Well, I've played bass for about three or so years now, and I've played guitar before that, and piano. I always loved it, even the really 'boring' parts alot of people seem to hate, but lately, I've just stopped. I don't know why, I only play to play with one of my bands, or at gigs, that's prettymuch it, I've stopped taking lessons, songs/techniques are either too easy and I get bored or way too hard and I just get frustrated and feel like I'm bad at bass, I can't seem make myself like it anymore

Help please?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Get out of your comfort zone.

Try something/listen to something new. Take inspiration from something you've never heard before.
same thing happened to me, i just kinda walked away from it for a bit then i got the itch again and picked it up. now i just play when i want and i can actually hear myself getting better, because im playing what i want to play nothing more nothing less
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul St.
Peavy Classic VTX 200w
dunlop crybaby wah
boss metal zone distortion
Just wait a while. Dont force yourself into liking it. Its surely just a phase that youre going through. Youll get over it. Or not.
You've hit a rut in your playing. I also hit one around the 3 year mark but I just kept at it and something will come along that makes you realise just how much you really enjoyed it before, everyone I know gets this, it's a common thing and if you stick at it, it's something that will pass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
go back to the piano for a while
I play a few instruments and I always balance between them
I'm a piano/acoustic guitar person at the moment
a year ago I was more into drums than anything else

remember - there's only one music
instruments are just different approaches

you love music, don't you?
Try to really stretch yourself. It may just be to learn to really build up speed for a song like Scarified. Try to just play with a drum machine/drummer slave and try to just set down a groove, and expand on it.

To try and rescover your love, try to go to new areas. And don't dismis speed so easily. If you can double your speed (extreme, but easy for example) you can now potentially fit twice as many notes into licks and riffs, which gives you more freedom to experiment with extra grace notes to add more texture into your playing.

And finally, if you feel there is no hope, simply stop for a month or two. There is no point forcing it on. However, I would recommend you keep your gear. Then, if in a month or twos time you get a sudden urge to try it again, it's no problem.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by indie-bassist
You've hit a rut in your playing. I also hit one around the 3 year mark but I just kept at it and something will come along that makes you realise just how much you really enjoyed it before, everyone I know gets this, it's a common thing and if you stick at it, it's something that will pass.

This is the second or third time this has happened though, I don't know why it keeps happening, even live gigs don't do much for me anymore, I don't know what it is, I think I'm still as good as I always have been. When I learned YYZ at first I was really happy and so on and when I tried to play yesterday I thought I wouldn't be able to cos I'd stopped, and I tried, (not trying to brag) but it was really just too easy, sure I slipped up once or twice but it really did nothing to me....

Quote by gm jack
Try to really stretch yourself. It may just be to learn to really build up speed for a song like Scarified. Try to just play with a drum machine/drummer slave and try to just set down a groove, and expand on it.

To try and rescover your love, try to go to new areas. And don't dismis speed so easily. If you can double your speed (extreme, but easy for example) you can now potentially fit twice as many notes into licks and riffs, which gives you more freedom to experiment with extra grace notes to add more texture into your playing.

I've tried things like that, I can already play quite fast though, from going through my metal phase, I can do most of Scarified, but the solos just make me feel bad....
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
I've been having the same problem for a few weeks now. It happens to me pretty frequently though, so I'm hoping it's the same this time. I usually just wait it out and all of a sudden I think, "holy ****, I could go for some bass right now."
Quote by sammcl-15
This is the second or third time this has happened though, I don't know why it keeps happening, even live gigs don't do much for me anymore, I don't know what it is, I think I'm still as good as I always have been. When I learned YYZ at first I was really happy and so on and when I tried to play yesterday I thought I wouldn't be able to cos I'd stopped, and I tried, (not trying to brag) but it was really just too easy, sure I slipped up once or twice but it really did nothing to me....

I've tried things like that, I can already play quite fast though, from going through my metal phase, I can do most of Scarified, but the solos just make me feel bad....

Maybe challenge yourself by composing some solo pieces and branching off in directions you're not really been before.

About it happening two or 3 times, same here, it's just a passing phase.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Tallman

That's the kinda thing I'm talking about, I really appreciate the effort, but it didn't wanna make me wanna play at all, I just dont think I can slap like that. I can see that it's good, and I listened a few times but I didn't wanna play.
Quote by Demonikk
+1

Quote by Charlatan_001
Quote by sammcl-15
I just dont think I can slap like that.

If you want to, just learn.

PMA (positive mental attitude) Just put your mind to it.
don't sweat it. i've stopped playing for months at a time. the desire to play has always returned, and my appreciation for playing bass, is even stronger than before.
it's strange, but my life seems to run better when i have my bass, and my band(s), practicing or gigging, on a regular basis. getting out and seeing live bands usually lights my fire to play. so get out a see some new bands, maybe that'll help.
Well if you want a refreshment, try learning new techniches. Try listing to different music and listen to the bass lines. Give the bass a break, a short one and come back to it.
Listen to other instruments and try to incorporate into your playing what you like about those other instruments, check only piano music, guitar, drums, flute, sitar, etc, etc. That's what I do when I get bored.
hey man, i know what youre going through. i took a solid year off. not playing at all, no guitar, no bass. just worked and slept. in janurary i sat in for a band on bass and was like wow. this is what i need to be doing. now im a full time bass player and learning keyboard.
here's the perfect time for...

NEW BASS...or any piece of equipment, you'd be suprised how new gear can reestablish your love
If you're finding advance techniques and such too easy, how about focus more on good songwriting. I'm more inspired these days by bands whose instrumentalists work together to make a great song rather than throwing all the tricks they know in. Find a singer/songwriter or something along those lines that focus more on telling a story with their lyrics with an instrumental backdrop rather than bands that use the lyrics as just a bridge between solos. You may find simplicity is the best inspiration.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
don't sweat it. i've stopped playing for months at a time. the desire to play has always returned, and my appreciation for playing bass, is even stronger than before.
it's strange, but my life seems to run better when i have my bass, and my band(s), practicing or gigging, on a regular basis. getting out and seeing live bands usually lights my fire to play. so get out a see some new bands, maybe that'll help.

I agree with this whole statement, but this part especially. Hell, I get inspired from looking at Myspaces of some of the local bands around here who Im friends with (one having a damn good bassist who is younger than me... Hes about got Chromatic Fantasy down...) and seeing how far theyve gotten and I get irratated and try to improve myself.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
I agree with this whole statement, but this part especially. Hell, I get inspired from looking at Myspaces of some of the local bands around here who Im friends with (one having a damn good bassist who is younger than me... Hes about got Chromatic Fantasy down...) and seeing how far theyve gotten and I get irratated and try to improve myself.

I still enjoy gigging, but last few times I just haven't been that into it or that bothered, but you reminded me about the younger player thing, thank you
Quote by Demonikk
+1

Quote by Charlatan_001
This may sound like a bullshit response, like 75% of mine are, but buy, borrow, or download a copy of Weather Report's 8:30. A record, a CD, tape, mp3, lithograph, stained glass, ****ing waffle cone, just get it.

Listen to Birdland. No, not the pinch harmonics. The walking. Listen to the walking. No, not the baloney "ooh, oooh, I'm so exotic I refuse to play anything other than my cymbals" drumming on the studio version with the occasional walking, but listen to the LIVE Peter Erskine (who plays IMO the best drum pattern ever in this song) drum while Jaco walks just behind the beat. If that doesn't make you want to club an old lady with your bass and take a hostage (in a good way), I don't know what will.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..