I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I want to get more into Paul's bass playing. I have a couple questions and it would be helpful if someone could help me. I tried using the search bar but it says it's disabled.

How can I get closer to his tone? I just want to know what kind of gear he uses and techniques he uses. Also I've seen Paul use a pick a lot but when I use a pick playing Beatles songs, it sounds more robotic than using fingers.

Also, can you please tell me some more difficult Beatles songs on bass? Many I've learned so far are pretty easy. I'm still a beginner and I want some harder Beatles songs to push me further. The hardest Beatles song I know is "I Saw Her Standing There" and I've got it down.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with these questions. Thanks.
You really want his tone? Man, I think it's the worst non-Gibson tone I've ever heard, especially later on - but anyways:

He used either a Hofner Violin bass in the early years or a Rickenbacker in the later years. Hofners are not tone monsters, and $200 violin copies sound and play just as good as the $3000 real thing. He used picks and flatwound strings - you'd be surprised how much just getting a set of flatwounds will make your tone more like his.

Don't worry about the Rickenbacker - the flatwounds pretty much circumcise the Ric qualities we all know and love. Especially on Abbey Road - he used Rotosound Nylon TruBass flatwounds on that record (the whole thing from what I understand). Get a set of those, and no matter the bass, you'll have that "whale smashing its tail into an empty water tower" tone in no time - just make sure you use a pick so you can actually hear where one note ends and the other begins.

I can get the tone of Something (sort of) using my Precision, flatwounds, and a pick, but it's not as "bwamm, bwamm, bwamm" as the record.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Now that Fitz has covered the one side of the block (sound)--lets get on with the song selection. Because one man's easy is another's difficult, can you give us an example of what you have already learned? Thanks!
Quote by anarkee
Now that Fitz has covered the one side of the block (sound)--lets get on with the song selection. Because one man's easy is another's difficult, can you give us an example of what you have already learned? Thanks!

Thanks a lot Fitz, that helped a lot. I've learned so far A Hard Days Night, Ballad Of John And Yoko, Come Together, Something, Love Me Do, Taxman, I Want to Hold Your Hand, I Saw You Standing There, Hello Goodbye, Birthday, Help, and Got To Get You Into My Life. Most of those are pretty easy.
I believe Sgt. Peppers has quite a few good basslines on it, not overly challenging though but none of his stuff really is, just usually rather fun I find
Quote by Feed The Gods
Thanks a lot Fitz, that helped a lot. I've learned so far A Hard Days Night, Ballad Of John And Yoko, Come Together, Something, Love Me Do, Taxman, I Want to Hold Your Hand, I Saw You Standing There, Hello Goodbye, Birthday, Help, and Got To Get You Into My Life. Most of those are pretty easy.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) would be a killer line to learn - and there's some cool bass fills in it, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I Want You (She's So Heavy) would be a killer line to learn - and there's some cool bass fills in it, too.

I concur on "She's so Heavy".

"Lovely Rita" is another one I'd recommend, it also has some nice slides at the end.
"Lady Madonna" is not hard, but fun to play.
Quote by anarkee
I concur on "She's so Heavy".

"Lovely Rita" is another one I'd recommend, it also has some nice slides at the end.
"Lady Madonna" is not hard, but fun to play.

Funny story - a long time ago, I came up with a riff. That riff ended up being Lady Madonna. Boy, did I ever feel stupid.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Daytripper is also a good song to learn as well. A bit repetitive, but it is rather fun to play.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Drive My Car has a great riff and it's very bass driven.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Another favourite of mine to play-"Hey Bulldog". Not terribly hard, not terrible easy, but a kinda cool bassline even for Macca
if you want a good melodic semi-difficult beatles song, try "Something" its not hard in terms of memorization, but the timing is very tricky. Have fun with it.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by thycrusader
if you want a good melodic semi-difficult beatles song, try "Something" its not hard in terms of memorization, but the timing is very tricky. Have fun with it.

That songs has some very nice parts, but there are a few moments where the bassline was bordering on Captain Beefheart (tell me that the bass line for the "You're asking me will my love grow" part doesn't remind you of the beginning of Pachuco Cadaver at all...)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
obla-di obla-da

happpiest bass line ever!

kinda tough, but not too bad

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
He uses his thumb a lot. I you look at the Do They Know Its Xmas video (new one) you can see that.
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! or if you wanna go OLD school, Aint She Sweet
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by thefitz
Funny story - a long time ago, I came up with a riff. That riff ended up being Lady Madonna. Boy, did I ever feel stupid.

I did the same thing, but with Day Tripper.
Got Bass?
Penny Lane. Love that one. And you can just learn it, or study some of the theory that makes it work, and get into the McCartney way.

Besides, is it just me or does his playing style change around about Sgt Peppers? There is the Paul-is-dead theory...lol
Quote by creepingjesus73
Penny Lane. Love that one. And you can just learn it, or study some of the theory that makes it work, and get into the McCartney way.

Besides, is it just me or does his playing style change around about Sgt Peppers? There is the Paul-is-dead theory...lol

Yeah... call me crazy but I prefer the new Paul to the dead one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
For a song to learn I'd say Maxwell's Silver Hammer

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Just so you know, I Saw Her Standing There's bassline was copied directly from a Chuck Berry song.

As for gear, until before the single Rain/Paperback Writer he was using the Hofner Violin Bass, after that, Rickenbacker basses until the end with some exceptions. Can't say anything about amps though.
Quote by creepingjesus73

thats what lsd does to ppl :p

sgt peppers was very different for everyone

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....