So here's the problem. I have some kind of malware affecting my computer, namely the file userinit.exe
From what I've been able to gather from googling, it is a program which loads at startup then, once it's job is done, should terminate itself. However, I think it's causing me to get numerous pop-ups, plus overloading my computer usage (spikes it up to CPU Usage 100%). So I manually terminated, and everything seems to be running fine (at least faster and without popups). So my questions are these:

What exactly is userinit.exe, and is it advisable to manually terminate it after startup?
*This Space For Rent*
Thats the program that keeps your computer stable

Nah not really... I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about...

But, in all seriousness, if the **** hits the fan reformat your computer. If you really do have a virus or something it could just get worse
Last edited by shreddin_frets at Dec 12, 2007,
ive been in your situation before. the only way to deal with that is.. A) reformat your computer but this is a hassle and should only be done as the last available option. B) try repairing windows or C) you can deal with what youve got(as long as it works)?
userinit.exe is a windows file, no need to worry about it. It should shut itself off after startup, just like you said.

usrinit.exe is a worm.

Double check the application name, and use google to help you out.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
ok get the google-pack thing make sure that spyware doctor is in there, best virus/spyware fix I have found yet it can actually take care of trojen horses, and second piece is maybe try a system restore/repair
Do you have up to date anti virus/spyware software? if not I would strongly recommend downloading AVG Free (anti virus sofware), Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware (both anti spyware), also you might want to look into downloading CCleaner, it's another free app that can (among other things) clean up the start up and fix your system registry. All of those programs are free for download too
Quote by HaKattack
Wait a second..how did KoRn get you into metal? That's like Nancy Reagan getting you into heroin addiction and prostitution!
Quote by Ahyoka
Do you have up to date anti virus/spyware software? if not I would strongly recommend downloading AVG Free (anti virus sofware), Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware (both anti spyware), also you might want to look into downloading CCleaner, it's another free app that can (among other things) clean up the start up and fix your system registry. All of those programs are free for download too

This is the way to go (everything I have ), and I would also recommend Sygate Personal Firewall.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.