I'm going to use my money from christmas and my birthday for an amp. Now I would like one with a great gain and clean channel for around 600 USD. So basically I'm asking. What is the best tone that you've come upon for relatively low priced amps. I'll make a survey out of this.
depends on your style of music.

your best bet is to learn classical music.
no amp necessary. :P
i just got a marshall MG250DFX for 500 american and its ****in great. 100 watts, reverb, chorus,flanger,delay and a footswitch. fantastic distortion
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
^ lol noob.

TS, what kinda gain channel are you looking for? Metal, rock, what?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Dirt Bag Boy
i just wasted 500 american on a marshall MG250DFX and its ****in great. 100 watts of horrible noise, terrifying reverb, chorus,flanger,delay and a footswitch. Aweful distortion

Fixed.
i heard the marshall mg's suck.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
MG = Males Genitals, well, that's what i have heard As you have $600 to spend i would recommend a tube amp. I'm no expert on amps so i don't know what to recommend.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
check out

carvin legacy 2x12 combo (it'd have to be used for your price range)

carvin bel air (my amp, its awesome)

peavey classic 30/50 head/combo

fender blues deluxe plus an awesome od pedal like the fulltone ocd
Quote by Dirt Bag Boy
i just got a marshall MG250DFX for 500 american and its ****in great. 100 watts, reverb, chorus,flanger,delay and a footswitch. fantastic distortion

A BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge, an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, and a DOD Grunge Pedal on a marshall mg250dfx

You must sound like cats being nailed to a chalkboard while a duck rapes it with a metal rusty metal spoon.

And i'm sure i'm gunna get the classic 30, but to get more overdriven hard rock sound i heard you need pedals
Quote by Dance_of_Death

You must sound like cats being nailed to a chalkboard while a duck rapes it with a metal rusty metal spoon.

My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
So Marshall MG anything is out? How about Crates? And If not, anyone know a nice sounding tube amp for rock?
Don't even look at a SS amp. If you buy a SS MG, Crate, Line 6, etc. Babies will die, do you want to kill babies?

Do yourself a favor and go used. Grab a Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo and you'll be set for a long time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Plenty of good, used tube combos on Ebay for that price. Look for JCM800 or JCM900 combos. Most SS's aren't really known for thier good clean tones, there are probably a few exceptions though.
inherently? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Aside from what the second post asked (what styles of music do you play), it's probably best to find out too - What level of income are you at? If you have like no cash till birthday or christmas, then it might be an idea to go for a solid state. Tube amps do have accidents, and tubes can go for seemingly no reason, and if you've got no cash to replace them, then you're stuffed.

Although if you have some form of income, you should be sweet as with a tube or solid state.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo