Page 1 of 3
So I hear people talk a lot about "playing with emotion". I've never really quite understood this. How do you put emotion into your playing? How does someone play a Bb with more 'emotion" than someone else? I understand emotion being produced by music, it happens to me all the time, but I don't understand music being produced by emotion.

Can someone please enlighten me?
Music is not produced by emotion, emotion is produced by music, you had it right.
i think understand what you mean with music creates emotion but that music was created with some emotion
so you basically trasmit that emotion to people who listen to your music
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
the blues is a great example of playing with emotion.
look at SRV, he always played a slow blues with more soul and feel than a room full of guitarists. the trick is to feel what you're playing. frankly, it's easier to play good songs with emotion (eg SRV )than songs without much emotion involved (eg metal )

listen to 'riviera paradise'. it's full of soul, feel and emotion. it came straight from the heart and you can feel and hear it.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Dec 12, 2007,
it's feeling what you're playing. if you're sitting there, playing like "whatever", you're just playing. if you're sitting there, visualising, moving, dancing, crying, etc, you're playing with emotion. that's basically it.
Quote by The red Strat.
look at SRV, he always played a slow blues with more soul and feel than a room full of guitarists. the trick is to feel what you're playing. frankly, it's easier to play good songs with emotion (eg SRV )than songs without much emotion involved (eg metal )

listen to 'riviera paradise'. it's full of soul, feel and emotion. it came straight from the heart and you can feel and hear it.

Metal often has emotion. It's called anger.

you think this because you understand blues but not metal.
The person playing or writing the song can try to evoke a certain an emotion, but emotion does not directly turn into music.
and also remember sadness is not the only emotion.
Basicly when you feel all the stuff you're playing with your whole heart.

Doesn't matter if you are shredding at 42 NPS or playing two notes per bar , if you put your feelings into it , it will sound great.

Listen to some Jazz players.
Look how they manage to play loads of shred while it still sounds pretty damn emotional.
Quote by The red Strat.

Pffft, it's all subjective. I think that blues and metal are both recycled garbage.

Music has many variables: Dynamics, orchestration, voicing, phrasing, melody (or lack thereof), rhythm and articulation. Think about all of these things when composing and performing music. If you do, nobody can ever say you play without 'emotion.'

FYI, emotion to most bedroom guitar players is achieved from light overdrive and minor pentatonic scales.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
If you are putting energy into your playing, that's emotion. Canon Rock is a great song for exemplifying the difference because you can hear the difference between someone who is tryign and someone who isn't. I don't know, I guess it's just how you put the notes together and add bends and vibrato and stuff.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by Spamwise
So I hear people talk a lot about "playing with emotion". I've never really quite understood this. How do you put emotion into your playing? How does someone play a Bb with more 'emotion" than someone else? I understand emotion being produced by music, it happens to me all the time, but I don't understand music being produced by emotion.

Can someone please enlighten me?

You can talk with emotion right? same thing. emotion is definately part of creating music. You wouldnt be able to get emotion from music, if the artist didnt create that music with emotion in the 1st place. its not something you really practice... just like communicating with words, you just do it. When your upset you might yell.... the emotion triggers that yelling. Its no different in music. just a different medium.
shred is gaudy music
FYI, emotion to most bedroom guitar players is achieved from light overdrive and minor pentatonic scales.

if I wasn't lazy as hell, I would sig that.
Not because it's funny, but it's true, even though I'm a "bedroom guitar player" and I don't think that.
Play a note, with no vibrato or anything at all... then play a note with a very very fast short vibrato, then play that same note with a slower, wider vibrato.. this is just one way emotion can be created, MOST of it is the music itself, but some of it can also come from how it is played.
Quote by Muphin

Haha, well put.
IF YOU ENJOY CREATING MUSIC, YOU ARE PLAYING WITH EMOTION.

sorry for yelling

/thread
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
just another note to the TS, the act of playing a Bb will not convey any emotion... it is the building blocks of intervals between lots of notes that create the emotion.

as everybody has said, it's very subjective.... some people like the type of emotion created by thrash, i couldnt ever imagine this and just want to turn it off!!!
To quote Louis Armstrong (different context but it works):

"If you gotta ask you ain't never gonna get it"

The best I can do is to say it is the difference between playing notes and playing music, between moving around and dancing.

An instrument is a conduit - a path from within you, transferring your basest feelings, fears, and thoughts into a real form (vibration). We practice technique because it so often limits this conduit like an asthmatic airway. There are, however, many other things that can come in the way of this; the chiefest being a certain shyness, one bearing no link to the outer intro or extra - version we show to others in our words and actions. Although it may be hard to swallow, there are some that simply have more intense things held in their pool to let out - I find that in particular recovering heroin addicts tend to have a very powerful voice in a subtle, touching way. However you shouldn't let this deter you - we are limited in releasing our expression so much by other factors that anyone with enough practice and playing can create truly uplifting music.
Quote by ouchies
Play a note, with no vibrato or anything at all... then play a note with a very very fast short vibrato, then play that same note with a slower, wider vibrato.. this is just one way emotion can be created, MOST of it is the music itself, but some of it can also come from how it is played.

The emotion comes from the player. Techniques, like vibrato are what the artist employs to convey that emotion. If the player is devoid of emotion, no technique or theoretical device will create the emotion for them.

On a side note, its interesting how many people have cynical attitudes and ignorant opinions about the subject. I mean emotion comes from distortion and pentatonic scales??? I dont mean to be a jerk, but thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
The emotion comes from the player. Techniques, like vibrato are what the artist employs to convey that emotion. If the player is devoid of emotion, no technique or theoretical device will create the emotion for them.

On a side note, its interesting how many people have cynical attitudes and ignorant opinions about the subject. I mean emotion comes from distortion and pentatonic scales??? I dont mean to be a jerk, but thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

yes that was what i was trying to say ;], that emotion can come from the player too
Quote by Nick_
To quote Louis Armstrong (different context but it works):

"If you gotta ask you ain't never gonna get it"

The best I can do is to say it is the difference between playing notes and playing music, between moving around and dancing.

An instrument is a conduit - a path from within you, transferring your basest feelings, fears, and thoughts into a real form (vibration). We practice technique because it so often limits this conduit like an asthmatic airway. There are, however, many other things that can come in the way of this; the chiefest being a certain shyness, one bearing no link to the outer intro or extra - version we show to others in our words and actions. Although it may be hard to swallow, there are some that simply have more intense things held in their pool to let out - I find that in particular recovering heroin addicts tend to have a very powerful voice in a subtle, touching way. However you shouldn't let this deter you - we are limited in releasing our expression so much by other factors that anyone with enough practice and playing can create truly uplifting music.

Nice. Intelligent thoughtful answer.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by The red Strat.

Right on
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

I may have interpreted his comment wrong, but I believe he was being sarcastic.
there are 2 ways of emotional playing, putting emotion into 1 note, that one's the hardest, and there's feel in a long line (maybe played fast) the latter one is crusially dependend on dynamics, you can make the line grow louder as you flow through it, or let it get softer, you can emphasize the accents more, soften them, add ones, take them away, etc. you might or might not expect that the true determination of the feel lies at the end, the pronounciation of the last couple of notes, often a little slower, just to give it a hook (you'll hear this in pretty much every soft vai song)

ah, and then the 1 note feel.. it can be achieved through subtle effects like vibrato, remember bb king's one? i remember trying to emulate it for weeks, long time ago.. after i gave that up, i found the key, messing around, every dynamical influence of the pick sounds different with every player, and you've got to find your own ways..
but it's harder to do so without those effects.. it's an ellusive thing really, i've never understood it's nature, i guess it's like one persons fingers sounding different than another one's, even though it's through the same guitar/amp/whatever.. and then there are those lovely dynamics, surely you'll know that digging deeper generally gives a more agressive sound than just a touch..

i''ve developped my own little extra techniques for this, and i suggest you find your own, but for me the key lay in singing in you head, and playing what you sing (in your head) that way your fingers know where they're going, and how loud to play it, so you can spend extra attention on the dynamics.. and you'll subconsiously remember how you got that sound, how you got that one, etc. in those long hours of messing around.. it helps to over-react the dynamics in your head..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Muphin
Pffft, it's all subjective. I think that blues and metal are both recycled garbage.

you lost mad respect from me from this statement man. ideally all music is recycled, when was the last time there was a real intuitive breakthrough that was a different form of music, not just different styles/sounds/ethnicities mixed together? since its inception music has slowly evolved and formed differently. classical music slowly branched off into so many different forms that had everything done to them over time that now we have jazz, rock, metal, blues, pop, country, r&b, dance/electronic music all this stuff spawned essentially from classical music (and there will be people that say "no, blues came from africa and beating on drums" i disagree, many old classical pieces had a bluesy/jazzy feel to them. but either way, its "old" music)
Quote by that1l)ude
if I wasn't lazy as hell, I would sig that.
Not because it's funny, but it's true, even though I'm a "bedroom guitar player" and I don't think that.

it is sadly true, lol, although there definitely isn't anything bad with pentatonics.

i definitely agree with the posts here (except with metal lacking emotion), but it still seems like music creating emotion. I'm not really sure how to say what i'm thinking. hopefully later I'll figure it out.
Quote by Spamwise
it is sadly true, lol, although there definitely isn't anything bad with pentatonics.

i definitely agree with the posts here (except with metal lacking emotion), but it still seems like music creating emotion. I'm not really sure how to say what i'm thinking. hopefully later I'll figure it out.

Im not sure how you get that music creates emotion. WE create music.... so it has to come from us in the 1st place.
shred is gaudy music
Music can simulate emotion, and sometimes cause people to feel the emotion emited by the music.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Im not sure how you get that music creates emotion. WE create music.... so it has to come from us in the 1st place.

yeah that's true..i guess for those of us who really love guitar, the guitar is an extension of ourself.
Quote by Spamwise
yeah that's true..i guess for those of us who really love guitar, the guitar is an extension of ourself.

Exactly.
shred is gaudy music
I don't feel emotional connection with SRV, he played with his mouth open.. that doesn't mean he used emotion in his playing. Emotion is stage performence, and a feeling you can get while listening to music, not something you can include in your playing
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Emotion is stage performence, and a feeling you can get while listening to music, not something you can include in your playing

Well, with that mindset you certainly won't be able to.
i've had alot of people tell me, man.. you play the guitar with so much feeling, I just kind of look at them like.. thanks? I'm playing notes, while I might be pasionate about my music.. "soul" or "emotion" is judged on your tone, facial expression, and climatic bends.
depends on the genre....

electronica has love...
country has depression..(and love)
metal has anger...
blues has, well, the blues...
and jazz is happiness and getting high.

so there you have it
Check out my music, if you please.
meh, blues can be happy or sad, along with country, metal, jazz, and electronica.. i dont know what you're getting at
Quote by GuitarHeroin
But the moajority of songs from those generes are as stated.

I think people need to stop being ignorant.

Emotion is subjective to the listener. It doesn't matter how you feel when you play it, in the end the listener seems to decide how much emotion goes into it, as evidenced by the majority of UG.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
I think people need to stop being ignorant.

Emotion is subjective to the listener. It doesn't matter how you feel when you play it, in the end the listener seems to decide how much emotion goes into it, as evidenced by the majority of UG.

Correct it is the listeners position to decide how the music should be interpreted by them, but I'm not talking about the listener.

The writer is the one who determines what the song is truely relateing to. And for some people, the goal of writeing any song with any emotion, is to express it to the listener, so they feel it too.
Quote by GuitaristXakk
depends on the genre....

electronica has love...
country has depression..(and love)
metal has anger...
blues has, well, the blues...
and jazz is happiness and getting high.

so there you have it

Jazz can also be the most angry or depressing music youve ever heard
Any genere of music can express any emotion. I don't think it's very artistic or creative to limit emotions to different generes.
Page 1 of 3