I have played a few telecasters, and don't know too much about them. I know what makes them a telecaster, but when it comes to comparing one telecaster to the next I get kinda lost. I was wondering what some of the better(best) telecaster(s) are?
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Standard Plus(Honey Burst finish)
Fernandes Retrorocket Elite
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
Ask the Telecaster thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587493

Ultimately, it's the shape:

Single cut, inline tuners, Strat-sized, usually alder body, and usually fixed bridge.

Best teles would probably be Hugh Mansons made for Matthew Bellamy:

Best affordable ones would be Fender...it's practically an exclusive guitar (there are ESP varieties available, like the one used for Sweet Child 'O Mine, but it's expensive). A MIM or Squier Thinline are good places to start...
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Dec 12, 2007,
well a telecaster is really just a shape. Ive seen lipstick tube/single coil set up teles, ive seen HH, ive seen HSH, HSS, and many different woods/colors, neck through, bolt on etc.

IT depends on how traditional you want to be... traditional being plain colored body, bolt on maple neck, probably fender, tele bridge, and tele single coil bridge pickup, lipstick tube/single in the neck.

However my telecaster (my favorite guitar, absolutely incredible)....neck-through, bubinga/maple figured top, bubinga fretboard, HH with split coil on each, im pretty much a blasphemist.

As far as quality goes, i would go for a fender MIM and pimp it out, probably even a squier tele, solid wood, and if the neck is good (1 out of 20 or so from my experience) its a real keeper at only 180 or so new, 100 or so used.
Get an MIM Tele, toss in some new pickups, and you'll have a guitar that'll outlive you. Highly underrated guitars, they are.
What do you mean by MIM? and how can I tell if it's a MIM tele or not?
Gear:
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
Quote by ikeman868

An MIM is just a Tele made in Mexico. The Fender Standard series. They're only like $400.

I'd highly recommend one.
Quote by ikeman868

MIM stands for "Made in Mexico." You can tell if its a MIM usually by three factors. It says "Made in Mexico" right on the head of the guitar, they are usually around $400, and they are called Fender's Standard Series.
Be cool.
Thanks, would you suggest replacing the pickups? and if so, with what?
Gear:
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
Quote by ikeman868
Thanks, would you suggest replacing the pickups? and if so, with what?

I would, definitely.

I'd recommend a set of GFS pickups. Cheap, and very, very good.
GFS pickups are okay, but when it comes to guitarfetish, you really kinda get what you pay for i think. ive ordered alot of stuff from them for guitars that come in for repair, and i gotta say, their product dont seem like they will last. the pickups sounded okay, definitely an upgrade from the stock pikcups, but in my opinion, if your dishing out cash, you might as well save up and get good stuff.