What's better, Lessons, online or lessons with actual instructors? My one friend gets lessons at Morrados. But my other friend didn't and they sound like they have the same basic skill at playing guitar.
An instructor is more effective i think. Self taught people often uses alot of time practising their skills so after all i think it's about what's the best for you. If you don't get the basics, try instructor, if your motivated, determed and ready to spend some time in front of the comp, do it yourself.
we'll I know how to read tabs, but chords are a no for me, I mean, when I'm looking up chords online I find some good stuff, but, yeah I guess an instructor would be more effective.
A good instructor is the best method by far, a bad instructor can really mess you up though. Without hearing them it is hard to typify how good they actually are. Your one friend could have a bad instructor and they are both lousy, or your other friend may be doing a really job learning it himself and they both happen to be pretty good. It is hard to say.

However, I can only think of one self-taught virtuosic guitarist (Eddie Van Halen, and I'm pretty sure he did have a minor amount of basic training from his brother), where as every other one I can think of is trained. That probably isn't just a coincidence.
Quote by Matheau
A good instructor is the best method by far, a bad instructor can really mess you up though. Without hearing them it is hard to typify how good they actually are. Your one friend could have a bad instructor and they are both lousy, or your other friend may be doing a really job learning it himself and they both happen to be pretty good. It is hard to say.

However, I can only think of one self-taught virtuosic guitarist (Eddie Van Halen, and I'm pretty sure he did have a minor amount of basic training from his brother), where as every other one I can think of is trained. That probably isn't just a coincidence.

i know jimi hendrix, stevie ray vaughan, and dave mustaine were all self taught..i knew some others too, but i can't remember. anyway I suggest taking lessons, but it isn't a must.
Thats just it, i mean Jimi hendrix taught himself and he turned out to be great. So I think im probably going to just teach myself. Besides, it's cheaper than lessons. My friend said that at lessons he learned how to play the happy birthday jingle that you sing to a kid on his birthday. He pays money for that? I know how to play The Ocean by Led Zeppelin, and I didn't need a lesson for that.
What your friend is learning is proper form and technique. I bet he can play the birthday song with 100% better tone then you can play Zepp.

The problem is, when you teach yourself you want to jump in and immediately learn to play things that are fun. You skip fundamentals. You need a teacher to force you to learn the basics, not jump straight into reading tabs and playing them as fast as you can, giving you an awful sound that you don't recognize because your ear isnt trained.
Without a doubt, an instructor. Nothing beats the personal interaction you get with an instructor. YOu can ask them any questions and they can show you right there in person how to do something, they can analyze your technique to see if you are doing something wrong.

I've always been an advocate of the good ol' fashion personal face to face lessons, because my skill at guitar is basically owed to that format. I mean learning online is great too, although you risk a couple of things.

Risk 1: There is a lot of bad information on the internet. It's hard to tell who's legit and who's not.

Risk 2: Sometimes you can't really get the hang of something or see the way it's done unless you are there in person. A video might not show you the right angle you need to see on the guitar or what not.

Risk 3: No way to actually verify if you are learning correctly etc. I don't know how interactive your lessons will be, if you will have an instant messenger kind of service with a real instructor or what. However with a guitar player in person he can tell if you are progressing and playing things correctly after you learn how to do them.

Anways, thats my schpeal. Good luck with your decision, taking any kind of lessons are good just make sure they are legit if you take them online.

Edit: I was checking out some of the above posts and it's true, a bad instructor in person can be of no help as well. So I guess legitimacy is something you need to worry about in all forms of lessons, but I still would advocate the in person style
Quote by XxnoobzerxX
Thats just it, i mean Jimi hendrix taught himself and he turned out to be great. So I think im probably going to just teach myself. Besides, it's cheaper than lessons. My friend said that at lessons he learned how to play the happy birthday jingle that you sing to a kid on his birthday. He pays money for that? I know how to play The Ocean by Led Zeppelin, and I didn't need a lesson for that.

Although i listed hendrix as a self-taught guitarist, you really can't say that because he made it that you will too. Hendrix was obsessed with guitar, probably more than anyone here. He talked to it, he slept with it in his bed, etc. I really don't think there are many people who are more dedicated than he was. even so, his technique wasn't really "good" either.
Self-taught musicians who play well are good players despite the fact they are self-taught.

There is no substitute for learning directly, in person from an instructor. On-line materials, tabs, books, and your ear are all great tools -- but these tools will be more valuable once you have a good foundation in the basics from an instructor.

You will learn much faster from an instructor, rather than having to go through a lot of frustrating trial and error on your own. Why re-invent the wheel, when you can be coached and be the player you wan to be so much faster?
I'm just going to sound like the others here, so I'll keep it simple. Face-to-face is by far the best.

One lesson helped me improve greatly, just by fixing my technique. I thought I was fine with teaching myself, but my friend convinced me to take just one lesson. I assure you I'll be taking more.

Simply put, instructors can save you where tabs and videos cant; they can see what you're doing wrong and fix it before it becomes bad habit. If you need an example, I was playing 'I'd Love To Change The World' by Ten Years After, by moving my fingers to every new note. When my instructor asked me to show him what I knew, he laughed at my attempt and showed me that I could just form 4 chord patterns and arpeggiate them. I'm actually playing it at speed now, lol, and it sounds much better and less sloppy.

So, if you've got the money, get lessons now. Make sure your instructor's good, though, like mine is.
An instructor is great for pointing out proper technique and can give you pointers on how to improve your weaknesses. Beyond that, it's all you. So I would say starting out an instructor is really good. But once you have a grasp of the basics you can use books, videos and the internet. If there is a really specific style of playing you want to master (i.e. spanish style) an instructor is handy.