i am really looking at getting a new amp, and i have been looking at the marshall JVM410H. i play mainly metal and thrash.

i am in a band, and we are not gigging yet, but hope to be soon.
the amp i have rite now is a fender FM212R and it doesnt really cut it for metal and live stuff..

so what im wondering is, should i really worry about getting a valve amp for like $4000 AUD or just get a really good solid state amp??

i want a good live sound. thats all im worried about. i can use effects pedals to practice, its just live stuff i want to use the amp with no effects pedals.

any help is good..

thanks
MD5K
IBANEZ
Yes you should worry about getting a valve amp. It will be the best decision ever.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
so solid state amps are really just a waste of money for live stuff..

i just worried a bit about the price thats all.. $4000 is alot of money for a 17 year old hahaha.
MD5K
IBANEZ
Well you don't need to buy a brand new Marshall. First of all, look used, and second of all, you might want a different amp. For your style I constantly hear that the Peavey 5150 (6506? I forget...) is a great amp, and it will cost a heckuva lot less if you buy the used combo. It will be plenty loud, and get you a great sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Your AUD budget is about the right budget for high gain amps. I'm sur eyou could find a used recto or similar for around 4k.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
screw the JVM, it's overpriced and confusing as hell.

Here's what you should get: Peavey 5150 original (if you can find one, if not then get a 6505+), a VHT fat bottom cab, and a Marshall 1960AV cab. Invest in a good noise gate (rackmounts are nice because both guitarists can utilize them if you split the signal), and have the VHT cab be the straight cab and the Marshall be a slant cab.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
I priced the whole setup I just suggested out, and it came to between 3402.06 AUD and 3702.06 AUD. That's before shipping and tax and whatnot though.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
I priced the whole setup I just suggested out, and it came to between 3402.06 AUD and 3702.06 AUD. That's before shipping and tax and whatnot though.

are you sure? You didn't just get USD prices and run them througha currency converter, did you?

A Marshall JVM new, head alone would cost 4000AUD alone, and mesas are even more. It's much more expensive over in AU. Hell, even a new Fender hot rod costs $1000 USD in Australia.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Dec 13, 2007,
So I was off by 900 AUD :p

I still doubt that you can snag a marshall1960AV, vht fat bottom, peavey 6505, and a rack nise eliminator for that 3.6k AUD.

The marshall cab is $1699 AUD alone, the 6505 costs $2499 AUD if only the head.

I would probably get guitar.com.au's peavey jsx with free 4x12 for 2995.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Dec 13, 2007,
Oh, definitely. You can't even do that in the Empire, let alone anywhere else

But the TS could just get the JVM combo that's on Guitar World's site. That's decently priced, considering it's in Australia.
you're right, i just ran the usd prices through a currency converter. that's my bad, i did it at like... 2am.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
get the jvm. great amp it is

oh, to answer your question YES they are worth it. hell worth it.
i got a price from my local music shop and the JVM is $4600 AUD for the head and cab. im not sure if it is the 1960A cab tho. its on special atm for $3950.

do peavey make good amps? better than marshall??

i want a real good live sound so i dont care if it has lots of gain or whatever coz ive been told u lose all that sound with cymbals and stuff anyways..

i want a real cutting tone.. so i cut through the drums and bass and rhythm.
can i do this on these amps??

and are solid state amps useless pretty much??
MD5K
IBANEZ
Get the valve, my friend. If you can afford it, by all means get the valve.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
Quote by TORSION
i got a price from my local music shop and the JVM is $4600 AUD for the head and cab. im not sure if it is the 1960A cab tho. its on special atm for $3950.

i want a real good live sound so i dont care if it has lots of gain or whatever coz ive been told u lose all that sound with cymbals and stuff anyways..

i want a real cutting tone.. so i cut through the drums and bass and rhythm.
can i do this on these amps??

and are solid state amps useless pretty much??

Right, slow down.
SS can be great
depends what ones you're looking at- never judge a company by a few products.
The JVM is a great amp. In my opinion, it's not quite worth the price it's at.
What else is available to you?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
check out the carvin v3 if they even have those over there. It's cheap and sounds damn good. 5150 is great too.
By far (in my opinion) Peavey makes the best affordable solid state amps, and you could gig them, but you would need at least 75 watts. Peavey ss amps are louder without clipping than most other affordable ss amps. They will still clip if overdriven however, and though they sound the most like a tube amp of any ss (again my opinion) they still don't sound as good as a tube combo. Peavey makes a $429 USD Valveking 50 watt 112 combo, also check out the Palomino if available. If you can go used that's probably your best bargain, followed by the Valveking. 50 tube watts is amazingly loud.
so now im confused..

some ppl say that solid state is ok, and some ppl say just get valves..

and when i go into music shops and say i want a amp for gigging, they take me straight to the valve amps and say solid state is crap..

i dont know what to do
MD5K
IBANEZ
valves are not the magical answer to all tone problems.

yes for gigging valve amps sound better because as they get louder they get the famous overdrive sound instead of the harsh transistor clipping found in solid state amps.

for you, I would say stick to valve amps. Your budget allows it
Quote by Sid McCall
Well you don't need to buy a brand new Marshall. First of all, look used, and second of all, you might want a different amp. For your style I constantly hear that the Peavey 5150 (6506? I forget...) is a great amp, and it will cost a heckuva lot less if you buy the used combo. It will be plenty loud, and get you a great sound.

Aggreed. A used Peavey 5150/6505 would be good for what you play. A used combo versoin would be a reasonable and powerfull choice.
people here say to people in metal bands "You don't need a half stack a combo amp is just fine" that aint metal man! stacks are metal! haha jk But really to me a half stack sounds so much better. I've played where the other guitarist had a 5150 combo amp and I had the 5150 half stack. Mine was much more clear sounding I guess because it had 4 speakers to go through. Plus I've never went and saw a metal band touring with combo amps.
the Line 6 vetta is an awesome SS amp
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by dsubstanceuk
$4000 Aud = $3444 Usd = £1717 Gbp

But amps cost 2-3x as much in AUstralia. you cn't just run prices through a currency converter.

Example, in the us a Triple REcto costs $1.5k-1.7k USD, in australia, it costs about 3000-4000 AUD.....

people here say to people in metal bands "You don't need a half stack a combo amp is just fine" that aint metal man! stacks are metal! haha jk But really to me a half stack sounds so much better. I've played where the other guitarist had a 5150 combo amp and I had the 5150 half stack. Mine was much more clear sounding I guess because it had 4 speakers to go through. Plus I've never went and saw a metal band touring with combo amps.

Because they're playing stadiums and what not. What amp were they using? Triple rectos? Triple rectos don't come in a combo. The 5150/6505 head is biased hotter than the combo, and in the pevaey's case, the cobo is so ridiculously heavy, it's better to get the head version.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by JLT73
the Line 6 vetta is an awesome SS amp

I definitely agree with you there don't get me wrong, I have a flextone III and as i have said many times before on this site i love the thing. However, I got the flextone (im using the flextone as an example b/c it uses the same technology as the Vetta II, just less amp models effects etc.) because of a lack of funding for a tube amp.

this guy seems to have the money for a nice valve amp, possible a nice NEW valve amp, although if it's used and it works fine there is nothing wrong with that. He also listed only two types of styles and I think the Vetta would be a little overkill if he is just looking for a couple of great tones.

In a nutshell

Vetta II (A HELLUVA A LOT OF GOOD TONES)
Nice Valve amp that fits his style (A few GREAT TONES)

So, I would go with the peavey or a used Jcm800. The marshall JVM also seems a little overkill b/c they just came out, a.k.a way overpriced and they are bascially meant to be (i dont know if they are but they def. seem to market it this way) all previous Marshalls built into one. Which as I said before it doesn't sound like he needs that many tones.

Anywho, thats my opinion
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
I'd rather have a jsx personally (I have a jcm900 which I'd honestly take over a jvm).
If I was in your situation, I'd look at getting a used twin channel jcm800 combo, and bossting it with a decent pedal. That'll be an instant early Metallica tone with some extra gain on tap.

Hope that helps.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.