Page 1 of 2
Initial Note:

This is a shortened version of an essay I published in three newspapers.
I submitted this, but it was rejected as an article, but I still want this message to be heard (heard being in its metaphorical sense).

Enjoy,

- Josh S, professional musician

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Downloading Music: The Murderer of the Music Industry

Downloading music onto a computer may seem like it's harmless, but it's costing the music industry in America hundreds of millions of dollars every year.

Many believe that it helps artists become known, but what they don't know is that downloading can cost bands and companies tens of thousands of dollars.

According to TNS Intersearch, '59% of adults do not think that downloading music from the internet is wrong’ and they would "probably do it [download music].'

One such example of downloading music hurting bands is seen with the album Smash, by Californian punk band The Offspring. ‘Smash’ was the most downloaded album of 1994. They revealed on Planet Rock Profiles, '...people using...Napster and stuff like that...cost us about a hundred grand (each) with Smash.'.

In Canada, 57% of children aged between 9-17 said that downloading music was what they like to do most when on the internet.

From 2000 to 20002, the amount of CDs shipping out of the country fell by well over 10%, which, while sounding small, is staggering - it amounts to approximately 1.08 billion CDs.

Downloading music and music piracy not only affects the economy, but it is against the law.

Bands such as the illustrious Silverchair have been forced to put special kinds of 'locks' on their CDs to stop people from ripping the songs onto their computer and putting them onto the internet.

Authorities state they are doing their best enforcing this law.
People being sued over downloading music is almost commonplace nowadays, with bands and companies alike arraigning regular people for downloading thousands of dollars worth of music, such as one man in Augusta who was sued $750 for each song he had downloaded.

According to the AAIDS database, the two biggest arguments given by 12-20 year olds were:

1. That artists already make millions of dollars, so downloading a few songs wouldn’t possibly hurt them.

2. That music companies have millions of dollars, and there’s no way something like downloading a CD could possibly affect them.

My response to these statements are:

1. The artists only make millions of dollars because of the (now dwindling) number of people who buy their CDs. Artists are often not that wealthy, and those who are have often been around for well over a decade, and have had other sources of income, such as going on tours and advertising/television deals.

2. The music companies spend millions of dollars promoting those on this label. Also, they rely on the reputation of their artists to earn money, which often leads to many bands not making it due to insufficient funds either with their label or within their band.

Another good example of how internet downloading deeply affected a band is seen in the well known Armenian-American rock band, System of a Down. The story of their 2002 album, ‘Steal This Album!’, is often a major subject with those debating internet downloading.

After the release of their 2001 album, Toxicity, many of the songs intended for their next album were leaked onto the internet. Ergo, in comparison with their other albums, ‘Steal This Album!’ sold pitifully.

“‘Steal This Album!’ was the lowest rating album that we has [sic] ever made." stated their drummer, John Dolmayan, in an interview. The name itself is a reference to how people wait until an album is released, only to download the entire album via the internet.

These people not only download said albums for free, but many of them are not aware they are actually breaking a law - a real law, with, as seen with the man from Augusta, real consequences. These people must wake up; wake up and know the damage they are doing to the companies and artists who bring them the music they love to listen to.
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Initial Note:From 2000 to 20002QUOTE]
u screwed up there

but yeah music shoudnt be for the money
it should be for the feeling of making music people like

honestly i would be fine with living in the same house i am in today and still be considered one of the GREATS

like all the music i make is made with one master track and let people download it

and i make money off my band through our shows

the music should be free
and musicians sgould live with that
It's not for the money, this is mainly about new bands...

...okay, hypothetical situation.

You're in a band and you all just spent all your money on recording your songs.

Then all your songs for your album are on the internet.

It may not matter too much for many bands, but it does for many others.
Musicians aren't all millionaires.
Last edited by MentalityBand at Dec 12, 2007,
yeah i totally agree with you. If you like a band, what is wrong with dishing out less than $20? To me, cds are some of the greatest bargains out there. Although they might not cost much to produce, a new release is only like $15 CDN which, IMO, is not a lot if yo enjoy listening to it and will keep for a long time. Good article thingie.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Do you work for a record label? I've seen studies that say the exact opposite, including big artists & indie artists coming out and saying that they personally are not hurt by downloading. Hell, many consider it free promotion. Its not the bands (well... minus KISS... Gene Simmons likes his money) its the labels. Period. Oh, and maybe, just maybe, people didn't like the SOAD album? Hmm? Ever think people aren't buying CDs because the music put out by major labels sucks? Hmm?

BTW, how professional do you claim to be? Are you in a national act? Are you actually effected by this? Do you have a major label contract? Hell, do you put out music people would want to even buy, let alone pirate?

If any papers published this, they're idiots. And so are you.

By the way, your typing and grammar skills suck.

PS: Indie sales are up. I wonder why...

PPS: This shouldn't get posted... its beyond bad, its total crap and highly biased. At least show REAL evidence. 2000-2002 was recession for christs sake.

</flame>
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
i just wanna say making music shouldnt be about money

i do it because i like the feeling that people like to listen to the music i make
not because they smother me with cash
You seem like you did a lot of research but I think you missed some very important facts.

Artists hardly make money from records. royalties usually range from 9 to 15 percent. The record companies pretty much keep the rest. Obviously they do spend a lot of money promoting the bands an things like that, but still the amount of money they make off artists is unacceptable for the services they provide.

The reason people download is because records are so overpriced. Yes you said the top reasons are:

"1. That artists already make millions of dollars, so downloading a few songs wouldn’t possibly hurt them.

2. That music companies have millions of dollars, and there’s no way something like downloading a CD could possibly affect them."

Well obviously this wouldnt even be a factor if records were reasonably priced. The truth is that people dont have money for records, I know I dont. Im a student and on my budget I can basically afford, food and bills, after that Ive got 100 dollars to spend. 100 dollars in a month. I buy a couple of records a month but i listen to about 8 hours of music a day, so you do the math.
I have about 400 albums, if the average cd is $20 - $25 then I'd have to pay $8000 - $10,000. If I had to buy my music I would never had found 90% of the bands I love and I probably wouldn't be into guitar either. Not to mention the bullshit I would have to go through to find all the albums that you wont find in an average music shop which means I would have to buy online and would have to pay postage as well.

honestly i would be fine with living in the same house i am in today and still be considered one of the GREATS
Agreed

I hate people who shout out how bad downloading music is when they only buy 5 or so best of albums a year (not directed at OP, just throwing it out there).

Just a question though, how many musicians have you talked to who said "Well I was planning on recording an album but I decided that I wouldn't make much money due to people downloading". I don't know about you but I like the idea of a nobody being able to broadcast his music to heaps of people via youtube and other sites.
Last edited by shoted at Dec 12, 2007,
+1 to rnelson, shoted and the rest. True-er words never were spoken.
Artistes make nuts from selling CDs. The labels are the ones getting all flustered because money's flowing out of their fat, pig-ish fingers.

You mentioned the situation of a new band not being able to sell albums etc and not making money. Music broadcasting through Internet makes sure that the band actually even gets to sell albums if they're any good.

And as rnelson said, records are MASSIVELY overpriced. A CD in Malaysia costs roughly RM45, which is roughly $13 in US dollars. The artistes themselves get a TINY percentage of this money. The vast majority of it trickles into the bank accounts of greedy, tone-deaf utilitarians who use other people's talents to make themselves rich.
And for that reason, your articles falls flat. Heck, it falls as flat as an article can. Go ahead, throw every single downloader in the world to jail. See how the music industry survives then. =)
Good day.
linkinwayne

Wow, you just made my day, now i know what to say next time this topic comes up.

My opinion if it matters:

- Music downloading is helping the smaller bands get heard and known.

- The bigger bands are probably profiting more from endorcements, Tshirts, Shows ... blah blah than they are from the cd sales.

the music industry isn't only about the music.. its bout the the band also, the pixies are probably the only band that got it right without the image.

anyway.. i suck at forums, so im gonna leave now.

peace out
Fuh. That's a mighty nice compliment. I'll sig that cos it makes me sound cool. XD

And yeah. +1 to all ur comments.
Ah. I need to dig out an old copy of MusicWeek, there's a good arguement against the 'fact' that downloading music destroys the music industry.

Great article though ...

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

something else here....

If you are famous enough for many people to download your music ( like 1000s of people ), then you must be making it big enough to survive like the rest of us..

musicians don't have to be millionaires .
Look at olympic athletes, they barely make anything and only a few of them are famous... and we all know how difficult it is to make it to the olymics... just as an example...
if you compare that to the millions of famous people in bands that are earning a butt load and have people recognizing them and screaming there names then you will see that famous musicians are not that hard done by.

Downloading helps spead the music faster... i would only know 20% of the bands i know now if it wern't for the internet and downloading.,

Sorry to say it but its true,l and by hearing them online or getting there mp3s i heard if i like them or not, and the ones i did like i bought there merch and went to there shows paying a cover charge, helping them benefit.

My spelling sucks.. sorry
True musicians don't do it for the money... I read somewhere that downloading songs via Bittorrent/Limewire ect. only effects the sales by a tenth of a percent... Also most people who download songs illegally wouldn't actually buy the song if they couldn't download it free.

I think that it's like free advertising, because they get more listeners and thus more concert-goers, and at concerts they are very likely to buy T-shirts and other appareal.

I also read somewhere that they are going to start in 2008 taping every concert and for an extra $10 when you buy the ticket it gives you a code that at the end of the concert you can download the concert you just listened to online.

Youtube probably does the most damage of all, no download required. The first day that Ozzy's Black Rain came out I found the entire thing on Youtube. Since people who visit Youtube often aren't the smartest people in the world (judging by the comments I've seen) and they would probably forget the songs they heard on there, but downloading you can remember because it actually takes a little work and you keep it, unlike Youtubers who just listen and forget.
F.T.W
For the Wanker
Last edited by Sore_Finger at Dec 19, 2007,
I do agree, downloading is basically stealing and we are doing labels away with alot of money[not bands...labels!].

I do think that its the easy excuse for the music industry to blame us. Has no-one actually thought that maybe the industry got greedy? Stores are asking for alot more money for a cd, as are labels and this is probably the main cause for downloading.

I've always said, if a band actually makes a solid album, alot of people will download some tracks and then buy it. I know for a fact i've literally downloaded album upon album by bands and gone out and actually bought the cd afterwards..i wouldn't of bought the cd had I not downloaded and tried out the bands first.

So i say this; it is not up to the music industry big wigs to blame the fans, the consumers for the disaster that is the music industy this century. I say, they should be concentrating more on lowering the prices on cds[and making sure that stores dont charge the high prices that they do] and making sure that bands release an album worth of GOOD material, rather than singles[which we all know is what bands are told to make].
I have no sympathy for the music industry whatsoever and their promotion machine. All it serves to do is take something that starts out very good and then they give you the same thing over and over and over. They get every band to look the same and sound the same and then pummel the airwaves with every inbred love-child of the originator until the even the originator becomes a ridiculous parody of itself. As the time goes on in any genre that is being forced up everyone's rear-ends, the pickings get more and more slim and shabby until what started out good is thoroughly destroyed and laughable. Take hair metal for example, or grunge, new wave, hell, even disco. It is no coincidence that there is no variety a few years into any evolutionary change that music undertakes. The music industry has no imagination. They only have a preferred package presented by suit-wearing wannabes who have no talent except preserving their own jobs - top to bottom. The music industry couldn't care less about talent. They care about moving product. They are the slash and burn strip miners of your ears and your brain.

The funny thing is, the music industry is obsolete. They know this. The internet is a promotion machine unlike any other. There are tools available to everyone virtually for free that eliminate the unfortunate need for a music industry. Those tools can put someone with talent or without around the globe without the 'industry' behind him or her instantly with a mere click of a mouse. Someone who wants it bad enough can expose themselves without aid if they invest some time putting their work out there in enough places. That person or persons can even generate artificial hype if they really want to get their thing going until it is in the ears of the world. It can be done. Believe it. It is a new world and it is being strangled by a walking dead music industry that sues children to get the sustenance their festering corpse needs to keep walking another day. I wait eagerly for the thud.

As for the artists, do I care if my favorite artist is a millionaire? Sorry, but I don't. I work hard and I am great at what I do and I will never be a millionaire. Is writing a great song better and more deserving of riches than me maintaining a great inventory? Who says it is? Is writing a great song deserving of my appreciation and my attending their shows? You bet! Just like everyone who does a great thing deserves appreciation for it. Does writing a great song mean that it is my responsibility that you be bestowed with mansions and Ferarris to wreck?

No. But, the writer of a great song is way more deserving than any salesman who tells me that I'm supposed to love what he's selling especially when his display is so small and narrow. The internet has turned the music industry into the likes of soothsayers and snake-oil salesmen. The internet has opened a mega-mall where a 7-11 once stood. The internet has the ability to forgo the force-feeding offered by the music industry. Where once I could only shout it out a window, I can now live by the words "I am mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore".

I have spoken.

I await the thud.
Last edited by Badorphan at Dec 22, 2007,
its not so much the opinion that i dislike here. Well, OK, i disagree on most of the points here, but thats fine, its an opinion piece.

Now, the thing wrong with it is that it has no structure, doesnt flow (due to the lack of structure) and barely goes near the other sides of the argument. Obviously you have done your research, but you need to research both sides and have a thorough understanding of the entire issue, not just one part of it. Without that it will never be a good essay.
Now, i could take you through the basic structure that oyu need for this kind of thing and give you some hints on organising your writing and making it flow. But thats probably best left to your english etacher and I'm tired. I'm guess that from your age your probably in year8? going into year9 next year? You'll start to learn mroe about this kind of stuff this year, but still not that much, year 10 is where you really start learning the good stuff about writing. Do english and Literature if your interested in reading/writing. It'll help with that stuff imensely
Work on your grammar, johnos. No offense. I agree with your constructive criticism but it does rather lose it's weight when you skimp on the grammar. And anyway, I doubt he's still reading this thread. Hmmm. I rather doubt he's in year 8 or 9 though.
It definitely does bring sales down.
People decide that they'll download music instead of buying it because they're too cheap to buy it.
I know I'd be extremely annoyed if I had spend all my time and funds making an album only to find that people were illegally downloading it off the internet instead of spending money like true fans.
People have to make a living. For musicians, they rely on people paying money to come to gigs and buying CDs. If people don't do that then they may struggle to provide, to put food to their mouth.
'Murderer of the Music Industry' is an under-statement. More like 'Annihilator.'
Kindly refer to my previous post. I believe I've effectively countered every point you made in the above post before you even typed it. 'too cheap to buy it'. Think before you type. Some people live on less than 1USD per day.
Quote by linkinwayne
Kindly refer to my previous post. I believe I've effectively countered every point you made in the above post before you even typed it. 'too cheap to buy it'. Think before you type. Some people live on less than 1USD per day.

Sorry my bad.
This article is way to skeptical and biased for me to really care. It's easy to say downloading in creases exposure and such. The Music industry needs to adapt if they want to survive in the digital age.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Work on your grammar, johnos.

I agree.. you kind of lose all credibility when you have the spelling of a 5 year old :p
I agree with it.

It isn't saying,

"We aren't getting our money so we can be rich slobs!"

It's saying,

"We aren't getting the money we need to survive!".

Look at Nirvana when they had no money; selling equipment to live.
I would like to quote myself again since I'm just so great, but my post was pretty long.

Read the first sentence. Heck, read the damn title.

It isn't saying any of the two things you typed, 1337 n00b. It's saying "the murderer of the music industry". And, for some reason, the music industry dying due to music download doesn't exactly come across as the most realistic claim. Once again, refer to what I have previously typed.
I hate to nitpick... but where'd you get that Dolmayan quote?

I'm not the biggest SOAD fan out there, but I definitely never heard/read him quoted as saying that.

The songs from STA! weren't meant for a future album, they were leftover songs from the Toxicity section. I have a feeling there are some facts in your article that need to be looked over again.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Quote by hightension01
btw i dint DL steal this album

i shoplifted it

i did the same thing and when my parents found out i was like "butt look they told me too!!"
Squier strat blue from 2000
Stagg Les paul
Dimarzzio bridge pickup

Ibanez bass

Boss DS-1 and super chorus
Amp
Fender 60 watt Deluxe
Voxx 120 watt Bass amp
Labels can easily make the money lost through records back by promting merchindise, increasing touring etc.
Think of it like this, if u have a job and u work so hard u can but don't be paid for doing it, if u made an album and nobody would buy it.
I see it like this: If u won't pay for the album, I don't see you as a fan, u got to sacrifice something for your fav music, and BTW an album isn't very expensive.
To a 15 year old kid with no job, how is $20 cheap?

I sometimes download songs from an artist, if I like them, I buy an album. One example is how I got into Joe Satriani - downloaded Time Machine, I loved it, then I went and bought 6 of his albums.

The labels need to realise that punishing people isn't going to make them seem like less bullies, and they need to find other ways to make money other than suing people. Oh wait, they do make lots of money already, don't they!
I doubt that the guys in System give a damn if you download their music or buy it, they make music because its what they like to do, its not for money or fame.
the guys in system do not care at all. they have broke up a while ago. also i have downloaded off of limewire, etc... and then i went out and bought the album!!! and anyways not as many artists are available as u guys are implying.... i cant find more then a few songs from my fav artists on any of these downloads programs... i treat it like a preview... thats why it would make sense to only release a few songs onto the internet, and if listeners like it they will go out and buy the album if not..... anyways (yes i kno thats describing myspace music, but still)

its only illegal if ur caught and punished.... whether by guilt or the authorities....
btw i had someone burn me an entire system cd and im not at all guilty.

also i dont have a job and im only 14 (hard to find a job up in Northern WI) and i still afford my fav music albums...... wait for xmas, birthday, or other excuses/holidays to get stuff. thats what i often do... but otherwise i have no income....

there's two sides to this and im not for or against either... there is no wrong or right... simply opinions and views. the whole world works this way for the most part.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I'm finding new ways to make the same mistakes,
putting my dreams onto paper and then folding them into planes,
then I let them go because when in Rome,
I set fire to what I love the most.

Last edited by GSD N3 at Jan 17, 2008,
Quote by limefan913
Do you work for a record label? I've seen studies that say the exact opposite, including big artists & indie artists coming out and saying that they personally are not hurt by downloading. Hell, many consider it free promotion. Its not the bands (well... minus KISS... Gene Simmons likes his money) its the labels. Period. Oh, and maybe, just maybe, people didn't like the SOAD album? Hmm? Ever think people aren't buying CDs because the music put out by major labels sucks? Hmm?

BTW, how professional do you claim to be? Are you in a national act? Are you actually effected by this? Do you have a major label contract? Hell, do you put out music people would want to even buy, let alone pirate?

If any papers published this, they're idiots. And so are you.

By the way, your typing and grammar skills suck.

PS: Indie sales are up. I wonder why...

PPS: This shouldn't get posted... its beyond bad, its total crap and highly biased. At least show REAL evidence. 2000-2002 was recession for christs sake.

</flame>

I completely agree. Who would publish such a thing?

Plus putting it up on UG would just be for the sake of **** stirring.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
isnt the UG Contribution forum for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM NOT putting down other people's work. this happens to be a very important topic and is a well done article.

Originally Posted by CoolDudeMorgasm
Originally Posted by limefan913
. . . If any papers published this, they're idiots. And so are you.

By the way, your typing and grammar skills suck. . . .

this is not constructive at all... ur just tearing someone down... how would YOU feel if someone said that about ur hard work, time, and effort... simply dont do it.... ur being a******s!
NOTE: i am not a mod.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

Quote by GSD N3
a well done article.

Are you kidding me?

This "article" is completely biased. Actually it's far from an article really it's basically his poorly written personal opinion of "Wah wah wah downloading music is bad, it's stealing, etc" with some alleged facts thrown into it without actually providing us evidence of the actual source and most quotes are from research done in 2000-2002 so it's obviously much out of date. This leads me to say although the article gives the impression of meticulous research fails to say anything meaningful about the subject what so ever. Music downloading could be seen as the saviour of the music industry.

I hate how every other industry has flourished thanks to the internet but the music industry lags behind and then bitches and moans because of it's own failures. It's beyond the point ridiculous.

So really for the sake of constructive criticism I suggest that you quote more recent research and provide other insights into the issue, not just your own.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Last edited by CoolDudeMorgasm at Jan 18, 2008,
This is how it works. So many people are out of jobs in the recording industry cause of downloaded music. But guess what? it's never going to die unless they get tight in the ass about it. I see it as, if you already own a bought piece of that music you have the freedom to download it. CDs, Cassettes, Vinyls, they're all ways of the music industry ****ing you over. CDs scratch unbelieveably easy, they won't last forever. Cassettes are easily destroyed with that thin tape, and vinyls get worse with each play. Downloading music is the way to say "**** your greed". I've bought every piece of music I own. If you bought a CD and it got so scratched you can't play it, why can't you download the music?
Who's going to stand up for the little man anymore with the biggest and best lawyers on the sides of the people doing the worst?
Last edited by Hitmanblack at Jan 19, 2008,
ok..... first of all....... u guys didnt read my first post in this thread....
its a double-sided (actually more than that) and theere is no right or wrong......
2nd: did any of u read this part in the original post:
Originally Posted by MentalityBand
Initial Note:

This is a shortened version of an essay I published in three newspapers.
I submitted this, but it was rejected as an article, but I still want this message to be heard (heard being in its metaphorical sense).

3rdly: i own many cd's totally over 100; They ALL work! u guys obviously cant take care of CD's, etc.......
4thly: yet again.... there is no need to swear because no matter what if it is used in the sense of swearing it is consider tearing people down........

TO REPEAT MYSELF AGAIN....: IT IS A MULTI-FACETED ISSUE IN WHICH I AM NOT TAKING SIDES!
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

People who really love the music and appreciate the bands will buy original records. That's just the way it is.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Page 1 of 2