speed-wankery. I'm sure they could replicate the original pretty well, but trying to put their own spin on it...shudders

....But I'd really love to hear Dream Theater cover it in a Pink Floydish style.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Nice slide attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4GedD7S0M

Johnny Winter did a powerful electric version too in his own style, real different from Hendrix's, although both knew each other real well and hanged together a lot.

Just got to dig the LP out from the vinyl mine and spin it in the 'puter.
Hate? Why all this hate? They're all great guitarists, and the song is not that hard to play, now, is it?

Hendrix gets special credit because he wrote the darn thing. The Derek and the Dominoes versions is a completely different take on the song. It sound nothing like what Hendrix wrote. I like it a lot. Stevie Ray Vaughan does it very well, too. And I like Steve Vai's version, which I just listened to. I don't like a lot of Steve Vai's work, but he has a really nice touch on this one.

I even like my version.
Easily a fan of SRV's version. I love Hendrix's, but I think SRV's is like tone perfection.

I think Vai has FAR too much reverb on his version and the tone is quite...angular? I dunno, that's the main issue I have, not what he's actually playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
SRV and Jimi tied hehe - too close to call!

Vai's cover blows... He can't play any of the classics... Listen to G3's version of La Grange by ZZ Top - its atrocious!!! And I would have expected something decent out of Petrucci or Satriani, but its total ****in' ****e....
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I love SRV's version but my favorite is a version that Jimi Hendrix did, it's instrumental and a little more aggressive than his other versions. I haven't ever seen it on youtube or anywhere that I can link to though.

There is a version on youtube of Hendrix playing it in a bar with some other guys with an organ and a harmonica that's pretty sweet, it's just a blues jam over little wing.

IMO Steve Vai raped it, I really didn't like his version at all.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
I love SRV's version but my favorite is a version that Jimi Hendrix did, it's instrumental and a little more aggressive than his other versions. I haven't ever seen it on youtube or anywhere that I can link to though.

There is a version on youtube of Hendrix playing it in a bar with some other guys with an organ and a harmonica that's pretty sweet, it's just a blues jam over little wing.

IMO Steve Vai raped it, I really didn't like his version at all.

That's my favorite version from Jimi Hendrix too. This was a jam he did at Cafe-a-GoGo. IMO it was his best live performance of it.
Quote by craig_mccann
btw i wasnt just judging guitar i was judging the voice too, which SRV doesnt sing, or atleast not in the versions iv heard from him anyway. but overall i still prefer Steve Vai

So? Vocals don't make a good piece of music. In some cases they ruin it.
Quote by bokuho
- Hendrix's original is the best by far. Easily one of the best songs ever written/recorded. Simple as.

- Quite a way behind that (as in they're so far behind, they don't come anywhere close to it), would be the versions by Skid Row and by Derek And The Dominos. Both are good songs in their own right, but once you put them next to the original, they sound like horrible murderings of a perfectly good song. As I said, they're okay on their own though; I can happily listen to them without wanting to murder everyone who worked on them. They're 'acceptable'.

- Vai's version is up next, again, a long way from the other two covers mentioned above. It's not a good cover - in fact it's plain crap - but at least it is just plain crap. It's bad, but it's not insultingly bad, and I get the impression he at least had good intentions when he did it.

- Far, far behind anyone else's, is SRV's. He raped that song every which way he could in the most horrendous ways imaginable. There is literally not a single thing more he could have done to bugger it all up. After bloodily murdering Little Wing with the addition of his usual obnoxious, pretentious wankery that is present in 75% of his own songs, he seemingly felt the need to then brutally desecrate the song's corpse by tacking on an extra song's worth of abhorrent noise. It doesn't help his cause that his delivery of the song came off with all the feeling and sincerity of a drunk Grim Reaper at a home for the elderly. It's like he wants you to hate him, like every note he plays is a wish for you to turn the song off in disgust. SRV's other work is predominantly boring, with dashes of pointlessly ostentatious and conceited arse-hattery. But his smug, loathsome raping of Little Wing is not just pretentious and boring, it's downright offensive and insulting. Clapton and Allman may have looped the song around for a second time pointlessly, and Skid Row might have added in a redundant second guitar and hair-metal wailing, but SRV actually managed to go so far as to for all intents and purposes, piss on Hendrix's grave. I'm not a religious man by any degree, but part of me does quietly wish that there is an afterlife, so Hendrix can meet up with Vaughan and crack a vintage Fender over his head in return for the murder of Little Wing.

... In my opinion, of course
And I thought I'd forgotten why you're a tard

SRV's version is the best. Jimi's version is nice, but too plain. The SRV version is out-and-out SRV - blues improv, the real way.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

SRV's version is the best. Jimi's version is nice, but too plain. The SRV version is out-and-out SRV - blues improv, the real way.

agreed.
All this Vai hate sucks.

When it's own compositions most people see Vai as a decent guitarist but when he covers a "classic" it's all guitar wankery when on little wing it isnt, he barely "wanks" the guitar he knows when to and when to not play fast however.
I dunno why, but for some reason the only version i like is jimi's. I always felt it was quite short and sweet, unlike every other version i've heard, which are usually kind of dragged out. PS the hendrix version at albert hall is orgasmic.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Page 2 of 2