Right
I have made a couple of threads related to this,but now I'm tackling the issue head on, it is my 18th at the end of februrary, and I intend to buy a bass I'm gonna keep forever

I'm getting a decent amp for xmas (Laney RB8), so Its a bass I'm after

I want it to be a 4 string, becuase i dont get on with 5/6 stringers, Little hands....
and something a bit different really, that might stand out (curse this wretched vanity )

I play a mix of rock, funk and slap at the moment, getting more into my slap as my techniques and confidence on the bass improve

examples of bands would be: Primus (and anything claypool related), Muse, Nirvana, a little bit of James Brown and a little bit of Chili Peppers, the usual slightly Noobish bass stuff really...

Budget of around £500 to £1500 (combination of cash presents and wages,so could go higher for something drop dead amazing)

I'd like to get it from PMT,as I currently have £50 movabale deposit on a Fender Mustang, which I'm now not sure about, the slap tone just is'nt oommphy enough

I like J style basses, but I'd like some variety,as I've pretty much only owned basses with J style PU's, and currently have a Peavey Milestone 78, which although it's cheap and cheerful,Im very attached too and won't be going anywhere.
Hmm, I would say if you like slap look into P-basses, (Not really my cup of tea) but for J-basses look into perhaps a Fender Active Jazz bass made in America. Deffeintly fits your price range and is pretty awesome.

Also Warwick Corvette perhaps, not sure but it might be a good bass for you.
Stingray maybe? Variety would be the Fender though.
thats like $3000 im guessing

something different too?

check out some Modulus basses
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Should have put this at the start of the thread:

I don't like P-basses
I dont know why, I've played MIA and MIM Fender P-basses and hated them all

It's a strange slightly irrational hate = /

but they just dont feel comfortable
and yeah,about $3000 US dollars, but we get screwed over in the UK
*grumbles inchorently for a while,walks over and hugs bass to cheer self up*
a jazz bass or maybe a stingray, if the stingray is a bit p bass-y for you then try the sterling
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Always found Stingray necks waaay to wide for me
soo uncomfortable
I'm really being a picky dick now arnt i?
See this is why Im asking for help, Im totally useless and silly with basses
thanks everyone tho, all ur opinions are considered = D
it's my fault for not putting enought info at thread start!!
Ill learn....
For J style basses... you might wanna look at the Fender Jazz, Lakland Darryl Jones, Joe Osbourn, Warwick Corvette, Warwick Streamer II.

If you wanna stay away from Stingray necks, check out basses with a nut width of 1.5". I personally prefer this myself. I'm pretty sure all the basses I mentionned above have this.

You got enough cash to buy two good basses second hand! Especially at this time of year. Everyone's selling, but no-one's buying because everyone's spending on Christmas. You'd save much more than your £50 deposit TBH.

Good luck! Christmas is a great time to release the GAS. Trust me...
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Always found Stingray necks waaay to wide for me
soo uncomfortable
I'm really being a picky dick now arnt i?
See this is why Im asking for help, Im totally useless and silly with basses
thanks everyone tho, all ur opinions are considered = D
it's my fault for not putting enought info at thread start!!
Ill learn....

that's why i suggested the sterling its basically a stingray with a slightly smaller body and a thinner neck
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
if uv'e got the money, try a rickenbacker 4003 (just realised chris in muse plays this sometimes) or if u want to go into metal playing you could get a warwick infinity or vampyre, they both stand out quite alot too
Last edited by n1ghtw15h at Dec 14, 2007,
I'd say a musicman bongo, i've never been dissapointed with any i've tried.

Plus it stands out dontchathink?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Want something that stands out with that price range? Get a Customized Prince-like bass guitar.
Try out a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On. They're great for about anything, and have more natural growl than about any bass I've ever heard. Great for slap, too. Should be in the top end of your price range.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by MarkMaccers
Fender Jazz.
It's unbelievably versatile.

He said he didn't want a Jazz...A few times.

What about a HH Stingray? Too uncomfortable?

Warwick's Dirty Blonde stands out to me.

OR the JE sig bass also from Warwick...Wow
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
He said he didn't want a Jazz...A few times.

What about a HH Stingray? Too uncomfortable?

Warwick's Dirty Blonde stands out to me.

OR the JE sig bass also from Warwick...Wow

Sorry mate... unfortunately did he mentions he likes J style basses. Hence I why I recommended a whole bunch of them to him.
What about some variety of Schecter Stiletto, they sound great & look good.

Or my personal favorite bass that isn't exessively expensive, Ibanez BTB-500, maybe BTB-1000

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
What about some variety of Schecter Stiletto, they sound great & look good.

Or my personal favorite bass that isn't exessively expensive, Ibanez BTB-500, maybe BTB-1000

with the amount of money he has he doesn't have to worry about saving too much of it

unless i'm wrong, last time i was in a european country i saw a starter pack there fore way more than twice the amount i would spend on it in america, so his money might not be worth as much as i think it is
You could look into Warwicks. They're not for everyone, but their tone is undeniably immense and their looks...Well, every warwick I've seen has wow'd me in that department. They're beautiful instruments.
If your going to be 18 it sound be a bass with mudity on it!!

But no really just see what you like. try out all the bass a your local store or even ask the people there like tel them you have small hands and would like some pretty slim necked basses
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
mudity?

i'm so confused, can't wait to be 18 so i can figure out what this amazing thing is, it must be amazing if all the older kids know what it is
you could look into a used warwick, the have an awesome growly tone for rock and you can get a great slap tone out of them. They go for about £400 to £500 on ebay or you could a new one for about £800. I would tell where to get a new one for £400 but sorry I've got my eye on that one :P Or if you want to stretch a bit more you could go for a MM Sterling. There a bit smaller than a stingray, smaller body, thinner neck and an extra fret. I think it also has a different pre-amp but its still just as good. But if you really want to stretch to that £1500 limit, then i would look into a pedulla rapture, *drool*
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thankyou Everyone

after much deliberation

I have decided to go with either a Sandberg basic 4 or a Musicman Sterling

no doubt I may have changed my mind come february,but Im goin to PMT wednesday to try them both

and decide.....

soo thankyou all again for your suggestions

peace,love and hugs