There are tons of composers who often write their music mainly to impress the audience with absurdly challenging material. Such as:

Metal/Rock musicians: I have listened to Metal, and I find that often times the composition seems designed to impress the crowd with speed. Sometimes I think it can sound very good, yet at times I think it sounds like garbage cans rolling in the streets. I find that musicians like The Allman Brothers Band or Joe Satriani (who I really don't care for) seem a bit better at restricting their speed. I can't say the same for musicians like Malmsteen.

Paganini: The famous Classical violinist. I've said this before; I think he is a great violinist, but with so many of his compositions, I get a vibe that it was written mainly for showing of. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZmc0fKfgWs

I'm very picky about Paganini. I've tried to listen to him. There are only about 2-3 compositions I like by him.

Franz Liszt: He is one of my favorite composers, but I still sometimes get annoyed by how sometimes he will write something absurdly difficult in a composition. I think he could restrict himself good, but early in his career he had a fascination with mainly flaunting his capabilities.

What are your thoughts on composers who write much of their music to show off? Are there any musicians you think do this? I personally think that when a composer is writing material, his main objective should be that "it should sound good, and if it's difficult to play, then so be it". Rather than, "it should sound difficult, while I try to make it sound good".

But to be honest, I haven't given this topic that much thought, so my opinions can easily change.
I get what you're saying.

I pretty much get those vibes from most Neo-Classical guitarist.

I don't care what anyone thinks - Malmsteen is overrated and his stuff bores the crap out of me.
I don't know anyone who can write show off pieces that impress me.

There's some good blokes out there, but these guys come up with pompous yet obvious things.

It's hard to describe, but they write what they were taught to write, in order to make it nessecarily complex.

If you write something then develop it, it's not crap with maple syrup on top, it's bona fide genius pancakes.
Sometimes the composer wants a challenge.

But sometimes less is more.

Depends what works for the composer.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I think there are many songs by dream theater that sound like this.
Master musicians, all of them, and that tends to show.
GOD, Madcap, you are SUCH an arrogant elitist asshole who thinks he's better than everyone cause he types like a smarty pants, and talks about classical music instead of metal. AAAAAAAAAAAH! I just wanted to get it out of the way, because someone always has to say it in your threads for some reason..

Anyway, there are plenty of musicians who write their music to show off. But at the same time, a lot of it could also be to keep it from getting boring for themselves. Generally when I play something more complex it's because I don't want to bore myself. And I also like to give myself room to improvise.. Not because I care what the people listening think, but because my fingers will get bored playing a song that is just really easy. But at the same time, I will write simple parts as well.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i get bored by a lot of shred. first its like "oh wow that person is really good" then it is like "huh. this is kinda dull... but still fast!" then "ok time for some ballads."
It depends. Sometimes a musician will write something really complicated so as not to bore the audience. Instrumental music is an example.
Sometimes nailing a complicated part is just plain fun.
Musicians could write fast or difficult pieces to maintain their originality. Wouldnt you like to be un-copyable?
And sometimes it just fits the music.

But there are some artists who do it just to show off and if it doesnt fit the composition, the music suffers.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't know anyone who can write show off pieces that impress me.

There's some good blokes out there, but these guys come up with pompous yet obvious things.

It's hard to describe, but they write what they were taught to write, in order to make it nessecarily complex.

If you write something then develop it, it's not crap with maple syrup on top, it's bona fide genius pancakes.

If you wrote a show off piece, however, that would be like sex.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
I wouldn't say that exercising your technical ability to play is "showing off". I've never seen a composer blantantly "one-up" another. I love Paganini - even though he's a fucking douchebag for writing that crap that no one else on the face of the earth can imagine how to play (except for a handful).

I don't see anything wrong with a musician composing a difficult piece. It's a personal accomplishment for that composer - not a "Haha - you can't do that and I can".
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666

But sometimes less is more.

Depends what works for the composer.

+1

If a piece sounds "showy offy" it must been pretty darn hard to compose, as long as the composition still sounds good, who cares if the composers trying to show off or not?
I think that the majority of those composer purposely composed pieces that were near-impossibe to play simply beacuse they knew that perfectionist musicians would forever be driven crazy.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
i like hard stuff. And i loved that caprice btw. As long as it sounds good i like it, and if the composer wants to make it difficult than he can.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Well of course technicality fits some songs but should be restricted if it doesn't do the song any good. I think the best example of this is "Ministry of Lost Souls" by Dream Theater. That song is so intense until the big instrumental in the middle that doesn't even fit the song. For that song I wish they would've left that out and like made it at least just an instrumental but not ruin a perfectly good song with it.
If it makes the composer happy then so be it, I ain't going to take that away from them.

What seems like mindless wank to some may sound like a masterpiece to another.
If people enjoy it what makes it a lesser of a composition?
hell, tis still good music so who cares why theyre writing it. youll never get a song with alot of emotion and personal feeling this way, but if your looking for something to jam to that will be a bit of a challenge, then this is a good thing. otherwise i know what you mean.

i find for guitarists like john petrucci, he plays very challenging music, but at the same time makes it at least SEEM like hes putting emotion into it, malmsteen however (even though i enjoy his music) has an inability to turn his speed down. even on ballads he plays rediculously fast sweeps and arpeggios, and sort of ruins the song.
i heard Paganini did this on purpose not to show off but to expand the limits of the violin i think thats great there should be no limit to an instrument. certainly no one here will bash Shawn lane for his amazing guitar compositions
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666

Writing a composition that is more technically challenging is not the actual challenge of composition.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Writing a composition that is more technically challenging is not the actual challenge of composition.

it adds a hell of alot more to the challenge however, i think youll agree.
Bach wrote the harpsichord part in the 5th movement of the Brandenburg with the intent of "showing off" his harpsichord playing to the Duke of Brandenburg to get hired. Need less to say, he got the job. That peice has an insane harpsichord cadenza.
12 fret fury
Quote by pimpslap1236
it adds a hell of alot more to the challenge however, i think youll agree.

No it doesn't. It has almost no bearing on the actual aspect of composition.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think musicians should try to create music to impress but not in the way that you mean. You're talking about music that shows off speed but how about showing off composition skills? I think whenever someone creates or tries to create an interesting/original theme or piece they do try to impress whether or not speed and virtuosity is involved. How boring would music be if no one was ambitious with their writing?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Dec 12, 2007,
Quote by buckethead_jr
If it makes the composer happy then so be it, I ain't going to take that away from them.

What seems like mindless wank to some may sound like a masterpiece to another.
If people enjoy it what makes it a lesser of a composition?

Shh, taste is not relevant here.

People who like Malmsteen are fags, obviously. OBVIOUSLY!

FABULOUSLY!
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Quote by Punk Poser
Bach wrote the harpsichord part in the 5th movement of the Brandenburg with the intent of "showing off" his harpsichord playing to the Duke of Brandenburg to get hired. Need less to say, he got the job. That peice has an insane harpsichord cadenza.
But that wasn't his main objective with the majority of his compositions. That was just one piece out of the thousands he wrote.