Whenever I bend on my 1st string, i barely get any sound from it when i am above about the 15th fret, does anyone know what the cause of this could be? This does not happen on any of my other strings which gets annoying when i am playing a solo and all of the sudden a part of it with the 1st string is quiet. its on my sz520
Quote by Tom_hatton

Second of all, you are female. Therefore, you do not deserve an opinion.

Quote by Rock'N'Soul
Oh! I'm also happy I was the fastest sperm.

Quote by Megadeth2011
That is quite possibly one of the best ideas someone has told me yet. Crackattack ur pretty smart.
Some guitar woods have more sustain. Pickups also affect sustain, Humbuckers have more sutain than single coils. Increasing string gauge also affects sustain; higher gauges give you more sustain

There might be a problem with your neck though, but I don't think so since it's just the bends on the higher strings
Up the Irons
Quote by crackattack
Whenever I bend on my 1st string, i barely get any sound from it when i am above about the 15th fret, does anyone know what the cause of this could be? This does not happen on any of my other strings which gets annoying when i am playing a solo and all of the sudden a part of it with the 1st string is quiet. its on my sz520

what gauge of strings are you using?
I use 52-10 boomers and have no problems.
+1
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
it sounds like his notes are choking to me rather than the wood having not much sustain...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
There is only so low you can go on the plain strings. When they choke out like that its usually because the action is to low. You dont usually have to raise it much to fix it.
okay sweet, ill raise the action a bit....do you have to raise both sides evenly when you do so or could i just raise the side i need to?
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Rock'N'Soul

Quote by Megadeth2011
That is quite possibly one of the best ideas someone has told me yet. Crackattack ur pretty smart.
Anyone?
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Rock'N'Soul

Quote by Megadeth2011
When you raise the action, you just loosen the truss rod a little bit. Usually there is just one...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
No, when you raise the action you raise the strings.

You should NEVER adjust a truss for the purpose of adjusting your action.

Raise the treble side just a little bit, test it, see if it plays fine. If you find yourself wanting to raise the bass side as well, then do it. But it'll be fine if you do just one side, as long as it's not an extreme amount.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Yea just a little at a time on the treble side. Then check it it will slowly get better as you raise it a little.
yeah i dont even think i have a truss rod anyways because my guitars one piece...i adjusted the action a little and got rid of my lower string buzz which i also had a problem with but i think i'll have to do the treble more to get rid of this problem
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Rock'N'Soul

Quote by Megadeth2011
you have a truss rod. but raise ur action at the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yes, you probably have to raise the action a bit. Why?

When you bend the string you physically move the string around the bend radius of the neck. Your neck might have a 9" radius, or 12" radius, or something else. It depends on the manufacturer and model. However far you move the string across the fret by bending, it still has to run to the same place on the nut. The more you bend the string, the closer it comes to other frets as it makes its way to the nut. Bend it enough and the string comes in contact with one or more other frets. At that point the string will be muted.

This is not something that jazz players worry about much, since most of them do not bend strings at all - they slide. That is why a jazz guitar may have significantly lower action than a guitar that is used for rock or blues. This is not a rule however. If you can afford to have your guitar set up properly on a regular basis, and do proper fret dressing too, you can improve the action of your guitar. There are other variables as well.