A band I'm playing with uses drop C tuning (CGCF), I've always played standard or 1/2 step down so my basses are not set up for drop C. I did a makeshift adjustment and also put the lightest 5 string bass strings I could find at my local shop (125-95-75-60) on one of my basses, mid 90s Ibanez ATK300. This was just a quick last minute solution that I did to prevent really floppy strings.
So now I'm trying to figure out a better long term solution. Should I get a professional tech set up the bass for C-tuning? Or would it be better to buy a 5 string? I really like the Schecter stiletto line (especially the Elite) and I've seen nothing but positive feedback on them from this site. I can afford either option but I have zero experience in drop tuning bands and just want to know what others think is a better solution that could aid me in my decision. Thanks!
If you want to play your old bass set it up. If you want a new one buy it. But you will still have to set it up.
The jazz student
why would you put lighter strings on to prevent them from being floppy.. you would go heavier
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by playmetal5150
why would you put lighter strings on to prevent them from being floppy.. you would go heavier

No no. I didn't put lighter strings on it, the strings are much heavier. Normally on that ATK I play 105s, too floppy. So I found light 5 string bass strings and used the 4 heaviest of the set as my strings. So instead of using a 105 as my normal E string its now a 125, and so on down.
oh i see you put them on a 4 string.. my bad..yea my bassist plays drop c he just plays real floppy i think .. alot of metal bands i've seen use 5 strings that might be the solution to your problem
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
Yeah I'm thinking the 5 string is probably the easiest but more costly solution.
Any other ideas from 4 string drop C players?
just buy some fat strings (not the 5 set just 4 but fat) and adjust your bass a little bit
IMO 4 strings are more fun to play than 5 but thats just me
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Are you playing in C, or are you playing in Drop C?

This, for some reason, reminds me of the commerical of the "Laas Vegas Quaaality" show "Le Grande Cirque" at some theme park in Western New York.

EDIT: OK, you're playing drop D, just everything one step down further.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Dec 13, 2007,
Quote by Trabo
if your going into drop c on a 4 string, your strings going to flop like a fish without water

id advise a 5 string

A proper set-up offsest the floppiness. Bassist in hundreds, if not thousands of bands use drop C tuning on a 4 string and are fine.
use a low B string for your C and then use heavy gauge A,D, and G strings.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu