OK, so I sing in a punk/pop punk/ whatever the hell we feel like playing at the time band
but I also play bass, how do I get these both down at the same time?
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
try playing and singing the song but not saying the words just mumbling then eventually turning them into words, orr play and sing with the song
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Play some easy songs and sing over them. Just do melodies for a while, and then add lyrics. And practice a lot. Then move on to complex stuff.
ask the dude from slayer, he seems to do it.
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
its funny... everyone I ask says they find it harder to play bass and sing than play guitar and sing.

Probably because you have to move youre hand more on the bass.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
yea, i guess bass would be harder, because if you do rhythm guitar and sing, you'll get away with strumming any rhythm, as long as it follows the overall beat sort of thing.
I'll assume you're asking how to physically sing and play at once.

I do that in my band - I'm the frontman, and I have to sing and play my lines. A lot of guys dumb down their lines so they can sing, and I've yet to do that. Hell, the more complicated ones seem to be easier to sing to than the simple ones (as the simple ones seem to have more rhythms that clash with my singing rhythms). I do all my pentatonic runs and fills and octaves while I sing, so it's possible.

Literally, one day in August I just picked up my bass and started to sing and play. Before, I never could, but at that moment, I could sing and play every single song we've ever done.

Why? Because I recorded our songs and listened to them a thousand times. I knew how I sounded while I was playing. If you're doing covers, you know how some other dude sounds, not you. Record yourself WITH THE BAND singing and playing and listen to your songs at least once a day, every day, for a month.

There's an inherent rhythm to singing and playing that you have to naturally be able to feel. For example, by the time you play this many notes, you should be singing this word. The rhythm at which you sing and play should be related, not two independant things. They might seem that way at first, but make sure you listen to the songs until you understand exactly how they relate to one another.

Also, don't be one of those punks who stares at the bass neck (while playing Black Sabbath, lying about getting a Dean bass, getting an EB3 that Geezer owned, a CBS Fender, etc). Learn to play in position. Just glance down at the neck for a second in the corner of your eye to check yourself, but that should be all.

Oh, and if you're one of those dudes that just yells with no tune (like Maxwell Murder by Rancid) and playes root notes of chords that change every 2 bars, you should have no problems singing and playing ever.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
OK, I play more complicated punk and I don't really have to look at the fretboard, only when I solo or get lost, I just find it hard to keep the rythym and sing at the same time. and TheFitz what don't you do/own?
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Just do it alot. Play familiar songs. Put CD on andplay and sing along to it.

Like most things there isn't just "poof, there you go" solution, you just have to practice.
Quote by PunkRocker33133
OK, I play more complicated punk and I don't really have to look at the fretboard, only when I solo or get lost, I just find it hard to keep the rythym and sing at the same time. and TheFitz what don't you do/own?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think he may have meant to ask "What don't/do you own?"
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!
Quote by TheSnow
I think he may have meant to ask "What don't/do you own?"

Gear wise? If you're referring to the Dean/CBS Fender thing, that's an inside joke from a while ago when some kid got drunk and decided to terrorize me on the forum.

If you want to see my gear, check my profile - it's all there, believe me. Cept for my Carvin head I just got.

Personally, I'm typically look at the audience when I'm playing - take a look at my photos. I'll occasionally glance down if I need to.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I can sing and play guitar, but I am still working on the singing and bass playing. Most drummers I know face the same issues.

Drummers and bass players normally don't follow the melody but are usually running counter or something slightly more complex than the rhythm of the melody. Take a song that you either can sing in your sleep or a song you can play in your sleep and start with that. One of the two elements needs to almost subconscious, so you can think about the other. For most of us, that's going to be the bass playing.

And practice--its not something that will happen overnight.
Bass and singing in pretty hard cuz you're singing the melody while playing root notes, it's quite confusing for your brain, but practise makes perfect.
If you're just starting out, try playing only root notes in the correct rhythm while singing. It shouldn't be too difficult, but make sure you at least have that much down before trying anything else. Once you've gotten pretty good at that, add in fills and other minor complexities. The nice thing about fills is that they often come during pauses in the vocals.

If you're really good you won't have to dumb down your basslines at all. Keep practicing, try to sing while you play increasingly more difficult basslines. It can be done. Until then, the best thing to do is to play mainly root notes with fills added in every so often.
I play bass and sing in my band, and by no means is it easy. just keep practicing every day for awhile like thefitz said, and you'll get better. It isnt impossible, just look at geddy lee. He holds down the rhythm while singing and when theres a break in the vocals he can bust out a sweet fill.