So I've been playing for about 9 months now and am looking for a better sound. I am still on my first guitar and amp.

Currently I have an Epiphone SG 310 and a Peavey Rage 158.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115067/Rage(R)%20158.cfm

The Peavey is pretty much a ****ty 'transtube' model that cost me about 100 US.

Can I get a decent tube amp for 300 to 400 US dollars? Is the one below gonna be much of a step up in terms of sound difference considering my guitar? I have seen amps like this recommended in other threads:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

To add, I don't really think I need such a loud amp at the moment either. I jam occasionally with some drums and another player and the Peavey just gets there.
Laney VC30? No idea what kind of price you'd be looking at in America but hot damn, they're fantastic amps.
Ah. Well in that case you're completely screwed. You will not find a good for anywhere near your budget, unless you're fine on getting a tiny 5 watt... THING.

At that price you'd be better looking at a Roland Cube 30 or 60. The 60 goes for around $500-$600 AUD.

But yeah, for your price range you're not going to get a tube amp - not unless you can conjure another grand.
You could get an Epiphone Valve junior for that price. It isn't exactly very tweakable, but it sounds good, and if you add an OD and an EQ it's pretty sweet.

The Valvetronix is decent, but it's not really a tube amp.
What type of music do you play?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You have to realise that aussies n US have wayyy different pricings... Epi LP standard... close to a grand here... squier standard is like 500... and so on... i guess you can say its almost US times 2...
IMO the valvetronix would be fine.... but the 30w i think is around 500... so pretty much, as the guy above said, your scrwed...
I suggest putting up with your amp for a while longer and save up, its really worth it...
Quote by FacingUsAll
What type of music do you play?

Classic rock, that's why I'm looking to get a tube rather than another digital.
Quote by UrMomsMom
Thats a great idea actually forgot bout that, TS do you plan on playing with whole band or gigging soon ?not all venues have PA n stuff

Nowhere near gigging yet, but playing with the band is a possibility.

Is it worth getting the Valve Junior or saving up for a better amp? How loud is this thing gonna be in my bedroom?
The Valve Junior is starting to look pretty cool, I'll also get an effects pedal so that I can actually change the tone. I've never actually played a tube amp and can't wait to hear it, how good will this be? 5 watts is a bit worrying, since it's a tube, will it be louder than a solid state amp?
Quote by zapparage
The Valve Junior is starting to look pretty cool, I'll also get an effects pedal so that I can actually change the tone. I've never actually played a tube amp and can't wait to hear it, how good will this be? 5 watts is a bit worrying, since it's a tube, will it be louder than a solid state amp?

I think you should save up for a Krank amp. They're like..the best.

This is what I want: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613