(does this belong in musician talk?)

i want to learn piano, but i dont know how hard its going to be for me to learn... there is really noone around here to teach me, so i may teach myself, or have a friend help me with it...
anyone play piano?... got advice?
no i dont play piano, however i have attempted to several times. Being a guitarist, i find it really hard to make my hands independent of each other. But i think i can do it if i had the time and patience.
How would a person with only 5 fingers on each hand play something with that many hands<< lol keys. Same ****ing thing.??
I wanna learn how to play piano too.

Learn Music Theory, that'll help ALOT.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
It depends on what you want to learn. If you want to learn contemporary pop style piano, you can learn it by yourself. If you want to learn classical or jazz piano, study with a teacher.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I don't know.

I taught my self, and it's not that hard. If you know the keys, and have a basic understanding of how to read music it's really easy. I practice off and on, and I'm not bad.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by voteforpedro36
How would a person with only 5 fingers on each hand play something with that many hands<< lol keys. Same ****ing thing.??

huh? i dont get it...
I learned piano when I was like 4..
and HATED it.. so I quitted.. but
then, I tried it again, and liked
it but wasn't willing to pay lessons
for that (I was still paying my guitar by then)
so, I think it is not that hard,
at the beggining. and you
have to really love it--- well, it didn't
work for me, but maybe it will for you

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
my mum teaches piano. it really is best to get lessons, but tis possible to teach yourself. it's not that hard, i don't think, but i've been around pianos all my life, so i can't really say. it's apparently not that easy, but i wouldn't know.

it really is a beautiful instrument, though. good luck with it.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by TonyRandall
yeah,, prolly jazz.. i wanna be good.

If you want to learn jazz, at least get a teacher/tutor for music theory with an emphasis on jazz harmonic structures. Many jazz pianists don't actually have the best physical techniques or postures, but that is because they don't need it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you wannabe good , get lessons. I'm good enough to show off, and jam, and write songs with guitar and such, but I'm by no means a good player.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by voteforpedro36

are you on drugs?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by voteforpedro36

How would a person with only five fingers on one hand play something with that many frets?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Buy some books.

I used the 4 in the "Complete keyboard player" series. They pretty much taught me how to read music when I was a kid, and how to play to a certain level.
Now I just play songs for the fun of it, and get better on my own.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-COMPLETE-KEYBOARD-PLAYER-BOOK-1_W0QQitemZ350005632918QQihZ022QQcategoryZ31212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Few people get really good unless they start in their early teens at latest. Still, never too late to learn some pieces you like. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for improvising jazz, unless you're going to set the bar quite low.

The best you can if you want to be self-taught is to learn to read notes - slowly at first. Then find the notation for a piece you like, read the notes and learn the piece (slowly), and eventually you'll know how to play all of it, and hopefully learned some things on the way. You should, of course, start by trying to find some easy pieces.
I'm a communist. Really.
I play piano/keyboards in my band.

If you're looking for chords and whatnot, it'll be easy.

But if you're trying to do Tchaikovsky or something, it'll get difficult.
My AP Music Theory teacher told me that I should probably start taking piano lessons, as a great deal of college music programs require you to take lessons anyway. But as for helping you with piano, I can't help you much there. All I can say is that if you want to teach yourself, learn to read both treble and bass clefs, learn at least rudimentary theory, and learn the pattern of notes on the keyboard. Then, learn songs. Alternatively, you could get a book on it, as there are quite a few.

EDIT: Wait, you want to learn jazz!? Although many jazz pianists (Monk was a good example) were self-taught, almost all jazz pianists, scratch that, nearly all jazz musicians these days have had years of formal instruction. I started to teach myself jazz guitar a month or two ago, and it's really, really tough. I'm trying to find a teacher right now, actually. Anyway, to sum it up, get lessons if you want to play jazz, or, alternatively, classical.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Dec 12, 2007,
Quote by Raziel2p
Still, never too late to learn some pieces you like. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for improvising jazz, unless you're going to set the bar quite low.

That is not true. Wes Montgomery started learning the guitar in his early 20s, and he ended up being the icon of jazz guitar.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Don't learn by yourself. This could easily happen:

Impractical and bad technique

Trying to learn music that is too skilled can cause problms.

If you are serious about it, I recommend a competent teacher.
Quote by Xiaoxi
That is not true. Wes Montgomery started learning the guitar in his early 20s, and he ended up being the icon of jazz guitar.

That's guitar, not piano. Anyhow, I'm just stating unofficial statistics.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Although that is basically true (I thought it was 19), the Jazz piano is more difficult to improvise on. I rarely hear Jazz guitarists improvising more than single lines during solos. The piano is a much more demanding instrument. I don't think Montgomery's improvisation skills were quite as remarkable as Thelonious Monk's.
Quote by Raziel2p
That's guitar, not piano. Anyhow, I'm just stating unofficial statistics.

Regardless, jazz isn't strict in its technical rigor.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The Madcap
\I don't think Montgomery's improvisation skills were quite as remarkable as Thelonious Monk's.

That isn't a quantifiable measure of skills.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The Madcap
Although that is basically true (I thought it was 19), the Jazz piano is more difficult to improvise on. I rarely hear Jazz guitarists improvising more than single lines during solos. The piano is a much more demanding instrument. I don't think Montgomery's improvisation skills were quite as remarkable as Thelonious Monk's.

I'm not sure about that. Montgomery's improv skills were legendary, as were Monk's. They were both self-taught, too.
Quote by Xiaoxi
That isn't a quantifiable measure of skills.
Love can't be quantified. I guess that means Paul McCartney loved M&M's as much as he did Linda McCartney.

Mozart once improvised a classical piece on an organ for someone. But then again, Mozart (a child prodigy) wasn't much better of an improviser than a 14-year-old guitarist who can improvise pentatonic single lines on his Epiphone.