g,day

Well, i am going to be purchasing a marshall dsl 50 head, its my first valve amp, i have heard that the valves should be heated up for a few minutes or somthing, and i was wondering why this is? and what happens if you dont and you just turn it on and go? is it bad for the amplifier? or is it bad for the temporary sound? and any other valve stuff...

thanks,
bad for the tube's lifespan, but not Total Murder usually.

put it on standby for 30 seconds or so then go and work the volume up.

i would just turn the amp on first and by the time i make sure i have a pick, the guitar over my back, and cables plugged into everything it's been about long enough. just dont rush it
Yeah, the best way is to hook up your speakers to you head (not applicable if it's a combo) then go and plug in your guitar, effects etc... once you've got all that set up you should be fine for warmed up tubes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you.....just do lol
you leave the amp on standby for a minute or two before you switch it off standby, its like warming up before going running i guess....lol
and you leave it on standby a min or so before you turn it off to allow the valves to cool.
When you switch on and off the power switch is the time when most wear is done to theh valves. So if you just turned it on and played, or just flicked off the off switch without say a 'grace' period, your valves wont be lasting as long as you would think.
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Quote by boardsofcanada

i would just turn the amp on first and by the time i make sure i have a pick, the guitar over my back, and cables plugged into everything it's been about long enough. just dont rush it

+1

Turn the power on, but don't turn standby on (or is it off??? keep it turned so that teh amp wouldn't be making noise)

Reasoning, if you're interested:

Tubes have filaments inside, much like your toaster. They are required to be hot for the tube to work correctly. If you actually try putting hgih voltage through the tube w/ the filaments cold, you can wreck the tubes over time.

When you turn the power on, it turns on the filaments. When you turn the standby on (to "run", whatever), you're turning that high voltage so a signal can go through.

Turning power on and waiting awhile gives those filaments time to warm up. Typical times range from 5-15 seconds for the filaments to heat up enough. Do it like it's stated above, and you'll be fine.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial