Are they made for helping achieve the sound of the player they are made after or just for the benefit of saying you have a guitar like them and you can just say to your friends "OMGZOR I GOTZ A GUITAR THAT LOOKS LIKE AVRIL LAVIGNES"

Note: I am not considering buying Avril Lavignes signature, don't worry
They are meant for people who want to sound like their favorite guitarist.

It's a gimmick if you ask me. They charge a bunch of money for a slightly modified guitar with somebody's name on the headstock, people buy it thinking they can sound exactly like Alexi Laiho, not realizing that there is a little more to the sound than a $2000 guitar through a Line 6 Spider.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
it just looks like it unless ur paying over at least $1000
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
well i've gt the tony iommi signature g400. I didn't buy it cos i wanted to sound like him, cos i knew that wouldn't happen, but it does have gibson pickups and grover tuners, so the specification is better than standard g400. All in all i guess i just liked the feel of it.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
80% of people will go for a signature guitar because they want to have a guitar that looks like their heroes. Or alternately, they can go the full 9 yards and dress as Avril Lavigne and start a cover band.

For example! When did you last go to a pro gig and see someone playing a Brian May guitar? (Not to knock the guitar, the man built it himself, but I'm yet to see someone else playing one).
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Its just advertising. Your favorite artist has one so you should to. You want to be like everybody else dont you. So-in-so uses it it must be better right. Look at all the ads in magazines. They dont spend that money unless they get results. And what artist is going to turn down free guitars and a check.
i disagree with the js ibanez models

they are amazing

jems are nice too, but they are a tad bit overpriced
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Not neccesarily (spelling?) just for money. I woud buy one if it was a completely awesome guitar in it's own right.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Metallica708
Not neccesarily (spelling?) just for money. I woud buy one if it was a completely awesome guitar in it's own right.

The thing is, most are so horribly overpriced you could find a more awesome guitar for a lower price. In some cases, you could have a luthier make your dream guitar instead of buying an overpriced sig guitar
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
George lynch signature ESP sunburst tiger FTW!!!!
I don't even shred
The best sig guitars (and especially basses) are those that offer something different.
I would buy the Schecter Jeff loomis sig and I don't really care for his music, it's just an all around solid guitar.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Ibanez PGMs.

The current model, the 301, is not hideously overpiced, ads something to the Ibanez line up and looks amazing:

DiMarzio pickups, maple fretboard, fixed bridge, one volume, reversed headstock and fake F holes.

Good stuff
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Most sig models are a marketing thing. The musicman signature models are worth the money though, you can't get those specs on any other guitars that I'm aware of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, generally, when a pro guitarist gets a guitar endorsement deal they get guitars made to their own specifications. If the guitarist is popular enough, the company will be able to make profit out of selling a similar guitar with the artist's name attached to it, and therefore make a signature model. Most of the time these differ in specification to cut production costs. It would seem, however, that the Ibanez signature guitars are exact copies of the artist's own guitar. I'm sure this is also the case with other manufacturers (e.g Musicman guitars, Mattias Eklundh's "Apple Horn" made by Caparison, etc..)

I'll add that while I own a PGM, it's a great guitar in it's own right. I bought it because I wanted a fixed-bridge, maple-necked RG, and got a good price on it.

Quote by bonzaischaap
Ibanez PGMs.

The current model, the 301, is not hideously overpiced, adds something to the Ibanez line up and looks amazing:

DiMarzio pickups, maple fretboard, fixed bridge, one volume, reversed headstock and fake F holes.

Good stuff

Last edited by Nolly at Dec 13, 2007,
Most signature guitars are crazy overpriced, but some are treated as a line of guitar just like one of the standard ones, there have been countless JEMs that Vai's never used on stage/album (or has had very limited use) and people can live by JEMs, same as PGMS.

Some are marketing ploys but others are perfectly good guitars that shouldnt be restricted to that one artist. I know Kuraprica (is that the guys user name?) uses a PGM301 and he's in a punk/indy band I believe.
Oh, haha yeah, I only just found this thread

Yeah, I use a PGM and play indie punk mostly. I didn't buy it because I wanted Gilbert's guitar, it's just a lovely guitar for the money. I recommend anyone after a nice hardtail Ibanez to go check it out ^^

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by mafropetee
They are meant for people who want to sound like their favorite guitarist.

It's a gimmick if you ask me. They charge a bunch of money for a slightly modified guitar with somebody's name on the headstock, people buy it thinking they can sound exactly like Alexi Laiho, not realizing that there is a little more to the sound than a $2000 guitar through a Line 6 Spider.

Didn't I see you post about how much you love Razorbacks 10 minutes ago?

Signatures are worthless unless it's something outstanding, like Vai's sig being the first mass produced 7 string, or Malmsteen's scalloped frets.
Dickless.
Well the sigs that are to the standard of the actual endorsee are awesome and practical as they'll be proffesional grade equipment.

Like Joe Satriani straps, I have one, it's awesome, I'm getting another one for my carvin, they hold up very nicely, no straplocks!.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Didn't I see you post about how much you love Razorbacks 10 minutes ago?

Signatures are worthless unless it's something outstanding, like Vai's sig being the first mass produced 7 string, or Malmsteen's scalloped frets.

I don't really consider Razorbacks to be a signature guitar anymore. They have more or less become just another Dean guitar, kind of like what happened to the Jackson RR. Even if they are technically signature guitars, they are one of the few exceptions. I love how they feel and play. They could do without the Dimebucker, but they DO have the 255 model with EMGs.
^But they still have some of the worst trems I have ever touched. If they ditched it for an OFR I would seriously consider buying a Razorback V.

Sig guitars are fine when they bring something different to the table. Like, if it has some design feature or a special part or something that you can't generally get from a normal guitar then I really don't have an issue with them.

Like the Jeff Loomis signature for example. It's seven strings, has an Ash Body, and has an OFR. Find me another guitar that has that.
Go get your shovel.
^ Well I can't speak for the trems. I've played plenty at Sam Ash and the trem seemed perfectly fine. But as far as longevity goes, I have no clue.
Hmm, yes and why do guitar companies make guitars? Oh yes, to make money. And I suppose everyone who plays a Les Paul just wants to look like him? Of course not. They like the sound and feel of it. Of course there are people who will buy it just to sound exactly like their hero, but who cares? It is their money and they can do what they want.
Quote by mafropetee
^ Well I can't speak for the trems. I've played plenty at Sam Ash and the trem seemed perfectly fine. But as far as longevity goes, I have no clue.

Well, I played a Razorback V at a Guitar Center, and that thing dropped out of tune in 10 minutes. My friend also has an ML that he can't keep in tune for anything.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by SynGates7X
Well, I played a Razorback V at a Guitar Center, and that thing dropped out of tune in 10 minutes. My friend also has an ML that he can't keep in tune for anything.

Perhaps it wasn't set up properly.
Tremontis signature is what I want.
Or just the pick ups.
High out put
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
In my profile, under "blogs", there's one called "the rant part two" that pretty much describes the way i feel about signature guitars.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by mafropetee
I don't really consider Razorbacks to be a signature guitar anymore. They have more or less become just another Dean guitar, kind of like what happened to the Jackson RR. Even if they are technically signature guitars, they are one of the few exceptions. I love how they feel and play. They could do without the Dimebucker, but they DO have the 255 model with EMGs.

Well no, RRs were technically NOT Randy Rhoads signature guitar, just like the LP isn't Les Paul's.

And no one can really argue, they're WAY overpriced. I'd never spend more than maybe $600 on one.
Dickless.
Guitar companies make signature models to make money. The thinking is that you will want to be "like Mike" to put it in perspective, it's no different than selling Air Jordan's. Sometimes, a signature model is significant enough in it's own right to really change things around for a company. Take the Les Paul model. Everyone who plays anyt ype of Les Paul model is playing a signature gutiar, myself included. In this particular case, they've become so iconic for the company that makes them, that they've redefined what it is that the company makes. So now, people don't buy various Les Paul models because they want to be like the Wizard of Waukesha, but rather they want to be like so many other people since then that have used the same product. Like the strat, it has defined what is considered to be the classic sound of some genres. Les himself didn't play the models that bore his name without extensive personal modification until they produced the Les Paul Recording model in the 1970's. I'm not as versed on Ibanez history, but I get the impression that Steve Vai legitimized Ibanez's homegrown designs as opposed to continuing to make very good knockoffs of gibson and fender designs. While Fender has certainly had it's share of very good endorsers, their historically lower (this was a strategic decison on their part) price point means they have (intentionally) been more reachable financially through the years so the who's who of who has played them tends to be more extensive.
I dont believe ALL people buy sig guitars just because they want to be just like their heroes, even if that is the case with a lot of people. I bought the alexi-600 because it just plays perfect for me, and it looks badass. It wasnt even ridiculously expensive, got it for 950 on MF.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I don't think the manufacturers care that a few people might buy the instrument on their own merits as long as people keep buying them. Just because people liek you and I don't buy a sig model becasue of who's endorsing ti doesn't mean that a lot of people aren't going ahead and doing that. Another disturbing trend to me is all the artificial relicing going on. I'm sure it has valid collector's appeal when applied to a sig model but my personal opinion is it's made for people who want to have a wall hanger with "battle scars." Personally I think it's fraulent, kinda like forging one's resume, but it must have some other appeal that I haven't considered because it's been a very popular practice in recent years. Check out Gibson's VOS models. All their custom shop les pauls were coming slightly worn from the factory by default unless you specified otherwise. /rant