Page 1 of 2
I just recently was lent Gang of Four, Entertainment by my mom's boyfriend. I just can't believe that I'd never heard these guys, they were awesome. This ever happen to anyone else?
Most of the lesser known thrash bands especially Overkill, Death Angel, Heathen, and Forbidden. They are really great, but did not get enough media attention.

Same goes for Mercyful Fate and King Diamond.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

I can't believe I had never given Agalloch a good listen earlier. Seriously, what is wrong with me?
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Tom Waits...actualy I've known about him for years but sort of forgot, just recently after talking about Tommy the Cat by Primus with my bass player did I rediscover the briliance that is Tom Waits...
2 words

Algernon Cadwallader
Old king cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl( ****ing stoner)
and he called information for numbers he could have easily looked up in the phone book.
Caliban. New album was kind of overlooked, but omg was it amazing.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
TOOL
honestly only just started listening to them around the time 10,000 days came out
then kinda forgot about them for a while then one day i heard jambi on the radio
and went and got all thier albums
now im obsessed

and cant wait to see them live again
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by bootyguard
Most of the lesser known thrash bands especially Overkill, Death Angel, Heathen, and Forbidden. They are really great, but did not get enough media attention.

Have you ever heard of Slayer , Megadeth, Metallica or Testament.
I think they have myspaces..

On another note; i'd say Frank Zappa. I was bought up on him more or less, my dad is a big fan, my brother dug him as they got older. But I never realised or took him into account until i got over jimi hendrix and led zeppelin stages as everyone does..
I think that's why I feel happy and stuff when I hear a Zappa solo because my mind connnects it to happy childhood moments.
Last edited by Mattalac at Dec 13, 2007,
Quote by emr_steelmech

You have an awesome avatar.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by emr_steelmech

theyre nostly around europe and germany, everyone knows them here, thats why you dont get to hear much of em out there
w00t?
i listen to a lot of fugazi, bad religion, and black flag, but i didn't discover circle jerks, husker du, or mdc until many years later.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
i lived 12 years of my life thinking motley crue was weird and not the kinda music i liked.....
now motley crue= my favorite band
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.

-Timothy Leary
Quote by doctorums
i listen to a lot of fugazi, bad religion, and black flag, but i didn't discover circle jerks, husker du, or mdc until many years later.

My dad almost played for the circle jerks, they're awesome and underrated.
Quote by Mattalac

On another note; i'd say Frank Zappa. I was bought up on him more or less, my dad is a big fan, my brother dug him as they got older. But I never realised or took him into account until i got over jimi hendrix and led zeppelin stages as everyone does..
I think that's why I feel happy and stuff when I hear a Zappa solo because my mind connnects it to happy childhood moments.

Well Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica are all the most known thrash metal bands, and beyond that you really have to dig and search through countless forums and music reccommendation sites. Testament is pretty easy to find with a bit of searching for thrash metal.... but overkill i bought on a whim because i saw one of their used albums, heathen i has just heard of once and found one of their albums randomly, death angel's the ultraviolence is brilliant but I never see any music store carrying it, Flotsam + Jetsam are basically unfamiliar to anyone who isnt a complete metal fanatic and you need to really search for them too, almost as much as for heathen. Bands like Vio-Lence are also similar, as they were only around for a little while in the late part of the thrash scene.

I never had a problem finding the big 4, or the second layer under the big 4 (except for Overkill and most albums besides Act III by Death Angel).

Oh and yah some Zappa's always nice. Also Dinosaur Jr, Tool, The Mars Volta, and Sonic Youth are all interesting too.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Mindless Self Indulgence, Mickey Avalon, Bob Dylan (who I hadn't listened to until a week ago), Run DMC, Wu Tang, INDK, Morning Glory, American Distress, American Lesion, Fugazi
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
ALICE IN CHAINS

i learned about them in THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR, in my SOPHOMORE high school year, >=( but better late than never right?
slight twist, shivering corpse
ornated with water, fills the cracks
clasped in my limbs by tradition
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

"to be great is to be misunderstood."

- ralph waldo emerson
Clutch, even though i've been a huge fan since blast tyrant. Theres still a good 15 or so years of my life i didn't listen to them and should of. I dare anybody not to like Clutch.
EL-P where the **** has this guy been? Brilliant. And the Genius hmm both Hip Hop but i guess thats just where i'm at at the moment.
Sunny Day Real Estate... just started listening to them; wow... I love that ****.
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
Pink Floyd.

I never thought I would like their music and that it was all just some trippy psychedelic crap.

Then I started smoking pot. Boy were my eyes opened.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Machine head....i was like OMG when i started getting into them....seriously i still think their one of the greatest acts going around.
Quote by dude_bro
ALICE IN CHAINS

i learned about them in THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR, in my SOPHOMORE high school year, >=( but better late than never right?

Same with me.

I heard DownInAHole. and Frenchy talk about them so I bought Dirt, now I'm addicted.

and hands off the caps lock button
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I only found out about Grade a few years back, and they're clearly my favorite band now...
Real eyes realise real lies.
Chiodos and The Fall of Troy.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by bootyguard

Quote by Mattalac

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Radiohead, they've been around for ages but I hadn't really heard them until last year...and Neutral Milk Hotel.
Quote by Dr.Jimmy
I just recently was lent Gang of Four, Entertainment by my mom's boyfriend. I just can't believe that I'd never heard these guys, they were awesome. This ever happen to anyone else?

mhmm Gang of Four are the kewlest.

Richard Hell & The Voidoids for me, I only got into 'em around two months ago.

most bands i love now. it's sad how long it took me to really get into music.
"It's fun until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious."
Elvenking, and Ensiferum.

I Love Folk/Viking-Metal.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
The Wildhearts.

Also, The Wildhearts.

..And The Wildhearts.

..Ya get the point.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Cacophony, Dream Theater, Rush, Liquid Tension Experiment, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, eric Johnson, John Dowland, Gaspar Sanz, Paul Gilbert, Racer X, Mr Big, Stanley Jordan, Justin King.
hue
Page 1 of 2