I need to make a backing track but have no idea how. I heard you could use Audacity to remove things. The song I want to make a backing track of is Ten Words by Joe Satriani (so I need to remove the lead guitar).

Thanks.
You can remove vocals pretty easily from almost anything, instruments on the other hand are a bit tougher. I would try fiddling with the EQ until you can find the frequency range your trying to isolate.
You could also try this ... a little more involved though.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500548

I would first search www.guitarbt.co for the needed track, also you can join the forums and request it if it's not already there.

Cheers.

Quote by Daveynator
I need to make a backing track but have no idea how. I heard you could use Audacity to remove things. The song I want to make a backing track of is Ten Words by Joe Satriani (so I need to remove the lead guitar).

Thanks.
Its pretty difficult to take apart an original recording. It would be easier to make your own out of midi intruments, and then you also get the know-how and can make backing tracks for your own songs too.
To remove voice:
You need to find a song that had its normal form plus an A Capella version.
You simply flip the phase on the A Capella version and blend them together to cancel the voice out of the mix.

Problem with this is its very hard to find an A Capella version, so most people will use MIDI arrangements. You can find many at www.guitarbt.com so I'd check there first.

I'm not exactly sure how you'd remove the guitars, it'd probably be more involved.
MBOX2 - PRO TOOLS LE 7.3.1 - CUBASE SX3 - REASON 4
ATTACK_DECAY_SUSTAIN_RELEASE_
Last edited by orgasmickey at Dec 13, 2007,
You will be lucky to get guitar out. Vocals are fairly easy by comparison cause a lead vocal is pretty much always set dead center in the mix. The only other instruments dead center are the kick drum and bass guitar. There are a couple others that "might" be dead center.....but not always(snare can go eithe way....dead center or a little off center depending).

The other dead center instruments wont occupy the same frequency range as a vocal....so its easier to target the vocal without disturbing the rest of the music too much.

Guitars on the other hand usually are spread out much more(talking stereo here). They usually arent all by themselves.....plus since a lot of other stuff is spread out as well.....there is a good change the guitars are occupying the same frequency at the same time as other instruments. Its harder to pull out them guitars without really disturbing the mix.

You might get lucky though with some lead parts. Solos do frequently end up right in the middle......and there often isnt vocals going on with solos, so you might be able to pull out a good bit of a lead guitar without hurting the rest of the mix too terribly bad as well.

But it wont be easy......especially if vocals are happening(guitars and vox will surely share some of the frequency spectrum.....and a lead part will probably share some of the same space in the stereo field too)
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
Quote by Daveynator

Thanks.

A lead guitar is usually in the middle of the stereo field, which is the same place where vocals are but guitars usually take more space than vocals so you could turn the lead's volume down and the backing track's volume louder but you would still hear the lead (faintly... but still). I would suggest that you use Cool Edit Pro and then go to Favorites and click vocal cut, then turn the whole track's volume down and save it, then open it again, and turn it louder but only loud enough to remove the lead.
Depending on the makeup of the song, you may also take out the snare and kick, which will leave the hihat and crash cymbals sizzling very loudly so equalize it and turn the highest frequencies down (not completely) so that the crash and hihats dont sound too loud.
Last edited by streetlegal08 at Dec 14, 2007,