Just a quick question.... I am restoring my Grandpa's old amp and I need to replace the pots. How do I find out which ones I need? I mean, is there a standard type all Super Reverbs use? I've seen 100k, 250k, and 500k pots. I don't want to damage the amp so I need the proper ones. I can't really find an answer on google. Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks
uh... ur gonna replace all the pots? if u are, you'd need to find out what exactly are in the amp right now. in reality, all pots are probably different values.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Do they all need replacing? A good cleaning might be the better route first. I have the same amp, and I've never had an issue with them. If they're noisy, try some contact cleaner. It works wonders. I'd be more concerned with the state of all of the caps. If they've never been done, they're definitely old enough to be crapping out.

Get out your best phillips screwdriver and drop the chassis. You might be able to read the pot values when you're giving the pots a cleaning.

Don't forget to ground the thing out with an inline resistor before you work on it. I'm not sure what they're actually called, but it's a wire w/alligator clips with a resistor in the chain used for this purpose.

Caps can hold a nasty zap for days.

Edit: If you re-tube, I reccomend Sovtek wxt5881's for powertubes. I'm on my second set.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Dec 13, 2007,
^not days, but you should drain the caps (is this what u meant?). the resistor and alligator clip thing.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Go find the schematic for your amp. There are plenty of sites that have them. It will tell you the value and type of pot to use. If they go bad its usually because the sweeper on the pot has sat in one position for a long time. Sometimes contact cleaner will fix em.
Quote by ECistheBest
^not days, but you should drain the caps (is this what u meant?). the resistor and alligator clip thing.

Exactly...what he said
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Alright, I did what you guys said so far. I have some contact cleaner, dropped the chassis, and cleaned them. Still popping and scratchy. I was looking for replacement pots and it turns out most of the CTS pots in my amp have been changed anyways.

One more quick question. In the schematic there are 2-35 codes on the pots. Is that critical? Where can I find them? Could I get away with not getting those?