http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S470DXQM#
Here's the Ibanez

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2912000522#
Here's the Jackson
The Ibanez is extremely light so I can lift the guitar by the Whammy in order to get some cool soudns out of the guitar. It has the Volume and Tone Control, as well as three pick-ups.

I'm not sure how heavy the Jackson is, but it's got a great look to it, plus it's got 24 frets as opposed to only 22 on the Ibanez. It only has the Volume control, no tone, and only 2 pick-ups.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

I'll be playing a lot of Metal (Iron Maiden Style, not Death too much) but I'll also be playing some Rock (Zeppelin, Beatles) and Blues (Clapton, etc.)

I'd ideally like to spend around 500-600 for the guitar, but I can go as high as around 1,000.

I'm also getting a new amp, because I only have a tiny Fender Frontman (I'm finally upgrading after a few years of having this crappy Squier).

So... what do you all think?
I would say the Ibanez, no question usually, however, the pickups on the Jackson would possibly sway me.

I will also ask, what amp are you getting?

I'll recommend based on that
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
They're very different. The trem on the Ibanez is better but the Jackson trem will have a bigger range. The ibanez has a flat, skinny neck whilst the jackson neck is just like a skinnier strat neck. There are more differences, but I'm too lazy to type them.

Basically the jackson will be a better METULZ guitar whilst the ibanez is more versatile.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The Ibanez (imo) would be better for the styles you listed in that they seem to be pretty versatile. That and the S series are awesome guitars and I'd rather have one over a Jackson anyday of the week, even if it only has 22 frets
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Jackson all the way. I personally like the pickups more and the neck has a great feel. I have never played a Jackson that I didn't like the neck of.
...shun the nonbeliever...
id go ibanez, but ya the p/us on the kelly are better, but whats the price diff? you could easily stick on some Sds if you wanted
Ibanez. Muuuch better trem, and i really like how light it is. Herman li plays one, so its gonna have a pretty fast neck, and even if u dont like the pickups, u can always get some good Duncans or DiMarzios.
Quote by piginacanoe212
jackson has better pickups

this is honestly not true, my jackson kelly std has terrible pups. My s270 pwns it in every way (despite not having an sz system. the thing about the kelly is it gets chipped so badly with its weird shape. Such a beautiful shape however. I gave mine away stupidly.
Before you spend up to $1000 on a guitar, realize that the Squier will sound great plugged into a $1000 amp.
I know that wasn't the question, but the amp is everything!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by timi_hendrix
^ Well yours isn't the one he's looking at, is it?

^ no they of course do everything customised at Jackson no two guitars are ever the same.
Quote by 12.Gauge
^ no they of course do everything customised at Jackson no two guitars are ever the same.

Ugh, no, they're not.

There are different models, and the model he's looking at is not the same model you had. The pickups on the guitar he's looking at are very good, where the guitar you had, is a lower end one (I think) and the pickups on it would have been weak.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ibanez is releasing a 24fret s ver next year
fcuk'in MIJ!!!!
I've heard that the sound quality of the Ibanez is not as good as the Jackson, but I'm not sure for myself.

I'm pretty sure that the prices are both around $500.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do for an Amp, because I know nothing about them. If you guys could give some suggestions in that area too, that would be appreciated.
Quote by nido
ibanez is releasing a 24fret s ver next year
fcuk'in MIJ!!!!

Are you sure about that? Because if that's the case I will definitely wait on that. Do you know when exactly it will come out?
Despite Jackson being my favorite [affordable] guitar brand, I seem to keep receiving Ibanez's. None of my friends even own a Jackson, so I'd go with the Kelly.
Quote by nido
so juz wait for that one

Yes, they are. But the only ones I've seen advertised like this are the Prestige models and all S Prestiges are $1300+ new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
u got some time to save up on some extra cash
^Damnit, stop double posting.

Anyways...

The Ibanez S470 will be much more versatile than the Jackson Kelly. Change out the pickups, along with a new (but good) amp, you'll have a good sound! The Ibanez stock pickups (IFN) just plain suck IMO, but that's why everyone is recommending you to swap them out. The ZR trem is fantastic and reliable, I doubt it would break down even after extensive use.

The Jackson Kelly however, has Seymour Duncan pickups installed already which sound pretty good (although not blow your mind out amazing). You may like them already, or if you don't, just take them out and sell them for another pair. The Jackson LFR is alright, and I think it's a direct swap for an OFR. When I tried out the guitar, the trem was stiff as hell! I would highly recommend trying out the guitar in store to see if you like the neck and sound of the Kelly.

As for the '08 S 24 frets, I bet they are gonna be expensive as hell. Seeing as current MIK S prestiges are absolute ripoffs (S470 model but with a hardcase, fancy top and DiMarzio / IBZ pickups... but for an extra £500 odd? Gah.)..
Quote by Mwoit
^Damnit, stop double posting.

Anyways...

The Ibanez S470 will be much more versatile than the Jackson Kelly. Change out the pickups, along with a new (but good) amp, you'll have a good sound! The Ibanez stock pickups (IFN) just plain suck IMO, but that's why everyone is recommending you to swap them out. The ZR trem is fantastic and reliable, I doubt it would break down even after extensive use.

The Jackson Kelly however, has Seymour Duncan pickups installed already which sound pretty good (although not blow your mind out amazing). You may like them already, or if you don't, just take them out and sell them for another pair. The Jackson LFR is alright, and I think it's a direct swap for an OFR. When I tried out the guitar, the trem was stiff as hell! I would highly recommend trying out the guitar in store to see if you like the neck and sound of the Kelly.

As for the '08 S 24 frets, I bet they are gonna be expensive as hell. Seeing as current MIK S prestiges are absolute ripoffs (S470 model but with a hardcase, fancy top and DiMarzio / IBZ pickups... but for an extra £500 odd? Gah.)..

Ok, this has been the most helpful post of all. I'm definitely leaning to the Ibanez now. The only thing is, I wanted a distincitve body for my guitar. I'm tired of seeing the same slassic shape everywhere. I'll definitely have to try both of them out before I decide. I wish I could just transplant everything from the S470 onto just the hollow body of the Kelly, because I just love that shape.
Quote by mcw00t
Ugh, no, they're not.

There are different models, and the model he's looking at is not the same model you had. The pickups on the guitar he's looking at are very good, where the guitar you had, is a lower end one (I think) and the pickups on it would have been weak.

few phails in there bud. Its the new version of the same guitar tard.
I would not buy a non MIJ Ibanez after the horrible experience I had with crappy build quality and QC. Jackson have some of the best quality out there. The trem on the Ibanez is better, but will be harder/more expensive to fix, and you'll be in a pickle when it goes. I would go the Jackson. Better quality, easy to use and maintain trem system, and it already comes with good pickups.

BTW, at the person who said they tried one and found it stiff, I imagine that was more of a setup issue then trem issue.
Ok, I was just looking and I realized that I forgot about the RG series. What about those? Would that be better than the S series or worse? Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Ibanez.
I'd go for the Jackson. The JB/Jazz is a very versatile pup combo and alder is a great bodywood. Quality should be good too, since it's made in Japan (just like the Ibanez). And it's got 24 frets! I'd hate to have a 22 fretter, personally. The trem is not quite as good as the one on the ibby though but it should be fine with a good setup.

edit: Also, it is more beautiful and sexy. And more elegant.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Hey sorry everybody but my parents already jumped the gun and bought me a PS3, haha.

Thanks for all your input. I'm still going to get a guitar soon, but I'm now looking at the Ibanez RG2550E and the Ibanez S470MDQX. I've taken the Jackson out because It seems like the Ibanez is better quality overall, except for just the pick-ups. I'll still try one out at the store anyway, because I might like the sound better. You never know.
The PS3 has virtually NO decent pickups available right now, and the hardware is kind of dodgy, but this will be rectified next year when Konami releases its fourth Solid Metal Pickup, and Sony's S Lisenced Gran Tremolo.
Quote by 12.Gauge
few phails in there bud. Its the new version of the same guitar tard.

Oh man...I'm not even gunna bother with you.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Sn^ke
The PS3 has virtually NO decent pickups available right now, and the hardware is kind of dodgy, but this will be rectified next year when Konami releases its fourth Solid Metal Pickup, and Sony's S Lisenced Gran Tremolo.

Haha, well done.

I would have preferred a guitar, but a PS3 is nice too, haha. I personally like the SOCOM series, so that'll be a good one for next year. Ohh wait... this is a guitar board, haha.